Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Regarding Bebside tamper and track liner Aug 81 C5479

I suspect that the machine nearest the camera is an early ballast regulator. It has a brush box on the front, a small hopper and ploughs at the back.

Phil,

Many thanks.

It doesn't really look at all like a tamper now I've looked at it more carefully!

David

Did that come through Retford for some reason? I'm sure I heard a 37 earlier today; it could have been going through to Gainsborough up the Brigg line.

Thanks EWD.

Phil 

Yes, I think it did Maltby-Worksop-Retford-Brigg-Cleethorpes via as many goods loops as possible.

• RMweb Gold

Wales today with a visit to the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway to look at preserved locos.

post-5613-0-22106700-1453635594_thumb.jpg

Castle Caereinion No 2 The Countess running round 1st September 1969 C093

post-5613-0-55019600-1453635602_thumb.jpg

Castle Caereinion No 10 ex Austrian Franco Belge 0-8-0T 25th Aug 1970 C298

post-5613-0-49279100-1453635608_thumb.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion Barclay Dougal 1st Aug 76 C2937

post-5613-0-11229000-1453635614_thumb.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion Sentinel Nutty 1st September 1969 C107

post-5613-0-50412500-1453635619_thumb.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion The Earl pass Llanfair to Sylfaen 1st Aug 76 C2935

post-5613-0-43142700-1453635624_thumb.jpg

Llanfair Caereinion The Earl pass Llanfair to Sylfaen 1st Aug 76 C2936

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to be late, but I have just got back from being out all day. Those are lovely photos of the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway.

The photo's of Bristol show the way it changed over the years. What a difference between a 47 hauled train and a class 150 DMU.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Did that come through Retford for some reason? I'm sure I heard a 37 earlier today; it could have been going through to Gainsborough up the Brigg line.

Thanks EWD.

Phil 

Yes it did as I found a clip on the Brigg Line Group on farcbrook.....!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's, and thank goodness the photo upload problems on this site are resolved!

The Cambrian Coast line is so scenic, reminiscent of Scotland in some respects.

I thought the rain and gales were due early tomorrow!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Truly exceptional photo's of Kings Cross and Finsbury Park. I agree about the appalling condition of Gordon Highlander. No one with a model weathered like that would get away with it! How dreadful that the Deltic was allowed to get into such a state!

Nice moody shots of Finsbury Park, they capture the essence of the station at that time so well.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

How did they get away with 105s on the KX-Cambridge trains?

I suppose Liverpool Street services saw a rise in passenger numbers if that was the alternative. I've experienced many a Cravens on the relaxed Lincs schedules and they were just about bearable, but the FP ones must have been thrashed day-in, day-out and close to falling apart by then.

How did they get away with 105s on the KX-Cambridge trains?

I suppose Liverpool Street services saw a rise in passenger numbers if that was the alternative. I've experienced many a Cravens on the relaxed Lincs schedules and they were just about bearable, but the FP ones must have been thrashed day-in, day-out and close to falling apart by then.

Until electrification of the link from Royston to Cambridge, the main route was from Cambridge to Liverpool Street. Agreed there were expresses (the Cambridge Buffet Express) to Kings Cross, giving a useful alternative, but Liverpool Street was quicker.

Stewart

Looking at the May 1969 GN suburban loco-hauled and DMU workings, of the 16 Mon-Fri through KX-Cambridge services, only 3 were Cravens workings at 06:30, 07:20 and 10:04 departures. There was a Derby class 116 departure at 18:30 and the rest were loco-hauled. On Saturdays there were a lot more Cravens through workings and Sundays too. However, outside of peak times they wouldn't have been unsuitable (although of course they did rattle!) and they were reliable enough. When KX suburban services were electrified they all saw service elsewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. For whatever reason, the thing about the Cravens DMU's was all that rattling and vibrating. I wonder why they were so badly afflicted in that way compared with other first generation units? Still it is great to see them going about their daily workings in those excellent photo's.

Best regards,

Rob.

I think it was because the sliding quarterlights and other fittings were standard Mk1. There seemed to be certain engine speeds, especially when idling, that would resonate with the fittings. The trailer cars were fine in my experience and would be my choice for finding a seat.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. That makes sense! Mk1 fittings were not designed to have diesel engines under the floor! The trailers were that quiet in comparison, that I often would fall asleep in them.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C143 'Insouciant', even. I do hope that track is under possession.

What's the first vehicle? SR bogie CCT?

The down main which he is standing on was in use - the 08 in C409 had passed some time before and about 10 minutes before I took C413 the down express C411 had passed.  He wasn't standing there then!

I'm not sure what the van is at the front of the train.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really good photo's of Chesterfield. I also like the two class 20's, with one in green, and one in blue. The vehicle leading in C413 looks quite like a bogie vehicle.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65