Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

More daily treats, more questions from me...     Post 5549, photo C 654: why does the near platform have a fixed distant under the starter, whereas the adjacent platform has a working distant (obviously 'off')?    The first vehicle looks like a rare Mk1 corridor brake first. 

Bill

The one with a worked distant was on the Up Main Line hence it would be more likely to be approached by non-stopping trains.  The one with the Fixed Distant was the Up Middle Line and it was in any case approached by a Distant Fixed at Caution in view of the fact that most - if not all - trains stopped and there was a speed restriction immediately in advance of Middle's Home Signal (the stop signal above the fixed distant plus it had a restricted approach speed.

Thus there was no real need to go in for the complexity of a working distant especially as it would have required some quite complicated controls as Exeter East's Up Main Distant (which it was) also controlled Exeter Middle's Up Main Distant.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

C1528/9 fascinated by that location, couldn't place it ...

I reckon you were at 52°18'46.24"N 2°12'20.44"W - on the south westerly of the two bridges looking north east, Sneads Green nearest village, that's Hartlebury's down distant in front of the other bridge

An area not often seen in photos - many thanks for sharing, remember batting along there at a fair lick in Swindon 120s on Worcester to Brum trains in the late 60s/early 70s

Phil

If you look to the left of the line in the second picture of Hartlebury you can see a short pole which carried the wire feeding the ATC ramp, which is also visible if you enlarge the picture. I remember replacing that signal with a colour light when the ATC was replaced by BR AWS. That would have been about 1975/6 I think. I wonder if those four wagons are still in the siding at Elmley Lovett. They are visible on Google Earth but may have gone now. The MOD siding was disconnected about 30 years ago.

Edited to add picture, you can see the underframes through the trees.

post-9767-0-90265200-1453325273.jpg

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Nice photo of the 37 at Maltby. There may a possible typegraphical error in the caption as D6827 was a centre headcode box loco. Looking at the photo it looks like it could be D6728.

Other than that, more excellent photos. Keep 'em coming!

• RMweb Gold

Nice photo of the 37 at Maltby. There may a possible typegraphical error in the caption as D6827 was a centre headcode box loco. Looking at the photo it looks like it could be D6728.

Other than that, more excellent photos. Keep 'em coming!

I think you are right - I wish the numbers would stay in the same place on my keyboard and not move around all the time..

David

Having enlarged J1080 as much as I can, the resolution isn't good enough to convince me that it would be D6728. From April 1966 to February 1975 D6728 was a March-based loco. Back then locos didn't tend to stray too far from diagrams based on their home depots, as a rule (although there were exceptions, when a depot purloined a stray loco for its own use), so a Maltby diagram would, most likely, be a Tinsley-based 37 - or possibly an Immingham one, if it had originated from Doncaster.

Not impossible for it to be D6728, which could have worked up to Doncaster from Whitemoor and then been nicked, but I'm sceptical!

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's from Manchester today. The class 104 DMU in the first photo' shows a touch of class with it's red buffer beam and white cab roof. In comparison, that class 142 in the final photo', is just ugly!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Back to Manchester for today's selection.  Once again when preparing these photos I thought 1990 was quite recent, but it really is over 25 years ago.

Thanks, make me feel old.... :(

But seriously thank you for continuing to put up fantastic photos every day.

Hope your Mum is recovering well

Andi

Harking back to that Maltby photo on the previous page, it just happened that the Branch Line Society ran a Carnforth-Cleethorpes tour down there today, with a 37 leading. It was 37706 apparently, formerly D6716, so not the same one as the old photo!

post-6971-0-75195200-1453559669.jpg

"Mind the gap between the train and the platform" - about 6 feet and nearly 90 years since a passenger train stopped there, apart from the odd excursion, according to Wikipedia and others.

Apologies for the thread hijack - normal service can now resume.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 12

C15610 of South Newsham, shows Signalman Dennis Christenson who lived in the Railway Cottages in the background. Dennis always used to invite me in to the box when I had finished my paper round at the railway cottages.

A lot of my love for railways especially signal boxes & signals were formulated there. Dennis also used to organise trips all other the country either by rail or coach. One memorable trip by rail was to London when we visited all the major stations & depots. On the way back the train came up the Leamside line and we went past Gateshead Depot. This was a bonus but missed by most of the group as it was about 6am and most of us were a sleep.

• Like 4

Hi, Dave. Love the SR of BR photo's. I think, in that last one, the class 416 is one of those from Tyneside. The bigger guards/luggage van is the main clue.

With best regards,

Rob.

Apologies for the lateness as I have been 'away' and I'm trying to catch up on this thread - if Dave could stop posting for a few days I might catch up! :no:

As I've not seen a follow up to the above post (originally on Page 209 (!))...

The 2EPB referred to (5727) is a BR(S) unit. The ex-Tyneside units were numbered 5781-95 when they were converted for use on the Southern Region, and from the front had a 'Phase 2' headcode box which was smaller than the 'Phase 1' boxes (effectively the later boxes lost the bottom 1/3rd of the earlier ones).

Edited by talisman56

C15378, Manchester Oxford Road, doubt you'd get that much sunlight in a shot now, It's pretty much hemmed in by tall buildings, shows how things change even recently. Given these new buildings I can't help but wonder where they're going to fit extra tracks in. I believe it's proposed to 4 track the area?

I once worked in an office where the numbers on the phone console keypad could be removed, and of course someone eventually succumbed to temptation ! Utter confusion resulted. 

There's the computing support shaggy dog story about the old duffer who just couldn't get used to the QWERTY layout, so removed all the keycaps and put the letters in alphabetical order - then couldn't understand why all his documents came out in Swahili...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Page 216 - C9252 - On enlargement, the EDL looks like 73123 (caption says 7313).

The left hand high-rise has fire damage a few floors from the top...

Thanks for the note about the number, yet another typing error.

David

• RMweb Premium

Harking back to that Maltby photo on the previous page, it just happened that the Branch Line Society ran a Carnforth-Cleethorpes tour down there today, with a 37 leading. It was 37706 apparently, formerly D6716, so not the same one as the old photo!

attachicon.gifK50P1533 Maltby 37706.jpg

"Mind the gap between the train and the platform" - about 6 feet and nearly 90 years since a passenger train stopped there, apart from the odd excursion, according to Wikipedia and others.

Apologies for the thread hijack - normal service can now resume.

Did that come through Retford for some reason? I'm sure I heard a 37 earlier today; it could have been going through to Gainsborough up the Brigg line.

Thanks EWD.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Regarding Bebside tamper and track liner Aug 81 C5479

I suspect that the machine nearest the camera is an early ballast regulator. It has a brush box on the front, a small hopper and ploughs at the back.