Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Photo C302 of the iron ore tipplers is just how I remember them on the High Dyke - Frodingham trains, no two wagons seemed to be the same. Some were slightly higher or lower than others, there were unlimited variations in the placing of the black rectangle with "iron ore tippler" painted on.

I have a lot of the Bachmann products, but even behind an O1, O4 or WD, they do not quite look the part as they are all too uniform.

I'm sure there were hundreds that were identical, but they rarely seemed to be marshalled next to each other.

Love the photos of Pilmoor today, the two-tone green with maroon coaches really worked as a livery, didn't it?

What a shame someone decided on overall blue for everything.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's of Pilmoor today. The one of Flying Scotsman, I think that it was shown on BBC TV. I remember the broadcast very well indeed. And that is such a lovely photo which your Father took of the engine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Love the pictures of York. Think the hoppers wagons behind D8308 carried sand down the Foss Islands branch for the glassworks.

That was in the days when you could still get from the Scarborough Branch, on to the Scarborough Curve and onto the Slow Lines at York Yard South Junction!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photo's of York. That third one of the Stanier Black Five is very nostalgic, and took me straight back to when steam was still an everyday sight and sound on the railway in this part of the world. The one of D8308 shows a class 20 running on its own as was usually the case on the Hull to Bridlington pick up freight, as well, until the early '80's. That practice must have been one of those particular to East Yorkshire. If anyone can give more information that would be very helpful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I don't believe I've ever seen a picture of Hougham signal box before; I've been told I had a relative who worked there.  Thanks again for posting these - lovely pictures!

The Bullion train was probably returning from Tyneside Central Freight Depot; there was a weekly working at this time. I worked at an office block overlooking there at the time, and the palaver with the police when such a train was due was like something out of the Sweeney, including a police Granada shadowing the wagons from the reception sidings, and forgetting the bend in the road.

• Like 1

I remember that clock on platform one at Newark NG. Brings back some memories.

The foot crossing where 47237 is passing has now closed and been removed. Apparently there was too many 'near misses' according to Network Rail.

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. It great to hear that your Mum has been moved from the Emergency Hospital, and is now in the General Hospital. I hope that she will continue to recuperate well, and that she will, in due time, be able to go back home where she belongs.

I love the photo's of the WCML. You have covered several of the classes of the electric locos used on the line in BR days. It is great to see them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.