Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

You have done it again in bringing back memories.

This time it was often waiting at Rockingham Station level crossing for the branch train from Rugby whilst travelling south on family visits in the early 60s. Small Ivatts and a couple of suburban coaches - wonderful.

Rockingham was the next station to Seaton although it was actually only just outside, and much closer to Caldecott, than Rockingham itself. 

Thanks yet again.

Re the 08 - I was at first convinced it was not in the train but, the more I look at the picture and also at some of the simulations, I have now changed my mind and agree that it is in the train itself.

Rockingham was an interesting Station, located in one county (Leics), named after a village in another county (Northants) and the closest village was Caldecott in a third county (Rutland).

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A very interesting selection of photos. Seaton looks very empty without either trains or track. In J1619, there is a good view of a class 20 hauled freight in the countryside. And I would imagine that the road going under that bridge at Lutterworth would flood often in heavy rain.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

just a suggestion, can someone maybe start a new thread about 'shunters in trains/on the main line' or similar - if only to stop the discussion clogging up Dave's thread?

No offence to anyone intended, it just seems to have reached the 'yes it is'/ 'no it isn't' stage.

However, there have been some informative posts about various examples and practices which would warrant a thread of their own

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of Western photos today. And in J2626, that is indeed one of the three wheel Invacars. Also you can see some very short telegraph poles, I think it was to help keep the wires level.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

attachicon.gifHereford Bulmers 4073 Pendennis Castle being cleaned prior to working a McAlpine private charter to Shrewsbury Sunday 7th April 1974 C1566.jpg

Hereford Bulmers 4073 Pendennis Castle being cleaned prior to working a McAlpine private charter to Shrewsbury Sunday 7th April 1974 C1566

David

The loco also worked a couple of railtours to/from Newport on Saturday 6th April 1974 with 4472 doing the opposite legs. Driving from Bucks, I was too late to witness the northbound train behind Scotsman, but saw it coming south, and 4073's northbound departure. I have a couple of slides from that day somewhere - but can I find them?

• RMweb Gold

Well, what a coincidence! Last week I was at a theme park in Holland with one of the offspring (half-term) and at the entrance to a roller coaster called "Mine Train" there was an original GWR sign exactly like the one in C0877. The ride itself reminded me of travelling from Reading to Portsmouth on a class 205 Hampshire unit.

• Like 1

Ugh! Invacars...disturbing childhood memories of visiting the local cornershop (a VG store!) where there would be 1 or 2 of these horrible blue things parked outside. In them were various rather scary blokes that would shout across to you asking if you would do their shopping for them. Being of a timid nature at 5 or 6 years old I always ran a mile if they shouted to me!

Later on, in the late 70's I used to ride an off road motorbike on a bit of derelict land near our house and one day turned up to find someone had dumped about 6 of these blue meanies there and set fire to them, returning for the scrap later. All of them had what looked like Villiers 2 stroke engines in them.

Jon F.

• Like 2