Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A lot of the early air braked vans were also vac piped (and later became TOPS code VBB) 

I think, at that time, the rule regarding  'fully fitted' trains with through piped vehicles and fitted vehicles behind

was that a maximum of five consecutive piped vehicles were permitted with a minimum of two fitted vehicles on the rear.

So I would suggest either there are two short vacuum braked vehicles at the rear, one hiding behind the signal post,  

or the train is incorrectly marshalled.

cheers

There seems to be at least one vehicle (possibly an open) visible between the second AB van and the signal post.

I noted in photo's C3507 and J2650 a small black rectangle above the coupling on the Deltic's.

Is that where the small screwdriver goes to pop the body off?  :jester:

That was the built in draught.  As diesels up till then had had doors on the front which were draughty it was felt unfair that drivers on the Deltics would have a favourable less draughty environment so with union agreement it was agreed to fit in a draught,

• RMweb Gold

J2650 - the difference in yellow of the warning panels of the 31 and 55 is significant and I.m not sure just down to ththe 31 being dirty. Wasn't the yellow colour specified/controlled in those days?

It probably was, but the rule wasn't always applied, I remember going round Old Oak Common and seeing a Warship being repainted from a tin of Dulux yellow gloss paint.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of the Blyth and Tyne. In C7290, you can see how someone has marked on the 200 of 37200 on the front of the nose end.

That day was really quite cold, and here in East Yorkshire that day, I was on a steam hauled railtour which was badly affected by heavy snow. We only just made it back to Hull from Scarborough behind Black 5 5305.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

For yesterdays photos:

1A20 was (on Saturdays) the 11:05 Bradford/11:42 Leeds-KX

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh - possibly a little earlier than May, not much greenery on the tree - which would also fit in with the (Saturday) set of Mk2a coaches as seen which changed from the 3rd May.

6N27 was the 11:55SO Temple Mills to Tees

1N29 was the 19:00 KX-Newcastle

J2550 may be the 09:20 Leeds FLT to Tilbury RCT

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For yesterdays photos:

1A20 was (on Saturdays) the 11:05 Bradford/11:42 Leeds-KX

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh - possibly a little earlier than May, not much greenery on the tree - which would also fit in with the (Saturday) set of Mk2a coaches as seen which changed from the 3rd May.

6N27 was the 11:55SO Temple Mills to Tees

1N29 was the 19:00 KX-Newcastle

J2550 may be the 09:20 Leeds FLT to Tilbury RCT

Thanks again Mark.

I think the May date for the Deltic and 31 together is probably correct, despite the trees.  The most likely date is Saturday 1st May.  Dad's notes show he was in the West Midlands the previous weekend.  On 17th April Dad was in Surrey staying with friends and after that he took one more set of photos before the deltic/Class 31 image.  He would have been back at work from 19th April so could only take photos on Saturdays ( he generally stayed at home on Sundays).  So the set between Surrey and this one must have been taken on 24th April, making this the 1st May.  The Met Office records show it was a cold April with temperatures in the area just over 1C below average and a lot of night frosts which would account for the lack of leaves at the start of May - which was not actually unusual in the area.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from the West Midlands today. As always it is good to see the class 310's, such classy units. Four Oaks looks unchanged from steam days, just a change of traction to diesel.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the Midland Main line today. Kegworth was looking a bit dog eared at the time of the photo whilst the platforms were being removed and other work was taking place there. And, as always, with the MML, it is great to see the 44's, 45's and 46's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The freight behind Tryfan in J1567 looks as though it could be an empty spoil train; it seems to have the essential feature of an LMR one that no two wagons of the same type should be coupled together. I worked opposite Alsager tip about a decade later, and you'd see the same combination of 3-plank opens, steel Medfits, 13t Sand, Shock opens and so on, but rarely would you see any purpose-built Engineer's stock.

Some photos on the Midland Main Line today between Ratcliffe on Soar and Hathern for today.  For those who don't know the area we are between Nottingham and Loughborough once again.

The photos were taken between 1969 and 1976.

attachicon.gifp Kegworth Class 45 up ex pass Dec 69 C191.jpg

Kegworth Class 46 up ex pass Dec 69 C191

David

..., it is great to see the 44's, 45's and 46's.

I'm just wondering how common the Class 46s were on the Midland line.

I never remember seeing any, although before TOPS numbers came in, I wouldn't  have known the difference anyway.  My father wouldn't buy me an ABC until "after they've finished renumbering all the engines"...

• RMweb Premium

I'm just wondering how common the Class 46s were on the Midland line.

I never remember seeing any, although before TOPS numbers came in, I wouldn't  have known the difference anyway.  My father wouldn't buy me an ABC until "after they've finished renumbering all the engines"...

Hi David

I spent too many days spotting when young at Bedford and Holbeck locos would turn up every now and then. I think I saw most on the Midland. Gateshead locos were unknown, to see them it was a bike ride over to Sandy or St Neots. Holbeck locos were also seen on the GNR.

Hi David

I spent too many days spotting when young at Bedford and Holbeck locos would turn up every now and then. I think I saw most on the Midland. Gateshead locos were unknown, to see them it was a bike ride over to Sandy or St Neots. Holbeck locos were also seen on the GNR.

From my recollections of spotting in the 70s, class 46s were worthy of note on the Midland but none too frequent on passenger turns, probably down to most passenger stock requiring ETH (ETS). At that point I believe the 46s were all concentrated at Gateshead and Laira, I can't be certain but I'd guess the ones which appeared were Gateshead based.

One which does stick in my memory was 46055 which hung around on passenger turns for a week or more in late 1978 or early 1979, failing at least twice, once at Dock Jct and once at Kettering.

Dave, some great photos on here, I like the ones of the 08 at Shirebrook, great stuff!

I would like to ask if you ever photted the Longport to Worksop Sand trains passing Shirebrook, or indeed anywhere between Longport and Worksop?

I am in the process of collating images for an article and if any get used they would be paid for.

Thanks in anticipation

• RMweb Premium

From my recollections of spotting in the 70s, class 46s were worthy of note on the Midland but none too frequent on passenger turns, probably down to most passenger stock requiring ETH (ETS). At that point I believe the 46s were all concentrated at Gateshead and Laira, I can't be certain but I'd guess the ones which appeared were Gateshead based.

One which does stick in my memory was 46055 which hung around on passenger turns for a week or more in late 1978 or early 1979, failing at least twice, once at Dock Jct and once at Kettering.

Hi Rangers

I think I might be a bit older, they were green when I started spotting, and no electric heating. In fact no heating unless you were in the front few coaches as the steam leaked out of every joint. When the Mk2 air con stock was cascaded on to the Midland the sight of a 46 (as the "Brushes" had become) was a rarity. Also when I started standing in the cold on the end of platforms there were still a few Leeds trains to and from St Pancras.

Re-Class 46 allocations.

The Midland Lines batch were D 138 - D165.

Many were reallocated to the WR early in 1969 to replace diesel-hydraulics. The last ones going to the WR went in May 1971.

Cheers Peter

I have just had butchers at my Locoshed books.............well a few were Holbeck engines from time to time :blush: 

Holbeck Cromptons weren't that common but did make it down to St Pancras. That's what I was thinking about.

• RMweb Gold

Dave, some great photos on here, I like the ones of the 08 at Shirebrook, great stuff!

I would like to ask if you ever photted the Longport to Worksop Sand trains passing Shirebrook, or indeed anywhere between Longport and Worksop?

I am in the process of collating images for an article and if any get used they would be paid for.

Thanks in anticipation

I've had a look and can't find any photos - both Dad and I rarely ventured into the right areas!

Also most of our photography was at weekends except when we weren't working.  I've also had a look at my Erewash Valley photos and drew a blank.

Sorry,

David

Edited by DaveF

I've had a look and can't find any photos - both Dad and I rarely ventured into the right areas!

Also most of our photography was at weekends except when we weren't working.  I've also had a look at my Erewash Valley photos and drew a blank.

Sorry,

David

Thanks for looking David, much obliged anyway