Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I've had a look at my black and white photo of the same loco and train,  the cabside is much too dirty to read the number.  I don't think the numbers on the smokebox door are the loco number.

It would have been interesting to know which loco it was.

David

I wonder if it could be the reporting number of the train?

The wagons seem to be loaded with rock salt, probably from Over and Wharton, near Winsford.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of the WCML. In the last one, the unit, on closer examination, has one Rolls Royce engine per car - thats despite the DMCL not having a crest - and since it has the standard size indicators, that makes it a class 112 unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Something looks 'odd' about that Craven's DMU in J626, but I can't think what :senile:

It's possibly the equipment on the underframe being a 112 that are quite rarely photographed the two single engines look a bit odd

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Its another numbering conundrum!!!

That Brush type 4 in J608 has fixed 3 part radiator grilles, looks like a Stones boiler and seems to be VB only - as built D1819 was serck rad grilles and dual brakes, no boiler

D1619 as built fits the above profile and was a WCML loco April 66- Feb 67 - what do you think?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Its another numbering conundrum!!!

That Brush type 4 in J608 has fixed 3 part radiator grilles, looks like a Stones boiler and seems to be VB only - as built D1819 was serck rad grilles and dual brakes, no boiler

D1619 as built fits the above profile and was a WCML loco April 66- Feb 67 - what doyou think?

Phil

Phil,

I think you are probably right.

I can't quite read the number on the scan, it was not clear on the slide either, Dad could easily have written down one digit incorrectly, I have done often enough.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again David

These days there are a few trains that come off the LTS to Liverpool Street,back then was it isolated from the rest of the network I the way of no passenger services to other lines served by other trains?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Another great set of photo's of the L.T.& S.R. In the first photo at Fenchurch Street station, it is fascinating to read the board about 'punctual departures'. I wonder if it was that which led to the present day practice of closing and locking train doors thirty seconds before departure?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again David

These days there are a few trains that come off the LTS to Liverpool Street,back then was it isolated from the rest of the network I the way of no passenger services to other lines served by other trains?

I think a few Sunday morning trains may have started/finished at Liverpool Street.

David

Hi, Dave. Another great set of photo's of the L.T.& S.R. In the first photo at Fenchurch Street station, it is fascinating to read the board about 'punctual departures'. I wonder if it was that which led to the present day practice of closing and locking train doors thirty seconds before departure?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The same sign also could be found on the barriers at Kings Cross when I was there in the early 80's. They did cause a few altercations between the barrier staff and passengers, but trains did tend to get away on time, especially on the suburban side.

I think a few Sunday morning trains may have started/finished at Liverpool Street.

David

I remember being at Liverpool Street  on early Sunday mornings and hearing announcements for trains to LT&S destinations. I don't know what time in the day it continued until, but it was certainly a way of saving money as you could maintain a service to Shoeburyness/Southend Vic, without having to open signal boxes  on the Fenchurch Street section of the line. The Sunday service in and out of Liverpool Street being such that you could run such a service, something that would not be possible during the week.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

You've done it yet again! Thanks for the pictures and memories awakened.

I remember spotting at Newstead. You could see the midland, GN and GC lines at once.

The first two pictures are notable for the amount of telephone wires and poles.

Newstead colliery and the spoil heaps are prominent. When I returned to living in the midlands after a "temporary" 40 year absence I kept wondering what was missing at first and, of course, it was the many pitheads and spoil heaps in that area. Not pleasant to look at in those days but a major source of employment that shaped the area and the people. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photos from the East Midlands. The first three are so evocative of a railway which has now changed out of all recognition. Steam engines hauling Stanier corridor carriages on class B trains seem such a distant memory now along with 40's on traditional freight trains. I think all of that is one reason why we make models of railways so that we can relive those long ago times.

The last photo shows how parched the grass had become by August of 1976. But by the end of September there was just too much rain, a total change! Please keep these very valuable photos coming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I'd lke to try and upload myself into Dave's collection and live in those times!

I say to my Mrs when we are watching 60s or 70s films if I run hard enough and go head first through the TV screen will I be back to those times?

• Like 1

Nice contrast in the different shades of "bauxite" on those cattle wagons in the  4E31.

I'd lke to try and upload myself into Dave's collection and live in those times!

But would you be happy wearing sparkly tank tops and flared high waisters and living in a house with brown & orange flowery wallpaper?  :wink_mini:

P