Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Newcastle to Lincoln... I do miss the days of through trains (normally one day) between a wide variety of not necessarily logical origins and destinations. It's all far too boring and predictable these days.

A lot of these workings would have relied for passengers upon military personnel on weekend leave warrants; for many years now, such people have had their own vehicles. 

• RMweb Gold

Is it a hot box or are the brakes on the fitted head getting a real hammering?

You could be right but when I enlarge to original scan the leading wagon is mainly grey (and rust) so it ought to be unfitted.

But you never know.

I wish I could remember the smell and exactly what I saw but it's a bit too long ago now.  I did write hot boxes on the back of my b/w print I made from my shot of the same train.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's from Chaloner's Whin Junction. I particularly like D6724 in J654. What a time that was when you got 37's hauling Thompson corridor coaches. Never again would that happen. I love these photo's for enabling us to go back to those good old days. More please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Is it a hot box or are the brakes on the fitted head getting a real hammering?

What fitted head? The first wagon is an LNER diagram 100 - riveted bodywork, high, NER-style lever - and none of those were fitted. The second vehicle, an iron ore tippler, has a tiebar and no tippler with a tiebar was fitted. The brakes aren't pinned down so it isn't the brakeshoes, therefore Dave's note and recollection is most likely correct and the front pair of wagons are running on hot 'boxes.

Adam

Newcastle to Lincoln... I do miss the days of through trains (normally one day) between a wide variety of not necessarily logical origins and destinations. It's all far too boring and predictable these days.

Yes, during the winter the Newcastle to Colchester was cut back to Lincoln. Lots of RAF bases in that area.

• RMweb Gold

It is possible that the brakes are applied on the opposite side but there is no significant gradient so I wouldn't have thought so unless the levers have just dropped down I'd also say hotbox but three so close together is unusual

Just catching up on your terrific photo library Dave, certainly takes me back. I notice you visit Ratcliffe-on-Soar pretty often, did you live in that area for a while? I lived in Nottingham from 1972-1981 and never took any photos locally, such a dimwit eh! :scared:

• RMweb Gold

What's with the 'whitewashed' second van in J800 (post 9172)??

Bill

I wondered whether it had been carrying bagged cement (or other white powder) and some had burst when loading/unloading.

David

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up on your terrific photo library Dave, certainly takes me back. I notice you visit Ratcliffe-on-Soar pretty often, did you live in that area for a while? I lived in Nottingham from 1972-1981 and never took any photos locally, such a dimwit eh! :scared:

The family lived in and around Nottingham until 1965, Mum and Dad moved back to the east of Nottingham in 1968 and stayed for some years, so Ratcliffe on Soar was not far away, was good for parking and provided a number of nice views.

David

• RMweb Premium

It is possible that the brakes are applied on the opposite side but there is no significant gradient so I wouldn't have thought so unless the levers have just dropped down I'd also say hotbox but three so close together is unusual

It could just be the trailing axles on the first two wagons with hot boxes, white-ish smoke being more likely to be oil than brakes.

Could they be cripples on the way to a wagon works?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It could just be the trailing axles on the first two wagons with hot boxes, white-ish smoke being more likely to be oil than brakes.

Could they be cripples on the way to a wagon works?

Dave

Hot boxes cause derailments, so I very much doubt that wagons would be allowed to run with them, they would more than likely be red carded.

• RMweb Gold

Hot boxes cause derailments, so I very much doubt that wagons would be allowed to run with them, they would more than likely be red carded.

Or it could be a case of dragging brakes, something else that would trigger a hot box detector and require attention or a slow run to a yard where it could be obtained.  It would be very unusual to have two hot boxes on different axles of the same wagon.

I can remember the local toe-rags living near Corkerhill MPD passing their time filling the axle-boxes of stabled 16t mineral wagons from a plentiful supply of sand around the depot, loco's awaiting withdrawal being an easy source from their sandboxes.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave,

Is there any chance I might be able to use your pic. of Renishaw to complement an article on the works  I am working on to appear in Railway Bylines?

Nick.

PM sent

David

• RMweb Premium

Love the second van behind D238 wonder what goods that had been used for ? If I weathered a van like that I would think I had over done it !! Thanks again for sharing your photos Dave . Dennis

• RMweb Gold

You could be right but when I enlarge to original scan the leading wagon is mainly grey (and rust) so it ought to be unfitted.

But you never know.

I wish I could remember the smell and exactly what I saw but it's a bit too long ago now.  I did write hot boxes on the back of my b/w print I made from my shot of the same train.

David

They certainly look like hotboxes but the smell would be the real clue as hot boxes have a  smell all of their own and it's different from the smell of burning brake blocks.  I reckon early stage  on the way to hotboxeshotboxes because unless it's a trick of the light there's no sign of heat damage on the axlebox covers so it's probably just the pads burning and noy yet damaging the journals.  If it was the journals seriously on the way you'd have heard it as well as smelt it.

As for 'two together' the one for that used to be the Malago Vale - Old Oak Common empty vans which picked up ex-works vehicles at Swindon and it was quite common for at least one of the ex-works ones to have a  hotbox by Ealing and not unknown for there to be several.