Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Is the pic of Flying Scotsman really 1968? I thought that line closed in 1966.

Thanks for asking that RANGERS, when I captioned the photo I had to check it as I thought it had closed around then too.

However, It really was 1968, in 1966 Dad, who took the photo was living in Harrogate.  I was also there that day and took some black and white photos so again it had to be 1968 - in 1966 I too was in Harrogate and still at school.

The dates for the line are:

Opened to goods 1 Nov 1879

Opened to passengers  2 Feb 1880

Closed to passengers 1 May 1967

Line closed as a through route 4th Nov 1968

After that the down line was "taken out of use for traffic purposes", one engine in steam working Melton Junction to Old Dalby on up line, remainder of up line to Edwalton closed completely. 18th December 1968

From 30th August 1970 in use for Research Department.

Source:  The Midland Railway a Chronology.  John Gough.  RCHS 1989

Edited by DaveF

Re J023, what is that behind the middle cab window? Following the progress of the Baby Deltic Project prompts another question: did the three types of "triple glazed" English Electric loco have identical cab windows and doors?

I could look at photos of EE Type 4s all day long, particularly in green. So graceful, dignified and classy looking.

• RMweb Gold

The type 4 in J023 is a wee bit unusual, livery wise. Yellow warning panel but no OLE flashes. Most locos had the OLE flashes before the yella was added to the front.

I reckon that Whistler is one of the last ones from D385 to D399, all delivered with yellow panels. The yellow panel has curved bottom corners, the usual style was for the top corners to be curved. But the giveaway is the yellow axle box covers, which only the last few had from new. All of these ones seem to have run around with no OLE flashes to start with, and then one OLE on the right hand sign, before getting both around 1964. The loco in the photo is between one and six months old.

Re J023, what is that behind the middle cab window? Following the progress of the Baby Deltic Project prompts another question: did the three types of "triple glazed" English Electric loco have identical cab windows and doors?

I could look at photos of EE Type 4s all day long, particularly in green. So graceful, dignified and classy looking.

Sun visor........

Great pictures Dave, thanks.

I am trying to work out where J1460 was taken. I assume the train is on the down line, given the routing, but the fact we can see the pylon in the distance implies we are on the down side somewhere south of Plumtree station but I am struggling to come up with the actual location. Maybe in the Platt Lane sports field?

ROB

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photos of the GEML today. What a great sight the class 306 makes in C2077. They were some the last LNER carriages of any type left in passenger service by that date. Gresley buffet cars being the others.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos taken around Benton Quarry Junction today.

When I took these photos there was still a south to west facing connection from the ECML onto the Metro line for the freight traffic to Rowntrees at Fawdon.

The junction with the Blyth and Tyne to to North Blyth, Cambois, Lynemouth and Morpeth is still in use.

At that time the Metro system was only partly completed so trains only ran as far as Haymarket in Newcastle.

attachicon.gifBenton Quarry Junction Class 47 down Aug 81 C5533.jpg

Benton Quarry Junction Class 47 down Aug 81 C5533   The Blyth and Tyne is seen going off to the left.

attachicon.gifBenton Quarry Junction Metro Aug 81 C5534.jpg

Benton Quarry Junction Metro Aug 81 C5534

attachicon.gifBenton Quarry Junction Class 47 downn Aug 81 C5535.jpg

Benton Quarry Junction Class 47 down Aug 81 C5535

attachicon.gifBenton Metro 4085 Tynemouth to Haymarket Aug 81 C5536.jpg

Benton Metro 4085 Tynemouth to Haymarket Aug 81 C5536

attachicon.gifBenton Quarry Junction Class 55 up Aug 81 C5538.jpg

Benton Quarry Junction Class 55 up Aug 81 C5538    probably 55017 (see post 9109 below).

David

As suggested by others - this photo is 100% 55017 'The Durham Light Infantry' with the missing footstep on the nose on one end after collision damage early in 1980 - I should know with my Username!!!!

We haven't had anything from the Great eastern Main Line for a couple of weeks so I though a few photos between Ingatestone and Hatfield Peverel might be a good idea for today.

attachicon.gifHatfield Peverel Class 37 and Class 31 up freight Mar 75 C1958.jpg

Hatfield Peverel Class 37 and Class 31 up freight Mar 75 C1958

David

David, 

Looks like a sand train from Marks Tey to Mile End.

• RMweb Premium

A pair of nice dmu shots there. The first one has a the last vehicle as a Met-cam 101, but there appears to be something going on next to the destination blind?

The second shot has a four car 101, with the second vehicle in the BR repaint livery.

Did the shunter wonder where his pole was after the EE3 had left I wonder?

Andy G

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A pair of nice dmu shots there. The first one has a the last vehicle as a Met-cam 101, but there appears to be something going on next to the destination blind?

The second shot has a four car 101, with the second vehicle in the BR repaint livery.

Andy G

Hi Andy

I think it is s light bit of damage to the slide.

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful images as always. Slight correction, the loco in J351 is a Peak, Class 45 or 46.

It is a bit obvious that it's a 45 isn't it.  I think I need a new proof reader - it will have been a slip of my typing finger again.

Andy G

Hi Andy

I think it is s light bit of damage to the slide.

The marks on the image are scratches.  I generally try not to remove them if they are on part of a train so as not to introduce anything else odd - ever since I managed to moved some roof vents on an image I put of flickr.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I have enjoyed seeing the photos of Brynglas on the Talyllyn Railway.

And the photos of Ulleskelf are very nostalgic. It is just possible to make out how the air pipe is bracketed below the cab front on the class 104 in a way that was a bit different from other first generation DMU's.

And I wonder why BR changed the lining specification on the Metropolitan Cammell units. Perhaps it was a bit cheaper?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I have enjoyed seeing the photos of Brynglas on the Talyllyn Railway.

And the photos of Ulleskelf are very nostalgic. It is just possible to make out how the air pipe is bracketed below the cab front on the class 104 in a way that was a bit different from other first generation DMU's.

And I wonder why BR changed the lining specification on the Metropolitan Cammell units. Perhaps it was a bit cheaper?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

Cheaper and easier, I have quite a few Lima Met-Cams to repaint and I have a feeling many might be "BR re-lined".

• RMweb Gold

My apologies, I'm not sure how I posted these in this thread, they are now in the correct place as well.

Some more from Arth Goldau today.

post-5613-0-41475600-1486999981_thumb.jpg

Arth Goldau SOB BDt 292 Luzern to Romanshorn 3rd August 1988 C10086

post-5613-0-87292500-1486999958_thumb.jpg

Arth Goldau Re4/4iii 11369 Chiasso to Schaffhausen 5th Aug 88 C10208

post-5613-0-75160800-1486999975_thumb.jpg

Arth Goldau SOB BDe4/4 85 Arth Goldau to St Gallen 5th Aug 88 C10218

post-5613-0-45541800-1486999963_thumb.jpg

Arth Goldau 2 of Re4/4ii 7th Aug 88 C10428

post-5613-0-27357200-1486999970_thumb.jpg

Arth Goldau Re6/6 11681 Basel to Chiasso 7th Aug 88 C10433

David