Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

It is possible that the brakes are applied on the opposite side but there is no significant gradient so I wouldn't have thought so unless the levers have just dropped down I'd also say hotbox but three so close together is unusual

I wonder if these two vehicles have both had previous hot boxes on different trains and been detached into a nearby cripple siding. They have been temporarily repaired to enable them to run to York, perhaps at reduced speed, arrangements made for them to be picked up by 8J14,  and they have now run hot again on the way?

Really nice photo though!

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Premium

I loved the photo that shows the Riley 1.5 being repaired. The colours are really sharp and in someways shows that the railway was quite dull.

All excellent shots as normal,

Thanks Dave

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the mostly BR SR photos. In C1971, of 4CEP, 7184 at Sole Street, there is what appears to be a bare metal panel behind the cab. I wonder if there had been some work carried out, and there hadn't been time to paint it in grey?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A really magnificent set of photos of the West Highland line today. It runs through some of the very best scenery, which has been so well captured in those photos. C6864 sums up the desolation of that area of Scotland so perfectly. More please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I noticed that. I wonder if Dave has the address of the chap - he could come round & fix mine... ;)

I think he might be a bit old now - it's 50 years since Dad and I were there that day.

I can't go an collect him for you as my time machine is a single seater.

David

• RMweb Gold

Were those May 1985 shots from the Whitley Bay Horticultural Sociey's special to Fort William and Mallaig? We were on that!

Yes they were - it was a very good day out.  I went on a number of their trips around that time.

David

Thanks for yet more great photos Dave. The Grangemouth/Dalston oil traffic has been on the go for many years; Certainly from at least 1984, when I moved to Scotland, and still running today, with, I believe, the same headcodes; 6M34 (Up) and 6S36 (Down), although with variations between Carlisle Yard and Dalston.

Edited by caradoc

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Cumbrian railways. The last one is a real gem showing the rural nature of the CK & P line. It is great to see 70005 in J489, I think you have the number right, everything points to it being that engine. And what a bad state it was in - so typical of those last years of steam.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Dave,

The Brit' is 70025 (sorry Rob)It was a Crewe South loco at the time only moving to Carlisle in September 66'. Looks like Crewe removed the Western smoke deflectors after its 1961 transfer to the LMR.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

The Brit' is 70025 (sorry Rob)It was a Crewe South loco at the time only moving to Carlisle in September 66'. Looks like Crewe removed the Western smoke deflectors after its 1961 transfer to the LMR.

Thanks Mike61680.

Dad had it down as 70005 in his notes but when I had a close look at the slide before I scanned it I wasn't sure, and was even less certain when I did the caption the other day.

Many thanks for clarifying that it is 70025.

David

• RMweb Gold

In this photo J347 looks like a shunters pole across the buffer beam?

It probably is a shunter's pole.

I have a number of photos of locos with them, it shouldn't have happened but it did.

David

• RMweb Gold
Hi Dave,

The Brit' is 70025 (sorry Rob)It was a Crewe South loco at the time only moving to Carlisle in September 66'. Looks like Crewe removed the Western smoke deflectors after its 1961 transfer to the LMR.[/quote

Look closely and you can just make out under the grime the hand grips installed in place of the hand rails by the WR after the 1956 fatal derailment.The deflector still has the modification.