Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A smashing set of photos, Dave.

J 2660 & J 2665.

Are these the only two parcels trains ever photographed WITHOUT a Southern PMV in them, or is it just my eyesight?

Regards

Ian

I thought that, but you got there first :)

Hi Dave,

The Brit' is 70025 (sorry Rob)It was a Crewe South loco at the time only moving to Carlisle in September 66'. Looks like Crewe removed the Western smoke deflectors after its 1961 transfer to the LMR.

I believe that not all WR 'Brits' (even when on the WR) had Swindon's beautiful, brass-edged, rectangular hand-holes. As ever, a reliably-dated image is needed.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A quality set of photos as taken by your Dad of the ECML at Essendine. In J2731, you not only have an excellent photo' of a Deltic hauled train, but you can also see how the railway cuts straight through the landscape without anything getting in its way.

I think in J2732 you meant to say 9021.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

I believe that not all WR 'Brits' (even when on the WR) had Swindon's beautiful, brass-edged, rectangular hand-holes. As ever, a reliably-dated image is needed.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Yes I was thinking only of the rectangular brass edged hand-holes, I never really classed the round version with central grip a Western design, I may be wrong (often am!).

• RMweb Premium

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt71-72.htm

1E11 - 12:00 Edinburgh - KX

1S42 - 16:00 KX - Edinburgh

1A28 - 15:30 Leeds - KX (14:50 on Sundays)

From the next timetable ('72-73) 1S42 & 1E25, the 16:00 departures from KX and Edinburgh became 'The Talisman' - did this involve any difference to the service (catering/stopping pattern etc.) or was it just a name?

• RMweb Premium

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt71-72.htm

1E11 - 12:00 Edinburgh - KX

1S42 - 16:00 KX - Edinburgh

1A28 - 15:30 Leeds - KX (14:50 on Sundays)

From the next timetable ('72-73) 1S42 & 1E25, the 16:00 departures from KX and Edinburgh became 'The Talisman' - did this involve any difference to the service (catering/stopping pattern etc.) or was it just a name?

Also from Chronicles of Napier, 9001 St Paddy worked 1E11 on 28 August 1971 (photo J2731) Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J 2660 & J 2665.

Are these the only two parcels trains ever photographed WITHOUT a Southern PMV in them, or is it just my eyesight?

Regards

Ian

Not sure... the van behind the 2nd BG in the Class 40's train looks a slightly different profile to the others...

• RMweb Premium

And the one with the 47 looks about as long.

Just 11 coaches.

A bit on the light side?

Keith

EDIT

Ah, Not the passenger train!!!

You mean the parcels train, I see about 11 vans.

Edited by melmerby

J 2660 & J 2665.

Regards

Ian

Not only that they seem to be almost the same vans in the same order, can I make out a blue/grey MK1 BG as the sixth or seventh (counting might be suspect not had much sleep the last couple of days) vehicle of each train following an ex LMS one and several BR GUVs? :O

As always, some lovely shots on the ECML. Unfortunately, difficult to pin down any identities in this batch.

The class 40 in J2665 is most probably a York or Gateshead machine (an outside chance of it being a Healey Mills one) - by May 1971 the only remaining green examples, of the disc-fitted series, were 239, 247, 252, 254 and 257.

Similarly, the Deltic in J2731 appears to have a Gateshead style twin line nameplate, which narrows it down to 2, 5, 11, 14 or 17. All were in traffic throughout August 1971 (11 was ex-works during the first week). It's impossible to make out any of the lettering and, given the angle, I wouldn't even make a suggestion based on the plate size. The only observation that I would make is that Gateshead were renowned for the poor external cleanliness of their locos and that this one looks quite presentable!

The class 47 in J2733 appears to be one of the Finsbury Park D1760-1766 batch. Again, unfortunately, the entire batch remained green at this time. However, 1763 had the newer, standard numerals and no D prefix, so that can be excluded.

As always, some lovely shots on the ECML. Unfortunately, difficult to pin down any identities in this batch.

The class 40 in J2665 is most probably a York or Gateshead machine (an outside chance of it being a Healey Mills one) - by May 1971 the only remaining green examples, of the disc-fitted series, were 239, 247, 252, 254 and 257.

Similarly, the Deltic in J2731 appears to have a Gateshead style twin line nameplate, which narrows it down to 2, 5, 11, 14 or 17. All were in traffic throughout August 1971 (11 was ex-works during the first week). It's impossible to make out any of the lettering and, given the angle, I wouldn't even make a suggestion based on the plate size. The only observation that I would make is that Gateshead were renowned for the poor external cleanliness of their locos and that this one looks quite presentable!

The class 47 in J2733 appears to be one of the Finsbury Park D1760-1766 batch. Again, unfortunately, the entire batch remained green at this time. However, 1763 had the newer, standard numerals and no D prefix, so that can be excluded.

Don't think its 252 as it was Air braked and this one doesn't appear to be dual braked.

Al Taylor.

In this photo J347 looks like a shunters pole across the buffer beam?

More regular occurrence than not In the NE region even when running on the main. 7M26 was the Tees Yard(Ex ICI Billingham) > Heysham Moss Tanks via Harrogate, Ilkley & Skipton. With the Arthington to Skipton line being closed from July 1965, the three methanol tanks at the front of the 7M26 will be heading to Heysham via Healey Mills Yard.

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Shildon and Weardale today. That first one of Shildon shows some empty sidings, which would not be used again? In J4436, at Etherley, of the enginemens cottages, I can't help thinking that they would make a fantastic model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of the Colne Valley Railway. They have come along so well over the years, and the photo's show a preserved railway in it's early years and under development.

The photo's of the Grantham to Nottingham line are equally great, and I like the last one with the setting sun and vivid pink sky.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C4566 - does anyone know if that is that the verandah coach that's at the Nene Valley now? After ages of searching online I can't find the answer!

Thanks.

This coach, NSB 18803 is at Hole station in Devon.

It was purchased from the Colne Valley Railway late in 1999 for use as an office.

By July 2013 it was in use as residential accommodation.

Source of information:

Vintage Carriages Trust web site.

Link to the coach details on the VCT site:

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3179

Found by Googling "NSB 18803"

David

Edited by DaveF