Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is an impressive selection of photo’s of Longhirst, on the ECML in Northumberland. The last photo’ of 91016, on a down express in May, 1993, is a delightful contrast between the Swallow livery of the train and the smelly yellow oil seed rape in the foreground. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most impressive selection of photo’s of Darlington North Road museum, Bishop Auckland and Eastgate. In C6938, at Bishop Auckland, with the former trackbed of the branch to Wills Forge, on the 18th May, 1985, I can well imagine that it will be impossible to locate that location today. It was certainly overgrown at the time of the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Southwold pic reminds me that just over 40 years ago I worked for a man who had been SM at Halesworth, where the Southwold Railway met the big railway. At the time I worked an 11-day fortnight, and the chap who might cover my rest-day had been SM at Kelvedon, junction for the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway. And in my next job the boss had been SM at Bailey Gate on the Somerset & Dorset. Three men and all that history. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of the former Southwold Railway and traction engine rallies in Essex from the Seventies. The last photo’ at South Woodham, at the Ferrers Traction Engine Rally, with a 5 inch gauge engine, on the 20th May, 1978, shows that the engine was indeed a good representation of a GWR King class engine, unlike in C3344, at the Hullbridge Traction Engine Rally, in May, 1977, with a 7.5 inch gauge engine, Morning Star. Not the best ever rendition of a BR Britannia. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most atmospheric and historical set of photo’s from Weekday Cross Junction to the south of Nottingham Victoria station in the early fifties. In the first photo’ of A5, 69825, on a Nottingham to Leicester service, c1951, you have a most impressive shot looking up at the train from track level. Also there seems to be a mix of carriages with two corridor carriages leading and then two non corridor carriages. All, though, are Gresley, including the second carriage a former GNR vehicle. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Tanfield looks wonderfully informal in your pics. I fear legislation has forever banished such a relaxed atmosphere these days. 

On my last visit, pre Covid: (in the present tense as I don't think anything has changed).

There are still no hi vis jackets.

You can walk around the engine shed, carriage shed and stock sidings.

There are metal posts and chain/rope to stop people walking into areas where trains are moving, they can be moved as needed to give people as much access as possible.  For example, moving the chain/rope by the carriage shed when no shunting is taking place.

It is a very friendly railway, the only difficult bit is escaping from conversations with the volunteers when you want to walk around.

There is a public footpath alongside the line for part of its length - obviously fenced.

Some of the platforms still have a grass surface rather than gravel etc.

David

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent set of photo’s of the Tanfield Railway. In the last photo’ at Marley Hill, with RSH, Progress, on the 28th August, 1989, you have captured a delightful three quarter shot of the locomotive. 
The York photo’s are superb, and bring back many happy memories from my frequent visits there. In C7876, with the sole preserved V2, 4771, and Peak, 45139, on an up service on the 3rd August, 1986, you can see so clearly the pre rationalisation and electrification trackwork which dated back to steam days. The electric railway to come would only need a tiny fraction of all that trackwork. And, of course, diesel units don’t need much complex trackwork either. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, keefer said:

That class 116 'Valley Train' is a long way from home!

Heaton was very short of dmus at the time, several Newcastle to Carlisle workings were replaced with a Class 47 and 3 Mk1s.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Heaton was very short of dmus at the time, several Newcastle to Carlisle workings were replaced with a Class 47 and 3 Mk1s.

David

Pacer replacers were common and the working ones tended to go to places without run round such as Saltburn and Bishop Auckland. Carlisle ones on return to Newcastle didn’t need this as the just went round the bridges.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an interesting set of photo’s of the Newcastle to Carlisle line, and in C19378, at Plenmeller, with a class 156, on a Newcastle to Carlisle service, on the 29th March, 1994, you can see how dwarfed by the landscape the 156 is. A very expertly composed scene.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

By coincidence, I was on a railrover in the area in September 1987, when you took J9285. It was not only Newcastle to Carlisle workings, some of the services further east were also being substituted. I had a trip out from Newcastle Central, on 22nd September, on 2B07 14:30 to Middlesbrough (behind 47 608), returning on 2J18 16:03 Middlesbrough to Hexham (with the same engine) as far as Thornaby.

I subsequently picked up a train to Darlington, the 15:48 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland, which was formed of vehicles from C313 and C590 (as pictured in J9285). However, that formation had a Class 119 centre car (53900+59418+51058) and the opposing class 116/119 driving vehicles from that which you photographed. Both the class 116 and the class 119 were transferred from Canton to Heaton on 6th September 1987 (according to www.railcar.co.uk) and so it would appear likely that the former C313 and C590 had exchanged a driving vehicle - which would imply that the formation that you have photographed was 51087+59040+53847!  :D

Edited by 35A
Grammar!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Damdykes level crossing, to the south of Cramlington on the ECML in Northumberland. In the last photo’, of 47771, on an up light engine movement, on the 28th December, 1995, the 47 looks so lonely in the sunny but what will have been very cold weather.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave, I was following your Topic, but have not had any notifications for a long time, and have just realised that for some reason, I wasn't now following, No idea why it has changed, so NOW I'm following once more, (I hope). :good:

• Thanks 1