Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a most excellent set of photo’s of the Scotswood are to the west of Newcastle Central station, and the station itself. In C11948, with 156433, on a Stranraer to Newcastle service, at journeys end, on the 1st June, 1989, that is a view ofthe station I have rarely seen. It is good to see such a photo’ of that area of Newcastle station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fantastic selection of photo’s of Buston Barns on the ECML in Northumberland. In C18053, with 43096 leading an Inverness to Kings Cross HST, on the 19th September, 1992, you can see all the grunge on the lower front end, and also the relief of the Swallow on the side of the power car. I well recall, in a model shop, trying to obtain some etchings of the Swallows for a Hornby 91, about 1990/92,  but the man said that they were only transfers, so that’s all that was available. Well he was wrong, the real Swallows were not transfers and that photo’ confirms that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of photo’s of Fallodon crossing on the ECML in Northumberland. In J10994, with an unidentified class 43 leading an up HST, in July, 1990, you can see what looks like two dots either side of some kind of symbol. I wonder if it is the remains of the power car number?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a fascinating set of photo’s of Ulgham Lane crossing on the ECML in Northumberland. The first one of 56119, on an up coal train from Butterwell, on the 29th December, 1989, is nice and smokey with all that exhaust and I can’t help noticing that the secondman, in the cab, is reaching up and doing something. The second photo’ of 47362, on an up ICI train, on the 19th May, 1990, C14465, shows that the remains of the number under the cabside windows could still be seen with the ‘47’ still there.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

While date-order helps to tell a bit of a story, each pic stands on its own merits, which are generally several. 

That Citroen in J7018 reminds me the Old Car thread is currently eulogising about that marque and model. 

3 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

As an ex-mechanic who had to work on the bloody things, I won't be joining in!

That was Dad's Citroen GS.

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Shackerstone from 1972 and 1980. In J7018, looking at the LNWR and MR joint trackbed, in July, 1980, you have a great view of the design of brickwork on what is either a three arch bridge or a viaduct. It is very helpful for those making models of such structures.

The Carlisle photo’s are full of interest, and, again, show the railway how it used to be in 1990, and 1995. In the last photo’, with 158798, on a Manchester Airport to Edinburgh service, on the 25th October, 1995, you can see that the car nearest to the camera is a DMCL, with the yellow stripe above the nearest two saloon windows, and looking through those windows can be seen a glimpse of better seats and curtains.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Yesterdays photo 47362 working ICI tanks is obviously dangerous goods, requiring both a barrier wagon and brake van, so the guard would not have to walk past ruptured tanks to carry out protection in the event of an incident.  (I assume there is a brake van at the rear and the leading brake van is because of a run-round move en-route). It might be liquified anhydrous ammonia, which moved in trainloads between ICI plants at Haverton Hill, Leith, Heysham, and Severnside. Curiously the trains could be loaded in either direction depending on the production levels of each plant. Or it might be the nastier hydrocyanic acid, for which a special set of working instructions applied, the trains ran between Haverton Hill and Leith.

cheers   

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Yesterdays photo 47362 working ICI tanks is obviously dangerous goods, requiring both a barrier wagon and brake van, so the guard would not have to walk past ruptured tanks to carry out protection in the event of an incident.  (I assume there is a brake van at the rear and the leading brake van is because of a run-round move en-route). It might be liquified anhydrous ammonia, which moved in trainloads between ICI plants at Haverton Hill, Leith, Heysham, and Severnside. Curiously the trains could be loaded in either direction depending on the production levels of each plant. Or it might be the nastier hydrocyanic acid, for which a special set of working instructions applied, the trains ran between Haverton Hill and Leith.

cheers   

It’s Ammonia (bogie tanks) as the HCN by this date had purpose built dedicated barrier wagons and only ran with a maximum of five two axle tanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

It’s Ammonia (bogie tanks) as the HCN by this date had purpose built dedicated barrier wagons and only ran with a maximum of five two axle tanks.

Thanks.

As a TOPS clerk in Bristol I was only familiar with the Severnside to Haverton Hill liquified anhydrous ammonia trains,

cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of Hett Mill and Plawsworth, on the ECML, from between Darlington and Newcastle. In C20821, with an unidentified class 43, leading an up HST on the 23rd March, 1996, the train looks most ethereal in the misty conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, avonside1563 said:

Hi David,

A quick correction to the caption on J7010 at Shackerstone. The loco on the left is WG Bagnall 'Florence No2' and in the centre is WG Bagnall 'Lamport No3'

Many thanks Nigel,  I've amended the caption.

David