RMweb

Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Slightly off topic, but if you like Terriers and 0 gauge, it is worth considering the coarse-scale alternative to the models under discussion here.

They are made by ETS in the Czech Republic on behalf of two UK suppliers, both with websites, Raylo and W J Vintage, and are switchable 2/3 rail.

These are "modern tinplate" models, all metal, with a very sophisticated clutch/motor system that runs silky-smooth. Price is about the same as Dapol, and liveries are manifold, including KESR, GWR and LSWR AR, as well as various Brighton, SR and BR ones.

Picture is of my LSWR one, hauling modern tinplate stock from Darstaed and Ace.

Kevin

post-26817-0-69864500-1439669920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

For those who simply cannot wait you could always pickup one of these ... or an island version.

I purchased one when they were available direct from Randolph in China.  This was back when the prices were a lot lower and he was doing in-factory modifications to match a specific photo.  They really are good, but you get what you pay for.

Despite having a Sang Cheng version I ordered a Dapol one once I'd seen the pre-production models.  After the errors on the PO opens and Pill Boxes I'd rather Dapol delivered something late but correct ...

• RMweb Premium

Tower Models updated Terrier delivery to 3rd week August with 2nd batch & sound fitted in September. So now you know!

Dava

Just received this from Hattons in reply to a request for an ETA for the Terrier:

"Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us today.

I believe the O Gauge Terriers have been delayed due to issues with the packaging causing damage to the models.

I am not completely aware on the revised release date but I believe it will be towards the end of the year I'm afraid.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,"

MMmmm ...

Tower Models updated Terrier delivery to 3rd week August with 2nd batch & sound fitted in September. So now you know!

Yes, chatting to someone today it did seem odd that Hattons knew the Terriers had been broken a week before they were due to clear customs ... unless of course there is a Terrierist cell operating inside HMRC ;)

I was wondering how the latest horror story fitted with the more recent news that they're almost here. It's all very confusing, especially as Hattons reply when I asked if the packaging damage will delay my K&ESR one was that Dapol hadn't given them further updates.

The Roxey Mouldings kit, depending on what extras you opt to purchase is about 260 pounds these days. The advertised price for the terriers is 200 (some places discounting to 170), add 50 for the ones coming after the initial shipment. They're still relatively reasonably priced.

However, with that price rise in mind, I may consider purchasing the kit to do my N67 conversion as if it goes wrong, I can always contact Roxey mouldings and purchase replacement parts.

Add in a couple of weeks for delays in Customs clearance as a container with a mixed consignment doesn't get released until all of its contents have been cleared no matter how fast the first item's paperwork is checked.  Anyone complaining before the middle of September probably hasn't reasonable grounds.

Just a thought

Les

Err, not true at all I'm afraid. There is no requirment for everything in a groupage container to be cleared/released before each consignment is collected/delivered.

Add in a couple of weeks for delays in Customs clearance as a container with a mixed consignment doesn't get released until all of its contents have been cleared no matter how fast the first item's paperwork is checked.  Anyone complaining before the middle of September probably hasn't reasonable grounds.

Just a thought

Les

Err, not true at all I'm afraid. There is no requirment for everything in a groupage container to be cleared/released before each consignment is collected/delivered.

I stand corrected.

Les

After reading this topic I decided to get intouch with Dapol and ask them what is happening. I received a very quick reply from Kevin Grindley, Sale admin Manager.

Hello John

Thank you for your email.  The first 3 Terriers 7s-010-003, 004 & -005 should be here by the end of the month all being well.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

So there you have it straight from Dapol, so i hope this helps answer all our questions about delivery.

Thank you Kevin for your quick responce.

Thats what I said the other day after I got intouch with Dapol, Davy

"At the end of the month" has been the reply from Dapol for a few months now. To give one example, Dapol's advert in Model Rail issue 208 proudly announced that they would be available by the end of April. I notice that Dapol don't say at the end of which month in their reply posted above.

• Like 2

Dapol website clearly states

"at the end of next week being sent to stockists".   

Immediately above it lists 18 N-gauge items "currently being sent to stockists"   

Included in that list are Maunsell coaches in N.  On the the thread for those Osborns Models report they are expecting theirs on Monday.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

I hope it is true as these look to be super models and a real bargain for O gauge. I think these could spur a lot of fresh interest in modelling O and really grow the scale, and it'll be nice to see a real high for Dapol. Unfortunately I think many have just stopped taking Dapol press releases and product notifications seriously, boy who cried wolf syndrome I'm afraid. That said, any issues I have about their press releases is small beans if the models are good and these Terriers do look splendid from the pictures.

• Like 1

Probably been done to death but if Dapol can produce the O gauge Terrier for approx. 50% more than their OO diesels, why do the O gauge wagons cost 400% more than the OO equivalent? We are often told that materials make up a small percentage of production costs !

If there is to be fresh interest in O gauge modelling, I think this disparity needs to be addressed ..​​

• Like 1

I have always been a OO gauge modeler, but my interest was stired by Dapol's O gauge Models. So I have decided to have a small O gauge Railway in the garden, tho it will not be very large. So looking forward to receiving my first loco to try it out. Be interesting to see how Dapol's O gauge stock will develop over the years and how the prices will go. So watch this space

Probably been done to death but if Dapol can produce the O gauge Terrier for approx. 50% more than their OO diesels, why do the O gauge wagons cost 400% more than the OO equivalent? We are often told that materials make up a small percentage of production costs !

If there is to be fresh interest in O gauge modelling, I think this disparity needs to be addressed ..​​

It may be that prices are not quite so out of kilter as they seem to be.  I don't think that that Hornby are offering any of their OO Terriers to the general public at the moment, but I have a feeling that when they last did, the price was something like £60ish.  I bought my first Hornby Terrier for £50 from Hattons just over 3 years ago, and the others for £48 and about £60 from smaller model shops.

I suspect we would find that the lower volume of sales would be quoted as the reason.  Many people, I suspect, have more locos than they can realistically use, I know I do.

Had there been less problems with the fidelity of the wagons, I again suspect they would be selling well.  As it is I am buying Lionheart, and Ixion engines, though if the Dapol 08 ever appears it will be a definite purchase.  Unless of course DJM's 0 gauge engines make an appearance first...................