Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I just avoid Grimsby.

A bit further darn sarf on the outskirts of Banbury with a correct spelling in my opinion !  :jester:

post-20303-0-58413300-1539172407_thumb.jpg

I tried to avoid it too !

• Like 1

Hi, Paul

Thank you for the tip about the cameras. I avoid that road like the plague due to its dreadful design, and wasn't aware of them. It's a shame it and the new A16 further south were ever built, as there would surely have been a good case for re-opening the line these days

Regards

Steve

As Paul mentions, the line has been well and truly severed across Louth. The whole of the embankment has been removed from the south end of the station platforms to Monks Dyke crossing , including the bridges across Ramsgate and Eastgate, and the area opened up has been built on. You would need to build a new route around the town to the east

post-80-0-19305900-1539199522_thumb.jpg

Ramsgate

post-80-0-02844800-1539199691.jpg

Eastgate

What seems to have killed the E Lincs line was the level crossings - or more specifically the cost of manning them. To have saved the route would have required a lot of money to be spent on automated barriers throughout - as it was, paying for automated barriers on the Boston/Skegness section absorbed nearly all of Lincolnshire County Council's budget for rail development in the 1970s

There were dogged attempts to get the Grimsby to Louth section reopened to passengers in the late 70s and early 80s, but they got nowhere.

At least south of Boston the country is flat enough and empty enough that a new formation could be built alongside the road if you really needed to.

Hi Chris

I see they do a dwarf head, that is what I need for the shunt signals.

If you use their stuff please let me know.

As I posted, signals are the LAST thing on the agenda, I am really tempted to have a punt though!!!

If Stubby is reading this,

Band Maid, they get addictive!! I don't just mean 'cos they are GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have a Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex night blast!!!

Need an 'Out There' Japanese fix!!!

Last chemo tomorrow, means high dose steroids!!! Goodbye sleep!!!!!!

Last time I ended up running 10201 and'2 in opposite directions on fitted trains. Very restfull!!!!

In my world, all three ended up a Brewery Sidings Shed.

Music to that night? 

'Lark Rising and A Variation On A Theme By Thomas Tallis.'

Oh My Yes, I go down the classical road and those are two of my favourite tunes!!!!!

I love the congested nature of your trainset!!!!

The snaking pointwork is great and the mass DMU stuff is really cool!!!!

You, like me have a long way to completion!

You, like me, don't let it stop you from playing trains!!!

When you don't have sound, your senses come into play. I'll bet you can smell those DMUs and hear that engine beat.

Chuck that in with the Type2, I've always found Mainline Diesel exhaust smell is different to DMU smell!! Couple that with the odd steam locomotive and the sounds going on in the head!!!!

Oh My Yes!!!!

Having now proved I really am Bonkers!!!!! I will now go and join Motoko Kusanagi, Batu, Aramaki and the rest!!!

In short, 'I'll Get My Coat!!'.

Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you use their stuff please let me know.

As I posted, signals are the LAST thing on the agenda, I am really tempted to have a punt though!!!

If Stubby is reading this,

Band Maid, they get addictive!! I don't just mean 'cos they are GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have a Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex night blast!!!

Need an 'Out There' Japanese fix!!!

Last chemo tomorrow, means high dose steroids!!! Goodbye sleep!!!!!!

Last time I ended up running 10201 and'2 in opposite directions on fitted trains. Very restfull!!!!

In my world, all three ended up a Brewery Sidings Shed.

Music to that night? 

'Lark Rising and A Variation On A Theme By Thomas Tallis.'

Oh My Yes, I go down the classical road and those are two of my favourite tunes!!!!!

I love the congested nature of your trainset!!!!

The snaking pointwork is great and the mass DMU stuff is really cool!!!!

You, like me have a long way to completion!

You, like me, don't let it stop you from playing trains!!!

When you don't have sound, your senses come into play. I'll bet you can smell those DMUs and hear that engine beat.

Chuck that in with the Type2, I've always found Mainline Diesel exhaust smell is different to DMU smell!! Couple that with the odd steam locomotive and the sounds going on in the head!!!!

Oh My Yes!!!!

Having now proved I really am Bonkers!!!!! I will now go and join Motoko Kusanagi, Batu, Aramaki and the rest!!!

In short, 'I'll Get My Coat!!'.

Chris.

Hi Chris

Good luck tomorrow.

Being a lazy modeller who works on something gets bored, goes off and starts something else etc. I would just have a pile of bits if I didn't have a layout to run these part built trains on. So getting the whole layout operational was an important part of the plan. I now have the rest of my life to build the scenery, the trains and anything else I can think of at a pace I want to work at and still be able to run trains. The most important thing is having fun.

A good example of having fun was this afternoon. We had some friends visit us, when Mrs M and her mate went to do something with the 'orses, me and Jez had a play with the trains. Jez knows B all about trains but can twiddle a control kn0b so he drove and I messed things up as signalman. We had a good laugh.

• Like 6

Hi Chris

Good luck tomorrow.

Being a lazy modeller who works on something gets bored, goes off and starts something else etc. I would just have a pile of bits if I didn't have a layout to run these part built trains on. So getting the whole layout operational was an important part of the plan. I now have the rest of my life to build the scenery, the trains and anything else I can think of at a pace I want to work at and still be able to run trains. The most important thing is having fun.

A good example of having fun was this afternoon. We had some friends visit us, when Mrs M and her mate went to do something with the 'orses, me and Jez had a play with the trains. Jez knows B all about trains but can twiddle a control kn0b so he drove and I messed things up as signalman. We had a good laugh.

Thanks for the luck.

I totally agree with your layout ethos. I've done exactly the same thing myself!!

I had to be able to play trains to get the 'Scenery Motivation!'

All The Best,

Chris.

• Like 2

Hi Chris

Good luck tomorrow.

Sounds like a perfect day to me mate, as long as a Brew and biscuits gets involved somewhere at some time.

E N J O Y :sungum:  Brum Brum phaaa.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I started to do some scenic work. I have painted half the station throat ground brown. I do this when building a layout as a basis which to add other scenic materials etc. I have found if a bald patch develops then the earth shows through as it would in real life, not a green painted patch.....unless you are like a good friend of mine who has a artificial lawn.

• Like 4

Last night I started to do some scenic work. I have painted half the station throat ground brown. I do this when building a layout as a basis which to add other scenic materials etc. I have found if a bald patch develops then the earth shows through as it would in real life, not a green painted patch.....unless you are like a good friend of mine who has a artificial lawn.

And NO muddy Doggy foot pints indoors either.

• RMweb Premium

Oh I do like this retired thing on a bad weather day.It means I can hide in the play room without being told off for not doing anything on the stables, paddock or garden. I have just had a running session, despite many of my trains not being finished they do look good when running, an eight coach DMU (4 Met-Cam and 4 Derby) going one way and the Transpennine going the other, two long DMUs passing lovely.

• Like 3

Chemos out the way! 

I rang the bell quietly, not one to make a fuss!!

Yes, the bell does exist, it is not a device for the children's cancer adverts!!

No sleep last night , strong steroids!!!

Reminds me better take my last dose of them now!

That's done.

have cancer treatment and become a chemistry experiment!!!!

Day one back at work.

The whole point of this drivel is my playlist. I can't get my head round your video transferance magic so it is a list.

Tea, tayters, sprout tops, white Polish sausage and some Boszeck, superb lightly smoked Polish bacon from the Barbakan Deli in Chorlton.

If anybody is doing the Manchester exhibition, take an 86 or an 85 from Piccadilly to Chorlton and explore the shops on offer.

As a local, all I can say is it will be worth it!!

Back to the tunes.

Extended play 45, New England, Kirsty Mcall and Johnny Marr. Extended again, 'Clouds Across The Moon' The Ra Band. The string arrangement in this is superb!! Album, Don Henley, Sunset Grill. The album is Building The Perfect Beast and The boys of Summer is on it. I prefer the darker Sunset Grill!! After all, 'All My Friends Are Here!'

I'm now working my way through the album,'The Way It Is' by that well known railway modelling band, 'Bruce Hornby and The Trains!'

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist it!!

I haven't even started playing trains yet!!

I do love proper records!!! always have. I think it is the memory connection with an old piece of vinyl from a part of my past. CDs are good but don't quite cut it!!

Right, I've bored everybody enough! i'm going to get back to Bruce and a pot of Yorkshire Tea.

Maybe a bit of Marshall-Hain in a bit. I'm on a 70s/80s trip!!

Anybody out there remember Marshall-Hain??

I'm already getting my coat!!!

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Chemos out the way! 

I rang the bell quietly, not one to make a fuss!!

Yes, the bell does exist, it is not a device for the children's cancer adverts!!

No sleep last night , strong steroids!!!

Reminds me better take my last dose of them now!

That's done.

have cancer treatment and become a chemistry experiment!!!!

Day one back at work.

The whole point of this drivel is my playlist. I can't get my head round your video transferance magic so it is a list.

Tea, tayters, sprout tops, white Polish sausage and some Boszeck, superb lightly smoked Polish bacon from the Barbakan Deli in Chorlton.

If anybody is doing the Manchester exhibition, take an 86 or an 85 from Piccadilly to Chorlton and explore the shops on offer.

As a local, all I can say is it will be worth it!!

Back to the tunes.

Extended play 45, New England, Kirsty Mcall and Johnny Marr. Extended again, 'Clouds Across The Moon' The Ra Band. The string arrangement in this is superb!! Album, Don Henley, Sunset Grill. The album is Building The Perfect Beast and The boys of Summer is on it. I prefer the darker Sunset Grill!! After all, 'All My Friends Are Here!'

I'm now working my way through the album,'The Way It Is' by that well known railway modelling band, 'Bruce Hornby and The Trains!'

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist it!!

I haven't even started playing trains yet!!

I do love proper records!!! always have. I think it is the memory connection with an old piece of vinyl from a part of my past. CDs are good but don't quite cut it!!

Right, I've bored everybody enough! i'm going to get back to Bruce and a pot of Yorkshire Tea.

Maybe a bit of Marshall-Hain in a bit. I'm on a 70s/80s trip!!

Anybody out there remember Marshall-Hain??

I'm already getting my coat!!!

Chris.

Hi Chris

I am glad they have stopped experimenting with you finished your treatment. All fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

Marshall Hain? No missed my radar at the time. Too busy listening to John Peel for bands like

Hi Chris

I am glad they have stopped experimenting with you finished your treatment. All fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

Marshall Hain? No missed my radar at the time. Too busy listening to John Peel for bands like

Thanks Clive

Ah, the Slits!!

That's a trip down memory lane!!!!

I think, by the nature of the disease, all chemo is to a greater or lesser extent an exercise in experimentation!!!

How do we find the most effective treatments without it?

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

I had the Swindon 4 car Intercity sets running tonight, both of them. Well not quite, I recently bought another compo and two brake seconds to make up an 8 car train. The two brake seconds will be cut up to make a DMS, it wasn't quite right as I ran one of the BSKs in lieu of me cutting and shutting the pair. The powered DMBS has a Lima power unit and romped around the train set with seven coaches behind it. I do like a long multiple unit galloping around the room. I must do some thing with the couplings on the powered DMBS so I place it in the middle of the train so when running back to the WR it isn't trying to push 7 coaches.

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by your box opening I have brought my stored boxes in from the garage and am running them on a test track set-up on the spare bed (No visitors due for a a couple of months). Have already found a loco I'd completely forgotten I'd bought, a Bachmann 2-6-2T, which got a quick lap or two tonight. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

Not quite as good as The Captain and Tennille in my book.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been considering the scenic side of things, more precisely the scenic break and the area in between the triangle. I don't want it too high so I cannot get to a train that has a problem behind it. Therefore I will only be building a bridge. Well two bridges meeting at a road junction.  As you can tell the triangle area will possibly be filled with the tail end of the goods yard sidings. Not too sure if this would happen or the yard stop at the bridge but I wanted a reason for the road to remain elevated. Please remember the lines coming in are fictitious ones from the L&YR and GNR so any bridges would be to the designs and styles they used not those of the MR and MS&LR who did build lines into the city.

I welcome any comments.

Question for Enterprising Mike, were coppers still on point duty in Sheffield in the 1960s or do I need traffic lights?

post-16423-0-20144500-1539457383_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-62856700-1539457395_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-40548100-1539457410_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-21223300-1539457430_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-12531400-1539457440_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-84659700-1539457451_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-97324000-1539457461_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-64700000-1539457478_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-17331300-1539457488_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-89515300-1539457500_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-01041100-1539457511_thumb.jpg

• Like 7