Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi John

We need answers for Enterprising Mike regarding the bins.

There is still loads to do, the fuddle yards still need their point motors fitted to the points. It will mean I don't have to keep walking over to the Manchester sidings every time I change trains.

I am still thinking how I am going to make the platforms. I have some 18mm MDF (as used by Mr P) but I cannot cut straight with a jig saw.

I have all the passengers, railway staff and trainspotters to make.

I could go on and on but I will only either depress myself or go into a sheer panic with the amount of work still to be done. But it is a life time project so I can take my time. The most important thing is I have something working and can enjoy playing trains, after all that is all we aim to do.

A good hand saw will cut straighter maiter. 

And use up some un tapped energy as well. :sungum:  :scared:  :scared: :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

A good hand saw will cut straighter maiter. 

And use up some un tapped energy as well. :sungum:  :scared:  :scared: :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Want to bet?

Me and cutting straight with any type of saw is something that doesn't happen. Craft knife and a ruler on plastic card, OK. Otherwise it is find a tool that will make it look less wavy.

• RMweb Premium

Two buses on twin bridges.  Awesome.  :angel:

I would like a few more, a tin front PD2, an AEC front door Regent V, a Leyland Royal Tiger with rear open door and a ECW bodied Leopard. I can then swap them around for different photo shoots. It looks a tad boring when the trains change but the same bus is on the same bridge five years later. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Not enough dinosaurs though.

On my previous layouts Arnold an Essex saddleback was present. He hasn't appeared on Exchange as yet as I haven't considered where he would be best placed. He was never hidden but very rarely would someone say " There is pig over there". :yes:

On a club layout we had a corner which needed some sort of scenic thing done to it so we knocked up a park and I put a kangaroo in it. At a show this kid said "Look Dad a kangaroo". "Don't be so stupid" replied Dad. :umbrage:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A quick catch up.

Police on point duty.

By the 60's I would say only at busy junctions on busy days such as football saturdays or market days in town. Generally speaking, as Sheffield was a city, roundabouts of some form would be in place at major junctions.

Bins.

Only one steel one, (like Bachmann?? do.), and it was left around the back of the house and collected by the bin men, no traipsing up and down the passageway with it in those days, we had services!

Lloyd Street.

What a coincidence, I used to live at number 95 when I was first born. Bear in mind that terraced houses which were located at the junction of another road might well have had a side access to the back yards from the adjoining street, ie, no passageway, (passy).Keep em coming!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick catch up.

Police on point duty.

By the 60's I would say only at busy junctions on busy days such as football saturdays or market days in town. Generally speaking, as Sheffield was a city, roundabouts of some form would be in place at major junctions.

Bins.

Only one steel one, (like Bachmann?? do.), and it was left around the back of the house and collected by the bin men, no traipsing up and down the passageway with it in those days, we had services!

Lloyd Street.

What a coincidence, I used to live at number 95 when I was first born. Bear in mind that terraced houses which were located at the junction of another road might well have had a side access to the back yards from the adjoining street, ie, no passageway, (passy).Keep em coming!

Mike.

Thanks Mike

Looks like it will be a market day every day. Nothing like a booby on point duty to make sure that the scene with moving trains and stationary traffic looks right. :derisive: 

I will remember the tin bin if I go with the row of houses. Not too sure if a baby Enterprising Mike will be included. :)

• Like 1

The wishlist poll is now live, well it is raining so that will give me something to do.

I've voted for everything that'll guarantee we all get something !  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike

Looks like it will be a market day every day. Nothing like a booby on point duty to make sure that the scene with moving trains and stationary traffic looks right. :derisive:

What you need is a DCC controlled road system.....

Just sayin'

I would like a few more, a tin front PD2, an AEC front door Regent V, a Leyland Royal Tiger with rear open door and a ECW bodied Leopard. I can then swap them around for different photo shoots. It looks a tad boring when the trains change but the same bus is on the same bridge five years later. ;)

How about a Roberts car? Since the Sheffield tramways didn't shut until Nov 1960 it's in period.... You could have moving traffic and fulfil your urge to string up wires

P.S. In my misspent youth I made station platforms out of 1/2" chipboard. Chipboard platforms were one reason it was mis-spent... These days it's been balsa facing walls , and a suitable platform top across bracing. 

I've dabbled enough with inlaid /paved track to know that getting anything to follow the line of the rails exactly is very difficult and laborious , even using paper templates produced by the "brass-rubbing" method. Trying to adjust solid platforms with a plane or a surform is a nightmare

Edited by Ravenser

• RMweb Premium

How about a Roberts car? Since the Sheffield tramways didn't shut until Nov 1960 it's in period.... You could have moving traffic and fulfil your urge to string up wires

P.S. In my misspent youth I made station platforms out of 1/2" chipboard. Chipboard platforms were one reason it was mis-spent... These days it's been balsa facing walls , and a suitable platform top across bracing. 

I've dabbled enough with inlaid /paved track to know that getting anything to follow the line of the rails exactly is very difficult and laborious , even using paper templates produced by the "brass-rubbing" method. Trying to adjust solid platforms with a plane or a surform is a nightmare

I have a liking for locos with yellow panels (and DMUs) which place the layout in to 1962 at the earliest so past the demise of the trams. 

I just want a few buses that I can alternate when I take photos so it looks like the background is also alive. I have more than enough 60s cars and lorries  to swap over but not enough buses.  Andy Peters use to move and swap the road vehicles around on Pencarne which gave the layout a bit more life.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, Forget coppers on point duty and zebra crossings - this is what you need on your layout.

https://www.glow.co.uk/traffic-light-lamp.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoajSjp66qSLTxD5EErw9rx2Dheougwg723iOqPsW_Z2014pg6cBcvkaArCZEALw_wcB

Hi Kier

Not to sure about the light.

The light itself is fine, it looks lovely but did you read the blurb about it "......ideal for visual stimulation and adding a little excitement to your space....." Stimulation and excitement, I don't think I am made for both at the same time,

and then it goes on ".....making a fun mood light or party light."  Well fun mood is not allowed in our house any more, as for party, the last one we had was for our youngest when he was eleven , he is now 26 and I cannot remember where I put the surplus party bags.

It is a nice looking light.

I am also concerned if the light flashes it might be a hidden DCC device. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do like a two wire evangelist preaching that all DC layouts are prone to failure and that it impossible to fault find the problem. Especially when you go to view their layouts...…

Stop baiting him...… them

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mr Newbryford sir, did you happen to see the Paddington 24/7 programme last night  (15/10/2018) - they took a trip on the 'yellow' train (a.k.a. 'flying banana'), explaining all about the clever bits of kit inside.

• Like 2