OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

You don't have to worry about VAT for those of us who live off-shore!

Speak for yourself Jeff! The 71 will now cost me a contribution to the UK Tax Machine.

Steady boys. Past the sandbanks safely.

It's hitting 8 knots in Southampton water. Did you get that?

It's in Southampton Water!

Message timed at 19:57. 

http://shipfinder.co/ship/477293100

Over & Out.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Over & Out.

Noooo - that's ambiguous ........... it's either over or out - guess who gets to be billy big spuds with the radio at work nowadays ..... :jester:

All this ship mapping stuff is dead cool ................ :locomotive:

• Like 1

Noooo - that's ambiguous ........... it's either over or out - guess who gets to be billy big spuds with the radio at work nowadays ..... :jester:

Ah; but I may have been talking cricket?  Howzat!     :blum_mini:

• Like 1

57 pages of debate / info / argument / cr^p (mostly me) / speculation / interest, etc .......................

Is everybody bracing themselves for the next stage ............................. "the great comparison"  ??   :O

I just want to express my personal thanks to Dave for starting the whole thing off - this was the one loco that I have wanted a RTR model of for as long as I can remember .................. thank you :locomotive:

Now - about them blue "Transfesa" ferry vans .................. ?? :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't ordered one, although they just about overlap in timescales with the Hornby Maunsell pull-push set, of course, and I have two of them. But after Dave Jones handed me a length of his lady's kitchen roll delicately wrapped around a late pre-pro sample and invited me to unwrap it at Taunton on Sunday, it almost seems rude not to buy such a gem.

In rural Derbyshire and then Crewe this weekend. Must ring Kernow some time!

• Like 2

I hadn't ordered one, although they just about overlap in timescales with the Hornby Maunsell pull-push set, of course, and I have two of them. But after Dave Jones handed me a length of his lady's kitchen roll delicately wrapped around a late pre-pro sample and invited me to unwrap it at Taunton on Sunday, it almost seems rude not to buy such a gem.

In rural Derbyshire and then Crewe this weekend. Must ring Kernow some time!

Get them to post my one A.S.A.P. please. I had my filthy mitts on one at the Peterborough show.

http://vid1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/MeophamEast/Videos/VID_20161015_115111381_zpsalrnjwhq.mp4

Thanks to Dave and Charlie.

I am amazed how anyone can watch something as sensitive as shipping movements these days. No wonder pirates can find and rob ships easily. Good job it did not exist in WWII.

Ok, so who will be posting trace routes of their package being delivered in a van?

(just heard mine went past Bristol...., now on the M1..... Postman is with it in the road next door...)

• RMweb Gold

I am amazed how anyone can watch something as sensitive as shipping movements these days. No wonder pirates can find and rob ships easily. Good job it did not exist in WWII.

Ok, so who will be posting trace routes of their package being delivered in a van?

(just heard mine went past Bristol...., now on the M1..... Postman is with it in the road next door...)

There is no point trying to keep such things secret now - surveillance is so cheap and easy that if the pirates (who are actually quite sophisticated) want to get the info they will whatever.

We hit the same issues in aviation all the time - what is actually worth keeping secret? The answer is nothing.

​Roy

• RMweb Premium

There is no point trying to keep such things secret now - surveillance is so cheap and easy that if the pirates (who are actually quite sophisticated) want to get the info they will whatever.

We hit the same issues in aviation all the time - what is actually worth keeping secret? The answer is nothing.

​Roy

Quite, I have a aircraft tracking website on almost permanently, filtered to only show military planes. As you say, Roy, a pair of RAF Hercules passing here at speed and at very low level is hardly a "secret". But it's nice for me to know which ones they are, and indeed where they are going/have been. It's been rather quiet at Brize Norton so far today though, and nothing has yet come my way... 

57 pages of debate / info / argument / cr^p (mostly me) / speculation / interest, etc .......................

Is everybody bracing themselves for the next stage ............................. "the great comparison"  ??   :O

I just want to express my personal thanks to Dave for starting the whole thing off - this was the one loco that I have wanted a RTR model of for as long as I can remember .................. thank you :locomotive:

Now - about them blue "Transfesa" ferry vans .................. ?? :mosking:

Hi from somewhere far far away......yes I agree a comparison would be fun, although I must admit I'd prefer someone doing it who knew about the real thing, knew / knows what it's nuances are, and look at the detail, then compare things like dcc fitting, and ease there of, What can be and can't be turned off, if the models have close coupling, or space for a speaker for great ( courtesy of leggomanbiffo, and Charlie Petty) sound, can certain features be spotted on the real thing, are they on the model and if not , why not.

Is the 21 pin decoder effective in what it does, or does an 8 pin do the job as well?

Then look at the pantograph, have both gotten the centre of the head modelled correctly? The well details? Etc.

Can each one have different head Codes? Can they be easily fitted and how easy?

How do the bogies look, is the detail correct there......

I could go on, but personally I'd welcome a thorough in depth review and comparison, and look forward to seeing how it fares against other class 71 models.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

There are two models out there, people have made their choice or bought one or more.....

Or, like me, none.....

I'm waiting for the 'HA' (class 74 for the younger readers). :)

Edited by leopardml2341