OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

No - zimmer with a pannier (no, not that sort...) on the front.  I have been no weight bearing for 3 months, so had to hop everywhere.  Grim.

Parcel should be in Douglas sorting office now.....

You have my sympathy - I dislocated a tendon whilst firing 76017 on New Year's eve. 7 weeks in a non weight bearing cast, 2 weeks in an air boot and now intensive physio. I have been told it is another 4-7 months for it to get as good as it will ever be. I still walk with a limp at times when it gets tired and starts to swell. I can do everything that I used to do, but not for so long at the moment.

Best wishes for your recovery and do everything the physio tells you to when you get to that stage. I have a friend who didn't and she will suffer even more I later life than she would have done otherwise.

Roy

Hmmm. I just received notification that one is on its way, but I ordered a second one somewhat later. To me it would have made sense to send both in the one package, but maybe the system doesn't pick up the two separate orders in that way.

Still, it's exciting! :)

• RMweb Premium

You have my sympathy - I dislocated a tendon whilst firing 76017 on New Year's eve. 7 weeks in a non weight bearing cast, 2 weeks in an air boot and now intensive physio. I have been told it is another 4-7 months for it to get as good as it will ever be. I still walk with a limp at times when it gets tired and starts to swell. I can do everything that I used to do, but not for so long at the moment.

Best wishes for your recovery and do everything the physio tells you to when you get to that stage. I have a friend who didn't and she will suffer even more I later life than she would have done otherwise.

Roy

Continued by PM to save mucking the thread up any more!

No signs of my three yet. But then I was one of the last to receive my first SLW  Class 24. Perhaps it's my infamous background catching up with me again. I am supposed to be related to that infamous spy Guy Burgess (or Guy if you can remember that excellent ITV series called Brass starring Timothy West). My paternal grandmother worked in a domestic capacity for the Burgess family and my father was certainly born at the end of a period of service  with the Burgess family.

• RMweb Gold

Got my E5004 today but unfortunately when I unpacked it I found it had a very noticeable smudge of dark grey or black paint on the roof that was clearly visible whichever way you looked at it.  A cotton wool  bud moistened with clean water wouldn't shift it. Looks like a basic QC issue at the Chinese factory.  Called Kernow who advised sending it back for replacement and it's on its way now....  :mad:  

Mine's arrived, luckily along with a new tripod I must stop leaving mine down mines.

Here's some pictures once I got through the packaging, jiffy bags and brown tape are a pig to find where to start.

All taken with a fill in flash some with the one from the big H. It's had a spot of lube and running in now.

IMG_3983_zpstgoyv1xx.jpg

IMG_3984_zps0utwfwvv.jpg

IMG_4000_zpsnkmrbvw4.jpg

IMG_3999_zps58q9jf3v.jpg

Img_3995_zpsypbzl9rp.jpg

IMG_3991_zpsiatt7jbj.jpg

IMG_3990_zpso8gdesif.jpg

• Like 3

If anyone wants to paint the super tiny details in the cab as it's easily removable, I'll be putting the class 71 detail pics I took during scanning on my zenfolio site for you to use tomorrow.

I'll put a link here for them all, so you can tweek whatever you need to.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Quite the difference in cab corner shapes ! 

But which one is right? Neither but I'd say the Hornby one is closest there (or it could be the angle of the photo ... which is slightly off centre). 

I'm doing E5000 (I only do prototypes and first of class for display) so I'm going to have to do a bit of filing on the rain guttering which looks a bit too proud on the DJM version anyway. 

Good and bad points on both but if I'm going to have to hack one about, repaint and renumber, I might get the Hornby one and sell the crowdfunded one. 

The overall look of the DJM version is better so hopefully it will become available as E5000 without guttering at a later date.

post-29548-0-08527400-1494535534.jpg

Edited by SGP

That is actually an amazing difference between the Hornby and DJM models.  For me, the DJM model looks much better and it makes the Hornby one look quite toy like.  If that's the quality we can expect with the Class 92, I'll be really pleased. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm an novice, I know nothing about the class 71, and I do not know which one of the models in the  photos in #1542 is Hornby and which is the DJM model. So this is a double blind observation, but comparing both these models to the photo in #1547  then the model to the right in the last photo of post #1542 best captures the complex curving slope of the cab, now someone please tell me which model I have just declared the winner?

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

To be quite honest I am in two minds which is the best shape. One photo of the real thing and I think it is Hornby's, another and I would say DJ's.

Whichever, I look forward to my two blue ones arriving.

Roy

PS, why no photos of blue ones yet? Hint, hint...

Is everybody bracing themselves for the next stage ............................. "the great comparison"  ??   :O

Hmmmmmmmmmmm !

They're both good - it's just a shame H couldn't have used their vast resource to have done something else like a 4-CIG

(waiting to go out and photo the Robeston - Theale tanks on the Up run - Mrs SM thinks I'm soft in the head)

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

I don't have much of an interest in 71's, but I find this thread fascinating! Both models are superb, and yet both models have errors, some being different errors on the same part!

A few examples - the rain gutter on the DJM model is a bit too pronounced, but on the Hornby model is almost non-existent! The beading around the cab windows is a little heavy on the DJM model, but again almost non-existent on the Hornby model. The buffer beam detail is far superior on the DJM model, except the draw hook is too high - should be on the centre line of the buffers like the Hornby model. The bogie detail on the DJM model is breathtaking - yet it is missing the body to bogie brackets that the Hornby model has. I am sure there will be many other differences apart from those already mentioned that will come to light as the locos are inevitably compared.

Now the above is hopefully my unbiased opinion, others will no doubt differ. In short there is enough differences on both models such that I expect there will be strong advocates of either and the arguments over which is best could be never ending!

Edited by Titan

I'm an novice, I know nothing about the class 71, and I do not know which one of the models in the  photos in #1542 is Hornby and which is the DJM model. So this is a double blind observation, but comparing both these models to the photo in #1547  then the model to the right in the last photo of post #1542 best captures the complex curving slope of the cab, now someone please tell me which model I have just declared the winner?

From those perspectives, I would agree, however I found a photo of a 74 (cab shape is the same as a 71 but there are lots of detail differences, especially with the valences) which would imply the DJM one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8708923@N03/10440706616/in/pool-1541906@N21/

The problem with such shape comparisons, is that photos of the real thing and the models are not taken at the exact same angles. The Models being photoed slightly from above, the real from just below or a 1/3 from up the height of the loco.

And those yellow fronts on blue ones don't make it easier...

Edit: just noticed the cab corner vents are gone and patched over. Found a second pic showing the same

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/CL74/SR0213.jpg

and here is one with, but has had a dent:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/CL74/SR0216.jpg

Did not realise 74s can be so variable and exciting!

Edited by JSpencer

I don't have much of an interest in 71's, but I find this thread fascinating! Both models are superb, and yet both models have errors, some being different errors on the same part!

A few examples - the rain gutter on the DJM model is a bit too pronounced, but on the Hornby model is almost non-existent! The beading around the cab windows is a little heavy on the DJM model, but again almost non-existent on the Hornby model. The buffer beam detail is far superior on the DJM model, except the draw hook is too high - should be on the centre line of the buffers like the Hornby model. The bogie detail on the DJM model is breathtaking - yet it is missing the body to bogie brackets that the Hornby model has.

Now the above is hopefully my unbiased opinion, others will no doubt differ. In short there is enough differences on both models such that I expect there will be strong advocates of either and the arguments over which is best could be never ending!

Hi,

To clarify the bogie brackets are in an accessory bag within the box the loco comes in.

Because my bogies are to the correct width for the real thing, to mount them during construction would be problematical for those with tight radius curves. (It wouldn't go round them) so by allowing the purchaser to fit their own, they can fettle and test on their particular track.

Somewhere around the first 1/4 of this long thread there's mention of this.

HTH

Cheers

Dave