OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

All I care is that when mine come they are nice and tidy and run well, if they are delayed a bit, who cares ?

Ditto.

Re your wish list, a 4COR would be me gratefully received, having spotted them in Pompey whilst visiting folks (and HM Dockyard, of course).

Dave,

Many thanks for your updates, I can sense your frustration in the production and delivery of this loco, only you know if 30% of the total is a worth while volume to ship and deliver. IMHO the Hattons ' Golden Arrow' should have taken a lower priority to the original 'crowd funded' locos. And been finished and shipped separately.

I didn't see Hattons advertising in 2014 a class 71. Not intierly satisfied, but appreciate you're between a rock sand a very hard place

• RMweb Gold

there were more than a few failures due to glue marks and in level arrows.

Sounds familiar. Not the same factory by any chance? :O

I have no dog in this particular fight, but do have a wonky liveried DRS 68........

Hope you get it sorted out :good:

Lol , no not the same factory.

I was advised that there was a risk of glue around the arrows being visible, but suggested glue behind the tip and feathers leaving the shaft of the arrow free.

However there was still a risk of failed application meaning glue etc, and these were refused.

Not really any un-level arrows as they fit on the brackets on the body side.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update Dave.  I appreciate your tradtional British sense of "fair play".  Speaking personally, if somebody else got theirs before I got mine, I would take it with the same mindset as when somebody else wins the lottery and I don't!  Luck of the draw and all that.  Life's like that, oh dear, how sad, never mind.  But I appreciate your viewpoint and that others might not feel like I do.
So long as they both turn up in the post together, I'll be happy to wait.

Edited by Phatbob

I think the things is that we've all waited such a long time for this model that a few more weeks isn't going to make any difference. There may be further delays of course so I'm not holding my breath. I hope there will be a some spare models made in the event that some models are unsatisfactory for one reason or another, but presumably there will be as it's not a limited edition so if you get a duff one it can be replaced.

Keith

I think the things is that we've all waited such a long time for this model that a few more weeks isn't going to make any difference. There may be further delays of course so I'm not holding my breath. I hope there will be a some spare models made in the event that some models are unsatisfactory for one reason or another, but presumably there will be as it's not a limited edition so if you get a duff one it can be replaced.

Keith

Hi,

The Crowdfunded ones are certificated limited editions and will never be re run in those livery / number combinations.

There will be a very few model bodies made extra as spares , and of course the mechanics etc will be available as spares across the range.

The Hattons / Kernow models are special editions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

As presumably these models have to be packed and posted would it not be better to receive those from China that are ready. As the batches arrive all work that needs to be conducted in the UK can be undertaken the models packed and held. This would save time. After all, if the aim it that everybody receives their model at approximately the same time whether the models are held in China or the UK shouldn't be an issue.

As presumably these models have to be packed and posted would it not be better to receive those from China that are ready. As the batches arrive all work that needs to be conducted in the UK can be undertaken the models packed and held. This would save time. After all, if the aim it that everybody receives their model at approximately the same time whether the models are held in China or the UK shouldn't be an issue.

I rather think that Dave knows what he is doing for the greater good of all of us.

• RMweb Premium

And it would cost Dave more in the long run having to pay for multiple shippings. Better to save them over there and send in one lot than in 4 or 5 lots.

• RMweb Premium

Depending upon their arrival date in the UK and the retailer's mailing arrangements mine will either be the very last item delivered to Penhayle Bay in Australia or the second to reach the new UK home. Line honours there went to another Dave Jones creation namely a D***l Western which was awaiting my arrival.

By the by a couple of mentions of the wishlisted 4-Cor unit have cropped up again in recent posts. This is also very high on my list for several reasons. It might bear repeating that I had some discussions some time back which failed to produce enough interest to push such a project forward. The Cor remains firmly on my list but at 2017 prices would potentially retail at around the £500 mark as a commission, perhaps £425 for a catalogue release. If there was commitment to buy at least 1500 units at that sort of price (remembering it might rise before delivery) then such a project might become viable. I'm afraid I don't see that level of interest.

Hi,

The Crowdfunded ones are certificated limited editions and will never be re run in those livery / number combinations.

There will be a very few model bodies made extra as spares , and of course the mechanics etc will be available as spares across the range.

The Hattons / Kernow models are special editions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. I knew about the Hattons ones, but  I was under the impression that it was just the weathered ones that were a Kernow exclusive. It's just that I had a problem with the Dapol D1000 where there were pick up issues and the heads of two of the screws holding the body to the chassis had been chewed up on assembly thus making it impossible to remove the body for repairs or decoder fitting. The box was lovely though and also contained a Lion and Wheel pin badge. Of course, as all the models had been sold, the only option on offer was a refund of the purchase price, hence my worries about limited editions generally.

Cheers  Keith

Depending upon their arrival date in the UK and the retailer's mailing arrangements mine will either be the very last item delivered to Penhayle Bay in Australia or the second to reach the new UK home. Line honours there went to another Dave Jones creation namely a D***l Western which was awaiting my arrival.

By the by a couple of mentions of the wishlisted 4-Cor unit have cropped up again in recent posts. This is also very high on my list for several reasons. It might bear repeating that I had some discussions some time back which failed to produce enough interest to push such a project forward. The Cor remains firmly on my list but at 2017 prices would potentially retail at around the £500 mark as a commission, perhaps £425 for a catalogue release. If there was commitment to buy at least 1500 units at that sort of price (remembering it might rise before delivery) then such a project might become viable. I'm afraid I don't see that level of interest.

(Ref the bit in red)

I am certainly one of those who in these threads has expressed a wish for a 4-COR (and for me, it would be the original, 1938-ish version).

Those with better knowledge of the market than me might know differently, but I would tend to agree with you that the level of interest, based on region, the 3rd rail, type and, most of all, probable cost, will be somewhat limited, to say the least.

Seems such a pity that plastic kit manufacturers (of the Ian Kirk type) have almost disappeared from the scene, as the 'serious' 4-COR market (in 4mm/foot) might have been satisfied by them, even if only by making the sides and ends, with other components to be sourced elsewhere. That said, painting and lining a Maunsell-liveried version would present a major challenge for many of us (well, me, at least!).

• Like 1

I agree that a 4-COR is going to be expensive, and a relative risk, however I think your £500 is rather off. £70 per coach "should" be sufficient (4 x £70 = £280) plus £50 to £100 for motor bogie and lighting (why ?), so £330 to 380.  Hornby showed how to do Maunsell coaches a decade ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that a 4-COR is going to be expensive, and a relative risk, however I think your £500 is rather off. £70 per coach "should" be sufficient (4 x £70 = £280) plus £50 to £100 for motor bogie and lighting (why ?), so £330 to 380.  Hornby showed how to do Maunsell coaches a decade ago.

Really depends on how many you are going to sell and what sort of return you want!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sadly the 71 hasn't beaten the time-lock here and will be delivered to London instead of Australia.  That has the modest embuggerance of obliging me to pay VAT on it.  But it was always a very slim chance of it appearing on Penhayle Bay.  Even if they were in the air today by the time they have reached the retailer, been repacked and sent back across the oceans of the world the layout will be closed.

No matter.  I look forward to the arrival my 71 and it can visit the future Southern electric-themed location yet to be revealed as the future layout.

Reflecting briefly upon the 4Cor posts above the shelf price for such an item may well be influenced by the number of pieces commissioned and I stand by my figure of £500 (or perhaps something approaching it) despite replies from those quite knowledgable in the hobby.  I wouldn't want to commission a 4Cor without a proportion of each sale going to SEG(P) and (SEG(H) who are responsible for the preserved unit.  I declare an interest and I declare my concern that the vehicles need urgent and substantial funding to survive.  But that's my opinion and others are available.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Found this on the Kernow site.

Hopefully soon!

Project Update - 5th April 2017 - models leave China!
Dave Jones at DJ Models tells us that the Class 71s have left China and should be here by the end of April.  The crowd-funded pristine versions will arrive first (in two batches), followed by our exclusive weathered versions soon after.

KZ

• Like 4