Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

We are recognised by the BBC Breakfast show

PS: Naga is a fan of golf and plays five times a week.  Just putting it out there.

She has time to play it five times a week...? I do alright working for Freightliner with plenty of time off etc, but wouldn't mind doing a stint at the Beeb...! ;)

• RMweb Premium

The bit on BBC Look North tonight was far better. Shorter without too many nerdy bits. No slightly sniggering body language. Harry mentioned that he been a spotter as a lad (he is old like me :beee: ). Then Paul the Weatherman showed a piccy of Alberta crossing Ribblehead; great pic and he didn't snigger either, just said he did not know the name of the locomotive. An enjoyable watch all round; well done Look North but then you do have a member of the team who is a real enthusiast.

Phil

I hate say this but if more (ahem) 'celebs' came out of the closet so to speak we'd probably get a lot less condescention from the media in general. Years ago I recall an interview with Chris Tarrant where he spoke warmly of being a spotter in his youth. Michael Caine, Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart are all model railway enthusiasts, even Brian Jones, founder member of the Rolling Stones was a steam man (he also loved buses and bought two a few months before he died). I know Rod's layout is fairly well known already but it would be nice to see / hear more from him if possible. Pete Waterman's passion is blatantly obvious and I'm sure we could do with more of the same from other well known folk.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Does it matter what name is given to us who enjoy railways in whatever branch of the wider hobby. I tend to call myself by a name I heard given to railway enthusiast by the staff on the RHDR, "Puffer Nutter" and I model diesels. I really don't care what others think, in fact Bow Locks* to them.

The most important part of any hobby is to enjoy yourself.

Why people do running, whizz down mountain sides on two planks of wood in the cold, play cricket (what's that all about?), collect toy trains etc? etc? because they have fun doing so, excellent.

* Bow Locks was where Channel Four broadcasted the very much missed "The Big Breakfast" from, so sort of on topic as the issue was rasied following an item on another breakfast show.

• RMweb Gold

Trainspotting - Dutch style !!!

guessflick03_468x321.jpg

Brit15

The chap in the red top would be hard pushed not to have spotted that train. He must be keen, his cleaning has rubbed off some of the yellow paint, revealing the old blue livery underneath.

Naga Manchetti is an avid golfer, so I suggest we ask Gordon A (another man who knows how to spoil a good walk!) to invite her to a game and afterwards take her upstairs to see his etchings!!!!!!!  :jester:

Phil

i rather like the latin name that one gentleman said "ferroequinologist"

I actually put that on my CV, many years ago, under 'other interests'. When asked about it in interview, it has led on to some fruitful discussion, showing strong interests by me, and introducing knowledge and skills that I have.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

BBC breakfast often does items related to rail that aren't just about fare increases - I remember a couple of years ago Tim Muffet did a piece about GBRf hiring a deltic for the Alcan PCAs. Great footage and sensibly reported - I remember chewing my lip with envy and wishing I'd pitched the idea!

I am away and haven't seen the item that's the subject of this thread but among the general acceptance that the tone of the report was fair and not patronising it seems a pity that some are still focussing on one (arguably) negative comment made in a throwaway remark by the presenter off the back.

However well intentioned, it's grist to the mill of those who suggest that railfans (an Americanism I rather like!) have no sense of humour!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Paul Clifton also does sensible and non sensational railway reporting on BBC South. Quite amusing when he reported on the extra seats on surburban stock and passengers moaned it was cramped, he pointed out they had demanded them.

• RMweb Premium

PS: Naga is a fan of golf and plays five times a week.  Just putting it out there.

I'm a golfer and a trainspotter railway enthusiast, so I'm doubly damned..................

Triple damned if you include cycling.

Cheers,

Mick

I hate say this but if more (ahem) 'celebs' came out of the closet so to speak we'd probably get a lot less condescention from the media in general. Years ago I recall an interview with Chris Tarrant where he spoke warmly of being a spotter in his youth. Michael Caine, Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart are all model railway enthusiasts, even Brian Jones, founder member of the Rolling Stones was a steam man (he also loved buses and bought two a few months before he died). I know Rod's layout is fairly well known already but it would be nice to see / hear more from him if possible. Pete Waterman's passion is blatantly obvious and I'm sure we could do with more of the same from other well known folk.

Well of course we have a pretty cool and well-respected guy with a decently high profile attending the Ricoh do in a couple of weeks don't we!

It's " eye ball paul " isn't it ?

I am in no sense of the word a trainspotter, I'm a modeller and that's it.

If I happen to be on a platform ( about once every three years ) I'll have a passing interest but that's it

• RMweb Gold

"Trainspotting" IMHO is an acceptable name for the hobby of spotting trains.  Trainspotting is only one aspect of Railway Enthusuasm so technically Ms Naga is correct as the programme was concerned about that one aspect. In fact the NRM also use the term in reference to their exhibition on the subject. http://www.nrm.org.uk/GetInvolved/trainspotting.aspx

As for the phrase "train station", it is now used by the prototype . See this picture of Newry station on the Northern Ireland Railways network. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/4726481135_4ed12bc160.jpg

Archived