RMweb

Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

If there isn't any detail available, I'll follow up with their "request for information" link which pops up an email address.

I followed up with Oxford Rail directly and got a refreshingly speedy response* from a gent named Tim.

He said:

... we’ll be releasing further details such as the initial liveries etc over the coming months on the website – so please keep re-visiting to check for further updates.

* Compared a a big brand name model railway company I won't name here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Not sure if this has been noted elsewhere on this thread, but Gaugemaster say on their website that they are to distribute the Oxford Rail Adams Radial, so that might be somewhere to watch for news.

Has it been confirmed that the Adams radial is the prototype that another couple of manufacturers were also working on?

It will be very interesting to see what compromises are necessary to keep the tooling costs manageable and yet still produce the livery variations. I knew about the different boilers, as the domes look different on the three locos that survived at Lyme Regis and were photographed from every angle, but different diameter trailing wheels and slidebar arrangements had passed me by, and to be honest, don't really bother me (and I suspect about 99% of the potential customers) as long as it looks "right" - but I know that's a subjective judgement.

I wonder how they will get enough weight over the driving wheels to give the model reasonable adhesion - perhaps their die-cast expertise will be useful?

Were any of the three survivors ever used on railtours in BR days? That might be the excuse I need to buy one.

As an ill informed commentator I would like to say the next manufacturing base will be.................North Korea.  How do I know, well my friend in Taiwan who has a plastic moulding company is moving his plant from China to there.  Reason, to get over the labour shortages and to keep his prices down.  The company was originally set up in Taiwan, however his workers paid for better education of their children who now do not want to work on the shop floor of a factory but want to work in a nice clean office environment.  The same is happening in China.

​I wish to say thank you to Dave (DJ Models) for backing my views on the Bubble Bursting on the UK manufacturers which was on another thread, I was considered consensus for those remarks by some,  Apologises will be excepted on a postcard.  They know who they are.

I hope that the Bubble does not burst in the near future and if the slowing down of the American market starts to pick up we might find that the British market slowing down.

Loconuts

Yes. There is photographic evidence of 30582 on railtour duty. The "REC South Western Adams Radial Tank Railtour" 19/3/1961. Photo by Mike Morant at Guildford. Also on the Wikipedia page "LSWR 415 class" there is a photograph of 30583 on a railtour in 1953. There may be more. If you put "adams radial railtour" into Google then it's the first couple of entries.

I'm going to have to work out how this forum works properly in regards to links, quotes, etc. I use another forum and it's a totally different set up.  :scratchhead:

Jason.

• RMweb Premium

I have some of the Oxford bus and coach models. The upper half or sometimes three quarters of these models is clear perspex painted or tampo printed where appropiate, hopefully they may use this technique to produce passenger rolling stock.

As an ill informed commentator I would like to say the next manufacturing base will be.................North Korea.  How do I know, well my friend in Taiwan who has a plastic moulding company is moving his plant from China to there. ....

I really hope that comes true, because then I can look forward to photos of Kim Jong-Un looking at models, in the same way that his late father was famous for looking at things

There's a shot of one at about 3:53 in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j9TGR69hTM

Thank you for posting some old cine film.

Aside from the Adams 415, which seemed to be the only loco in clean condition, there were many other interesting surprises, such as a Q1 pulling a passenger train of a Ivatt 2mt tank fitted with push pull gear working on the southern... Many of the trains were quite small proving that you do not need monster rakes on a layout

If I am not mistaken, do I see Isle of White modified Adams O2s running on the mainline in this clip?

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

I really hope that comes true, because then I can look forward to photos of Kim Jong-Un looking at models, in the same way that his late father was famous for looking at things

He's not just "looking at things", he's giving "Field Guidance" - see the poor oiks in the background with jotters at the ready?  They're ready to take notes and write down each pearl of wisdom from the revered one for immediate action.  His dad was often quite wrong.....

I dread to think of what he might make of a Victorian tank loco, to paraphrase the Emperor of Austria; "Too many parts!!!".  :scratchhead:

(wetware spelling checker not working well today...)

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

Aside from the Adams 415, which seemed to be the only loco in clean condition, there were many other interesting surprises, such as a Q1 pulling a passenger of a Ivatt 2mt tank fitted with push pull gear working on the southern... Many of the trains were quite small pricing that you do not need monster rakes on a layout

This is early '60s Guildford - and the main line trains had all been electric since before the war. So, excursions apart, e.g. the double-headed Bulleids, these steamers are the Tonbridge-Reading trains and the Guildford - Horsham branch. The latter was the destination/origin for the several Maunsell pull-push sets on view, often with an additional coach. A Saturday strengthening seem likely. Note Cookham Manor, a regular on the daily WR-SR route-refresh trip to Redhill, but only from early '62, I think. Before that it was 43xx-worked.

• Like 2

I think it is great news that there is another organisation/ manufacturer bringing models to market. Hornby and Bachmann have been effectively the market leaders for a long time but clearly struggling to get product onto the shelves of the model shops. I have not forgot Dapol but they seem to have disappeared lately, hopefully not for long. It can only be positive if they do not have the same issues with manufacturing. We are also starting to see manufacturers that are listening to a bigger range of modellers and prepared try the market with some of the models you would consider to have a smaller geographical spread. Don't give me a kicking about the Adams as I'm unsure of the range but if you compare with BR standards or an A4 and the range those covered. From my point of view, I was very thankful Dave is brining the Q6.

I suppose with increased manufacturers we have more regular new models to buy, only a good thing :yes:

Kernow have dropped hints over an all new exclusive model these past few weeks. Photos being of an Adams 415.

Now, most thought that Kernow is going to annouce another all new exclusive tooling for Kernow. ( certainly the class fits in with previous items they have done!). But it may be that Kernow has en exclusive on certain numbers and liveries from Oxfordrail instead (which also fits in with their behavior).

They also said a new diesel model in the news letter, and with hints of 2 other items from Oxfordrail.......

All will be revealed at Warley we are told?

HI All,

Here's an interesting one to muse over!. Oxford have recently produced two beautiful 1.76 Southdown coaches

for about £12 full retail. EFE and Corgi model buses are over £30 full retail.

Could Oxford produce a loco for a lot less than the big two without loss of quality!. I hope so.

HI All,

Here's an interesting one to muse over!. Oxford have recently produced two beautiful 1.76 Southdown coaches

for about £12 full retail. EFE and Corgi model buses are over £30 full retail.

Could Oxford produce a loco for a lot less than the big two without loss of quality!. I hope so.

Well, coaches certainly. A GN Quad-Art set for starters would be nice.

The Nim.

• Like 1

Hi Nimbus   The Quad-arts have been a major need for years to go with the N2 but ideally you need both types of 4 car set  to run the normal 8 car train.  Why not the Quints, which did run singly, and the N7  ( or another GE tank ? )  to complete the train in view of the current influx of other GE prototypes.  Ideal of course for sharp curves if the articulation is adjustable and a very short train overall.  I am not sure if the Quints formation would enable parts of the Quads to be accurately modelled by changing the formation and the bogies may need changing but in either case I believe 5 body shells are needed to be correct, Harris's book does not go into great detail about this.

Regards all   adrianbs     PS I did suggest this in connection with the Hornby Magazine Diesel brake tender, had they done the version with Heavy Duty bogies but as there seem to have only been two DBTs like this, that variant would be most unlikely although an accurate bogie would be useful.