Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

RRP seems to be £99.99. Regardless of the positives and negatives Oxford has dipped their toe into the water of 00 models. The market can take other manufacturers seeking to enter the market, beyond Hornby & Bachmann - I recall growing up with much less choice, and with less detail.

Buyers will decide on whether they support this model. Soon Heljan will have their 02 out in shops, as they enter the UK steam model market. The market has changed, but only time will tell as to whether these entrants gain market share to a level to make it viable.

• RMweb Gold

RRP seems to be £99.99. Regardless of the positives and negatives Oxford has dipped their toe into the water of 00 models. The market can take other manufacturers seeking to enter the market, beyond Hornby & Bachmann - I recall growing up with much less choice, and with less detail.

Buyers will decide on whether they support this model. Soon Heljan will have their 02 out in shops, as they enter the UK steam model market. The market has changed, but only time will tell as to whether these entrants gain market share to a level to make it viable.

All they need to do is make a profit (preferably on each model) and that effectively means selling enough to recover their total costs plus whatever margin they desire on top of clearing their costs.  If they want a better (=bigger) return on their investment their trade price will reflect it, and hence the retail price.  If they wish to establish themselves as a force in the market - as Oxfordrail clearly do (and ideally also have their own capital available to fund investment) - then they may offer a lower price and accept a lower rate of return.  

Equally the size and running costs of the company coming through as a need to also contribute to overheads will impact on the price they charge - Hornby is a large company so might seek a greater contribution than a small company such as Oxford so logically if they are making exactly the same thing their price is likely to be higher, certainly on initial batches of a new r-t-r loco or item of rolling stock.  Subsequent batches, assuming they are marketable, might well not need to make such a contribution but will provide a potentially greater level of gross profit if production etc costs do not rise in the meanwhile (but if production costs rise so will the price we pay).

With Rails, Invicta, Kernow and Hattons all pricing the Oxford Radial at the £85-88 mark, and the Hornby Radial at £105-111, it seems that there is already a healthy discounting going on, and I myself doubt that it will drop any lower.

It is a charming, charismatic locomotive and I'm sure many people at those prices will find excuses to run one, if not two! 

• Like 2

As a child of the diesel age and modelling BR 1970's blue - and totally ignorant of correct slide valve configurations etc - to my untrained eye it looks simply lovely - it's always been one of my favourite Bluebell engines.

and I now want one to go with the SECR "C" that's totally out of my timescale.

that preserved loco cavalcade is getting longer .........................

• Like 3

The K's Adams Radial would not go round curves of less than three feet if you built it according to the instructions because the radial axle was mounted on the body. It looks like the Oxfordrail radial truck is similar to that on the Bachmann E4 so it should be able to run on tight curves.

Neither would the PDK one that i built. I had to cut the chassis and put a floating axle box in, a lot of careful filling and soldering but hay it works.

Colin 

I think many of the comments are rather cruel for an £85 model, the detail and general appearance is up with Hornby's recent manufacture-assembly quality. Slight misalignments here and there. The digital camera is cruel.  To the naked eye, it will be fine, and it's no problem to darken a handrail

The Rails of Sheffield pics which I cannot show here are good.

And here is a pic from the webpage of Muz which he may allow, will remove if necessary. I added a vignette effect. Sorry Muz if it offends.

All-in-all a very attractive model and I have bought mine and will photograph it in a suitably sylvan glade, bursting out from overhead bridge, sun glinting, exhaust galore.

Only £70 to we outside-EU. +post...

just my opinion folks.  It's a lovely piece of Victorian-age steam still going in 1959-60!   :)

Edited by Andy Y
Copyright image removed once more - that image is copyright of Tony Wright / BRM as stated in Muz's blog where it was reproduced after permissions were sought. Please do not copy other's images without express consent.
  • Like 3

Not available locally so I pre-ordered the LSWR version from Rails of Sheffield for £84.50 post free. I found their web site more difficult to use than Hattons' site. I had to reset my password and my card number. The price went up to £88 during the order but ended up at £84.50. No acknowledgement of order at my email address but I made a note of the number and it is recorded on my account on their website.

I don't think there will be any problems with supply as Oxfordrail have their own factory. When Oxford Die-cast sell out of one of their model cars they produce another batch so it will probably be the same with locomotives and rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I didn't see the copyright info. Will cease using other people's images before obtaining consent.

Rob

It was clearly stated within both the caption of the image and also the body text, not sure how you missed it?

I don't think there will be any problems with supply as Oxfordrail have their own factory.

Don't believe all you read, the term "own factory" has been subject to 'interpretation'....

• Like 3

I am sure that many of us on this Forum are OD collectors; for the money their best are quite excellent. Sadly, some vehicle castings fall below the company standard, but they still get released. It is these occasional lapses in QC that undermine my confidence for Oxford Rail. But I hope to give a fair chance to an 0415 Tank engine, in Southern livery, just as soon as I get hold of one. I believe that there could be three prototypes from which OR may choose.

PB

In fact I believe OR have chosen, at this time, to produce two of the possible 3 locos that remained in BR service on the Lyme Regis branch..  30583 is the BR version of the loco with the original frames, and single slide bars, which was later retrofitted on the Bluebell and became 488 in LSWR guise.  The alternative BR loco is 30584, which has the replaced later frames and double slide bars.

Hornby are doing 30582 and 30584, both later frames and double slide bars, as well as the LSWR 488.  This leaves a probable future Hornby release of 30583, if sales warrant it, but, if you don't want to wait, Oxford Rail is the only choice for 30583.

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that many of us on this Forum are OD collectors; for the money their best are quite excellent. Sadly, some vehicle castings fall below the company standard, but they still get released. It is these occasional lapses in QC that undermine my confidence for Oxford Rail. But I hope to give a fair chance to an 0415 Tank engine, in Southern livery, just as soon as I get hold of one. I believe that there could be three prototypes from which OR may choose.

PB

As a matter of interest does anyone know if the diecasts and the railway models are coming from the same factory?  I fully understand that some Chinese factories do work in a variety of materials but powered railway models are quite a way from relatively simple diecast road vehicles although they do incorporate some cast metal component of course.

I only buy their (OD) Military stuff (and Landrovers), mainly because civilian vehicles do not really interest me. They have chosen a lot of UK/Commonwealth subjects that all other diecast manufacturers tend to ignore completly (these days, when someone annouces a Panther or Tiger tank, I am like "oh, not another one", even certain German trucks and vehicles are in their umpteenth version). 

What is more, their military vehicles are 1/76th, the same as OO gauge, where as other makes are 1/72nd (the same as Aircraft).

I am very happy with them.

• Like 3