Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Do you know the date of that quote?

I am interested because the famous psychotherapist Wilfred Bion (commander of one of those First World War early tanks) began reassuring angst ridden patients sometime in the 1930s about the "good enough mother"....

I thought it was Winnicott who developed the idea of a "good enough" mother (sic)?

Incidentally, on a particularly pedantic point, Bion was a psychoanalyst rather than a psychotherapist.

Paul

Edited by Fenman

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it was their strategy to have a competitor for their first locomotive launch. If I recall correctly, they announced first.

Quite so. But we don't know at which point in time Hornby or Oxford decided to "do" the radial. In much the same way as Hornby and Hattons/DJM with the King.

And we'll probably never know.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The Adams Radial were typical Victorian locomotives. Elegant small boilered long legged engines. To convey this a light touch is needed. From the available images, Hornby seemed to have nailed it. I accept that the image if 30584 from Hornby may be computer trickery but it has to reflect the final product. For one it has light in the right places.

Rob.

post-14122-0-05211500-1448002940.jpg

post-14122-0-39514000-1448002956_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-94693900-1448002970.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Interesting comparison.

The safety dome looks right on the Hornby one plus the front footplate is different on both models but not studied a photo of the real 30583 yet.

I will be getting one of each. Something that I don't normally do but as Oxford a Rail are new I feel it's worth getting one of thiers.

If certain details do need altering then I am happy to do so as that's what I enjoy doing.

The pictures of the Oxfordrail Adams Radial look considerably better than my attempt at making a Ks kit. I never finished this as the motor burned out on its first test run. Both the Ks kit and the 00 Works models had daylight under the boiler. After waiting 40 years for the Wrenn version to appear the lack of daylight is not going to deter me from buying one. It will be interesting to read how the performance of the Oxfordrail Radial compares with the 00 Works version. 00 Works locomotives are made of white metal giving them excellent pulling power. I will need at least two LSWR Adams Radials for my model of the Swanage Railway; one for goods trains and one for passenger trains, so I will buy one Oxfordrail Radial and one Hornby version. I missed out on the LSWR 00 Works model because my financial position was not good when it came out in 2004.

As the LSWR version is not out yet I will have an opportunity to read the reviews and shop around before buying one. Unfortunately my local model railway shop on a heritage railway will not be stocking them as the minimum order Oxfordrail wanted was too high. This is a pity because the Adams Radials were a maid of all work on that railway in LSWR days and the shop could have displayed them with pictures of the real locomotive on the line.

• RMweb Premium

Well it's a major coup on Oxfords part to get the model in the shops ahead of Hornby , and more significantly I think get a supply to Warley. I'm sure lots will be picked up by modellers just for the novelty factor. It's a shame they have competition from newly resurgent Hornby and I hope it doesn't put them off making future models. I have high hopes for Oxford. I think in this case there's a £20 differential in price too.

• Like 3

I am looking forward to reading information about the prototype in the magazine reviews of Oxfordrail's Adams Radial. There is a picture of Adams Radial 493 hauling a train through Challow Hill cutting at Corfe Castle with a train for Bournemouth Central around 1903 with some further information on page 90 of Swanage and Purbeck in Old Photographs by David Haysom and David Bragg.

I am preparing a display of photographs to put in the up waiting shelter of Wareham Station and if I can get permission to display this picture it may encourage people to buy a model.

Quite so. But we don't know at which point in time Hornby or Oxford decided to "do" the radial. In much the same way as Hornby and Hattons/DJM with the King.

And we'll probably never know.

Cheers,

Mick

What I can say is that, probably ten years ago, I was told by someone who was in a position to know, of quite a list of forthcoming Hornby subjects.

All of the projects in the list have come to pass, the last being the Radial.

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is about the same or a tad more expensive than Bachmann's E4. I cannot think of comparable Railroad item. The tank engines being smaller and cheaper, everything else much bigger but about the same price, maybe cheaper. I agree though it is way above railroad standard.

A famous Royal Navy warship design (later author) often said "better is the enemy of the good enough".

And, for those willing to pay £120 for the Hornby one (or a bit less for Collectors Club Members,) rather than about £90 for the Oxford model, better may well be on offer. 

I will be a bit less inclined to pay such a premium for the red-boxed item if it turns out to have J15/700 style handrails, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Well it's a major coup on Oxfords part to get the model in the shops ahead of Hornby , and more significantly I think get a supply to Warley. I'm sure lots will be picked up by modellers just for the novelty factor. It's a shame they have competition from newly resurgent Hornby and I hope it doesn't put them off making future models. I have high hopes for Oxford. I think in this case there's a £20 differential in price too.

One benefit of the BR versions chosen is that you can get all 3 Lyme Billies by buying Oxford and Hornby versions, which is what I decided to do some time ago, albeit one will have the wrong boiler for them all running at the same time. I also want to support Oxford as they are an innovative British model design business, which they have shown in their diecast vehicle range, which I hope they will repeat in the model railway market. They could be a breath of fresh air and they are an already established business that owns its manufacturing facility in China, so less likely to have the Hornby supply issues, which hopefully have been resolved but only by switching to a multi manufacturer policy.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Premium

I just wish that when a company new to the sector supplies a model for review and photography etc, that the parts were properly inspected.

I think letting the toolbox? (above the cylinder) be photographed at this crooked angle, having a bent piston rod and front lamp iron askew is just sloppiness.

The drawings from way back showed something in the way under the boiler, compared to the Hornby drawings. I still cannot quite work out what this is but it looks not a lot worse than Bachmann's C class gearbox poking ahead of the firebox. I can't understand why that was allowed to occur and can't with this either; I can just about live with that so will look with interest on the reviews of this before purchasing.

Many thanks

Ian

Guest spet0114

I was all set to order an Oxford radial, but that boiler skirt has put me right off the idea. I'm entertaining the forlorn hope that the pictures are of a livery sample which may not represent the final loco engineering-wise.

I'm entertaining the forlorn hope that the pictures are of a livery sample which may not represent the final loco engineering-wise.

If you click on 'Maintenance Sheet' at http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR.htm, it is abundantly clear that the end of the motor projects into the space where the 'skirt' appears in the photos.

So - no hope of daylight below the border, unfortunately.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

There will be those who must have / cannot wait but frankly its difficult to see how the Hornby one will not be significantly better and its best to adopt a wait and see approach. What is pretty certain given previous duplications is that hefty reductions will no doubt follow in a few months.

Production quantities have reduced dramatically across the industry since Bachmann and Hornby went head-to-head over the B1 and BR4 4-6-0 (both of which had been available from the former for donkeys years). It doesn't necessarily follow that the outcome this time will be similar or that reductions will benefit anybody who wants a favourite loco to fit the period of their layout.

Oxford's 30583 (for instance) is modelled as running during its final two years in BR service. Prior to receiving the late BR emblem, it carried a Drummond boiler (safety valves on dome, like Hornby's 30582).

Those who just want to buy an Adams Radial as cheaply as possible, rather than a particular loco in specific condition will pay less and get the least popular versions but, if they habitually choose their purchases on that basis, they'll be used to it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling