Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Just looking at all these picture of both the Oxford Model and ones on the internet.Apart from differences with domes,safety valves etc am I correct in that some locos seem to have two slide bars and some just top one?

Thanks Richard

Yes, that does appear to be the case.  I only noticed that this morning.

In Oxford Rails defence, there's not a lot of room to get a motor in one of these. You only have from the front of the splasher to the back of the inner bulk head witch amounts to about 45mm. I have built 2 PDK kits and did manage to find a gearbox/motor combination that would fit.

post-13496-0-03847800-1448031079_thumb.jpg

Ps i have no relation to Oxford Rail 

• Like 9

Hi,Just looking at all these picture of both the Oxford Model and ones on the internet.Apart from differences with domes,safety valves etc am I correct in that some locos seem to have two slide bars and some just top one?

Thanks Richard

Yes, that does appear to be the case.  I only noticed that this morning.

Those configurations are correct for the Radials as they received different slide bars at different stages in their production / overhauling.

They were all originally built with single slide bars but Mr Drummond came along and changed all that. Out of the 3 remaining on the Lyme Regis Branch Only 30583 had single slide bars as it was brought back by the Southern Railway in 1947 from Private hands. It also had smaller trailing axle wheels and is now the one preserved on the Bluebell Railway. it was never in Southern colours.

Colin 

I have had a look at Rails' website. I like the cab interior detail and the maker's plates. There is some daylight under the boiler towards the front. I have lived with a Hornby Dublo N2 with no daylight under the boiler for the last 60 years so I will be able to live with this model. My main concerns are whether it can haul 12 wagons or six coaches and whether it can run on my layout with second radius curves and points without derailing.

• Like 3

Interestingly the Rails website does show the initial release Radial at £84.50, the other two releases due at £88.50, and it also shows the Hornby locos at £105.50.

Given that the actual images do show the large engine mounting block as obstructing nearly all the boiler 'daylight' on the Oxford's, then at Rail's price I shall be opting for the Hornby ones.

Putting aside any potential problems you have to congratulate Oxford Rail for even having a go at it. Built by no less than 5 different manufacturers. as someone else said the diifferences in them is a complete minefield perhaps one of the reasons why it has never been done before..

Colin  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have had a look at Rails' website. I like the cab interior detail and the maker's plates. There is some daylight under the boiler towards the front. I have lived with a Hornby Dublo N2 with no daylight under the boiler for the last 60 years so I will be able to live with this model. My main concerns are whether it can haul 12 wagons or six coaches and whether it can run on my layout with second radius curves and points without derailing.

On the Lyme Regis branch, they were limited to two coaches single-headed and five double-headed due to the 1 in 40 gradients.  Goods trains were limited to 12 wagons.

I rode behind 488 with five or six on at the Bluebell some tears back without drama, but that's a much easier road. One of her old drivers, the late Tom Woodman, was on the footplate giving the young crew a Masterclass. I got the impression he showed them where the reserve power was hidden! 

As for being able to deal with curves, that was the sole reason the prototypes survived beyond 1930 so it would be ironic if a model couldn't do so!

John

• Like 3

Glad I switched plans for my light railway from 4mm to 7mm, when I discovered Dapol were doing a Kent & East Sussex Terrier. It saves me having to decide which make and version to buy to convert to East Kent Railway No 5!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Thanks for that.Another one of those locos that can be abit of a mine field with lots of changes during their lifes?

Richard

The slide bars are the easy bit on the three that continued working into BR days as they remained constant.

Dates of boiler swaps (there were four boilers, of three different types, shared between three locos with one spare or under overhaul at any given time) require caution, as do livery changes.

What happened post-war and in BR days is well documented but if your interests lie much before 1935 (especially if you pick a loco other than one of the late survivors) that will be more of a task.

John

I suspect that the Hornby offering may well turn out to be the 'nicer' of the two, but you know if the Oxford one turns out to be rather more robust in terms of bits falling off and the like then I think I could forgive the lack of boiler daylight - we all like to play with our trains sometimes!

Glad I switched plans for my light railway from 4mm to 7mm, when I discovered Dapol were doing a Kent & East Sussex Terrier. It saves me having to decide which make and version to buy to convert to East Kent Railway No 5!

I suspect this will be on the cards at some point and will make a nice additional to my pre grouping Kentish collection!

Those configurations are correct for the Radials as they received different slide bars at different stages in their production / overhauling.

The further you go back in time, the more rustic and variable locomotives become. And there was a lot of "make do" as they went through their liv

Not a loco I'm particularly familiar with, but I can't help being struck by how small the water tank is (on both prototype and model!) compared with the size of the loco!

The large bunker does incorporate a small-ish water tank within it as well, but I doubt that holds too much water.

• RMweb Gold

The K's Adams Radial would not go round curves of less than three feet if you built it according to the instructions because the radial axle was mounted on the body. It looks like the Oxfordrail radial truck is similar to that on the Bachmann E4 so it should be able to run on tight curves.

I've got a brass kit-built one (Jidenco) which is effectively a very rigid 4-6-0.

Whoever built it didn't get it straight because it will go round 5' LH curves but refuses to interact with RH ones at any price!

Needless to say, it lives in the display cabinet and my long-standing intentions to do something about it have been overtaken by events.

So long as the rear axle on the Oxford one has some (any!) sort of pivot, there's nothing about the rest of it to cause any trouble.

John

• RMweb Gold

The large bunker does incorporate a small-ish water tank within it as well, but I doubt that holds too much water.

I think there's a well tank between the frames, too.

Total capacity of 1,000 gallons as built,  but reduced to 800 gallons on locos selected for use on the Lyme Regis branch. This was done to keep them within the weight restriction of the line, probably by the simple expedient of fitting an overflow pipe at a suitable height. Whether it was also done to 488 (30583) after the SR bought it in 1946 is unclear. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling