Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively would it be possible to do away with the universal joint and fit the motor direct to the gearbox?

Quite possibly, but it is interesting to note from the CAD images that Hornby appear to be using a very similar arrangement in their forthcoming Q6.

I presume it is done to allow the flywheel to be on the drive end of the motor (as in diesels) but with steam locos it's easy enough to put one at the other end. 

John

• RMweb Gold

There are a lot of dimensions of the Adams Radial in the drawing on page 152 of A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives by J. H. Russell but since they started making model locomotives in China all the dimensions seem to be correct anyway. Perhaps there is no longer any need to have a table of dimensions in reviews.

A very trusting attitude, if I may say so.

The cynic in me would suggest that one of the reasons most things are correct is that everyone expects the measurements to be included in reviews.......

John

• RMweb Premium

A very trusting attitude, if I may say so.

The cynic in me would suggest that one of the reasons most things are correct is that everyone expects the measurements to be included in reviews.......

John

Surely the pertinent point is - does it look right?

If you can't tell by looking at a model that something is wrong, what's the point of taking a rule to it prove that what initially appeared to you to be OK is actually marginally inaccurate?

JMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Surely the pertinent point is - does it look right?

If you can't tell by looking at a model that something is wrong, what's the point of taking a rule to it prove that what initially appeared to you to be OK is actually marginally inaccurate?

JMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I agree, but I am usually only interested in models of prototypes with which I have/had at least some familiarity.

Publishing main dimensions at least discourages any return to the bad-old-days when the bodies of all 0-6-0 models were "tweaked" to fit one chassis.

John

You wrote, "the front bufferbeam lacks any rivet detail". 

What rivet detail? I'm looking at 2 pictures of the actual loco in the book Southern Branch lines and even under magnification apart from the rivets to hold the buffers on I can't see any.

Sorry, I realised (too late) that my comment was ambiguous. 'The lack of rivets' would have been better, as the real loco doesn't have them. I was trying to convey that the very plain buffer beam with no rivets, no pipes and an under-sized coupling hook, does make for a big splash of detail-less red paint which, I think, affects the front-end character of the model. However, it is YET ANOTHER detail difference between the three locomotives as 30582 and 30584 DID have rivets on the front buffer beam. (CJL)

Further to observations about its running qualities on C&L track, I purchased one of these locos and can confirm that the flanges do bump along the chairs, this occurring on curves, the bogie and radial being the main culprits.( These are approx 25" radius and it might not be such a problem with larger radii as on gentler sections it runs clear)  I ran the engine as an 0-4-0 and the drivers tend to stay clear of the chairs through all my running lines, the only fouling  happening in a couple of sidings that had tight radius access- approx 18" -  Perhaps restricting the side play on the axles might help, but I suspect the rear axle need a good bit of sideplay. At the moment I am pondering the next course of action - I think that altering the smaller wheels will solve the problem, but as the axle diameter is less than normal, this will involve some destructive work - either turning down the existing flanges or opening out the axle holes to accept Romford wheelsets. Whether I do this or wait for the Hornby model is the question. It's a pity Oxford took a backwards step  with their wheels as the engine runs and responds well and I'm pleased with it otherwise ( the front coupler pocket needs attention to stop the drivers lifting off the track at height differences ,but that is a minor matter to attend to and no doubt will be sorted in future batches.)

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if the C&L track is the same as I have encountered, which is quite old, confined to two little-used sidings and has chairs large enough to contact the wheels on a number of models.

I think it may be as much to do with the shape of the chairs (which are quite chunky and square at the top) as the overall height. Most of the layout is laid with SMP on which the chairs have a noticeably more sloping profile and have, to date, not come into contact with the wheels on any models of mine.

The models I have experienced the problem with most are Bachmann tenders, notably the WD and a fairly early Collett 2251 (with Collett tender), both of which I have since fitted with Markits wheels which clear them just fine. I also had it happen on a Hornby Sir Dinadan converted to an S15 and fitted with (admittedly ancient) Romfords. 

I don't have an Oxford Radial so unfortunately cannot check whether it also does so but would be interested to know if they also 'ground' on SMP, I suspect not.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

Real pity about the flanges being so big, I was going to get one, but finding out it bounces on C+L track i think i will wait till the Hornby one comes out.

I hope they take note about this and move away from the pizza cutters. 

Darren

I was impressed with Chris Leigh's review which was about one and three quarter times as long as the review in the Hornby Magazine and more thorough than the reviews in the Railway Modeller and the Hornby Magazine. The faults included shedding a front footstep, toolbox not properly seated. mounting block under the boiler, buffer lacking rivet detail, smokebox door handles too short, numberplate too high, hinge straps too far apart, handrails painted silver, scale 1' 6" too long, chunky metal tyres and can lose its feet on uneven track.

For me these are all minor faults and I think it is basically a sound model. I don't agree with his conclusion that it is hard to see how Hornby can surpass Oxford Rail's model. It is clear from the photograph of Hornby's decorated sample on page 9 of the Hornby Magazine that the Hornby version is more authentic. Whether it runs better remains to be seen.

I will buy both the LSWR models when they come out and subject them to my Rainhill trials on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layouts at the Stables in Godlingston Manor, Swanage

• Like 2

Real pity about the flanges being so big, I was going to get one, but finding out it bounces on C+L track i think i will wait till the Hornby one comes out.

I hope they take note about this and move away from the pizza cutters. 

Darren

I have been under the impression that our industry had informally/unofficially agreed to adopt a standard wheel profile - with dimensions - for .110" wide wheels. It would help me no end if the references to the wheels, and particularly the flanges, were set against such a standard.

PB

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been under the impression that our industry had informally/unofficially agreed to adopt a standard wheel profile - with dimensions - for .110" wide wheels.

PB

Like they've adopted a standard coupler height? ;)

• Like 1

I have  unfortunately  just  returned an Adams Radial!

One  footstep loose in  box, one  front  buffer  loose in its  socket, upper section of  cab   a poor fit

Worst of  all placed it on the track to test on analogue,  Nothing  no movement, at all,  no load  when  meter tested!

So back in its  box  and back in the post!

Anyone else  had  any problrms?

I think that you will always get the occasional new loco that arrives dead.  The advantage of buying new is that you can return it if it doesn't work properly.  Recently I bought a Hornby Railroad Jinty via Amazon because I needed the chassis.  There was no movement, and the transformer of the control started to hum.  Returned it, and the replacement that they sent was fine. 

I think that you will always get the occasional new loco that arrives dead.  The advantage of buying new is that you can return it if it doesn't work properly.  Recently I bought a Hornby Railroad Jinty via Amazon because I needed the chassis.  There was no movement, and the transformer of the control started to hum.  Returned it, and the replacement that they sent was fine. 

Yes  agreed ........ many  years  of  buying  model  railways  in  the  old  days!!  Faulty  locos  were proportionally higher  than  todays  performance, but  always  a  shame   when  it  is  a 'new' model  from  a 'new'  supplier.

The Radial  was  actually  purchased  for  a present,  so it  wont  be  replaced now  (too late)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my example of the Adam radial tank from my local dealer in Kidderminster, along with a DCC chip to go with the loco, a few days before Christmas.  A present to myself.    

Get it home and run it in DC mode - the maximum it will run is at a scale walking space.  Maybe it's because it's in DC mode, think I.  

Take off the body to fit the chip, and spend the next hour trying without success to fit the chip, plug and harness into the small space available in the bunker.  Run the loco without the body and still it goes no faster than a scale walking pace.  So back to the shop with loco and chip to exchange both.  

Off home I went with a replacement loco and DCC chip which plugs directly into the holder without a harness and it fits perfectly.  Put the loco on the track, still numbered 03, and it makes a noise, moves forward six inches, stops, and refuses to move any more, never more to run on my layout.  

Take the replacement loco back to the  shop and proprietor Derek promises to take to home to get it sorted out.

Fast forward three days and go back to the shop.  Derek tells me it has blown three chips, which he puts down to faulty soldering on the chip holder.  He's hot wired the chip into the loco and it's working.  Take it home again, place it on the layout, it moves forward, stops, and refuses to budge again.

Take it back again to the shop and swap it for a Bachmann E4, which runs perfectly.

I'll wait for Hornby to bring out their Radial Tank.  

Edited by Dad

Two new liveries confirmed. 

OR76AR005 East Kent Railway http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR005.htm
OR76AR006 Southern 3520 http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR006.htm

Plus there seems to be a countdown on the main home page of the Oxford Rail Site... could this be a new model or models to be announced!....  :O

By the looks of things and the way  What Goes Here ? is spaced out, it looks to be a new loco and 4 wagons of some sort? 

Edited by SDJR7F88

Two new liveries confirmed. 

OR76AR005 East Kent Railway http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR005.htm

OR76AR006 Southern 3520 http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76AR006.htm

Plus there seems to be a countdown on the main home page of the Oxford Rail Site... could this be a new model or models to be announced!....  :O

By the looks of things and the way  What Goes Here ? is spaced out, it looks to be a new loco and 4 wagons of some sort? 

And you'd be right.

Just checked their website, which shows the announcement of their intention to produce a Dean Good, 4&6 Plank wagons, Cattle Vans and Mk3 coaches.

Regards,

Matt