Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Interesting mechanical arrangement although quite why is a bit baffling - possibly to make assembly easier re the alignment motor-gearbox.  Looks pretty obvious that a motor fitted direct to the gearbox with a flywheel on its end (or between it and the gearbox) then it would clear the gap below the boiler.

The arrangement has similarities to that long used in a number of US diesel outline models, viz   motor-flywheel - universal joint - worm and gear tower,   although in that arrangement the universal joint has an obvious purpose.  I wonder if the factory have simply adopted the layout from something they are familiar with (or have researched)?

I would like to see a return of firebox glow and a driver and fireman. Hornby used to include these figures and I liked it when they were in period costume as they were in the Rocket. I think it is too early to decide not to buy the Oxfordrail version because the Hornby version may be better. I think people should wait until they have both come out, to read the reviews and examine the models before deciding. I will be buying both so I can compare them and I have already ordered the Oxfordrail 488 as preserved on the Bluebell Line. Perhaps 488 would not be historically accurate with figures from the early 1900s as the locomotive looked slightly different then so it should have modern figures.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is that one can only see firebox glow when the doors are open. The doors are only opened to enable the fireman to add coal. A humble tank engine on secondary and branch duties may not have the need for heavy firing very often. Thus the firebox glow would seldom be visible in reality, and only briefly.

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that one can only see firebox glow when the doors are open. The doors are only opened to enable the fireman to add coal. A humble tank engine on secondary and branch duties may not have the need for heavy firing very often. Thus the firebox glow would seldom be visible in reality, and only briefly.

As well the same consideration applies as to cab lights in "modern" traction - you can't see the illumination as brightly in daylight simply because there is already a good deal of natural light.  Firebox glow might be a "nice-to-have" for some modellers just as is illuminated rolling stock; personally I can live without both the above.

• RMweb Gold

Finally had a look at one in the flesh....er...plastic....er..tin..whatever.

My decision to wait for the Hornby Radial remains the way forward. The infilling under the boiler completely ruins the look of a very graceful and dare I say delicate prototype. The lack of daylight kills the model for me.

The drive for this model appears to be a bit of a lash up. I fail to see the need for the drive shaft and universal joint. More moving parts to break.

A more traditional drive would have left room in the boiler for the DCC gubbins as well as freeing up the under boiler area.

This, coupled to the price would have been unbeatable.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The people who have posted in the Oxford Diecast Facebook site have been impressed with the Adams Radial so it looks like our hobby will be receiving some new recruits from model vehicle collectors.

But how many of them will actually run the thing? I think the clue is in the word "collector".

At least it'll boost sales.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested to see the next Oxford loco. Is the Adams radial indicative of their long term market positioning (aimed at a lower price point with some compromises to reflect that) or were they feeling their way with this release and will take note of the criticisms to improve their next release? I think there is an opportunity for a company losing a little bit of the finery in return for a competitive price (a segment Hornby have served with their new Railroad tooling I think) but it is not really what most expected when this effort was announced. Perhaps their next release will move things up a notch.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 2

I think there is an opportunity for a company losing a little bit of the finery in return for a competitive price (a segment Hornby have served with their new Railroad tooling I think) but it is not really what most expected when this effort was announced.

The trouble is some of the finery is there (e.g readable gauges in the cab) mixed with inexplicable howlers such as the lump of metal where daylight should be, and the missing firebox door.

• RMweb Premium

The trouble is some of the finery is there (e.g readable gauges in the cab) mixed with inexplicable howlers such as the lump of metal where daylight should be, and the missing firebox door.

There looks to be some sort of moulding representing the open sliding firebox door and associated levers.(That is if a Radial has a sliding firebox door?)

Cheers,

ick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

But how many of them will actually run the thing? I think the clue is in the word "collector".

At least it'll boost sales.

Cheers,

Mick

It has been stated that 80%+ of Hornby sales are to collectors so probably not much different.

John

Gave mine a good run in on the rolling road.

Decoder still fine after that and the loco is running very smoothly

It would be useful to know which decoder you used, Rails tried another decoder and that overheated, they were told to hard wire the chip!! Like most folks I want Oxford to succeed but want to know that this model can run.

There looks to be some sort of moulding representing the open sliding firebox door and associated levers.(That is if a Radial has a sliding firebox door?)

Cheers,

ick

Most of Adams designs, in fact I can't think of one that didn't, had a sliding firebox door(s).  It would appear that (see Neil's excellent photos above #1360, top photo) they have made the moulding give an impression of a sliding door.  They just haven't filled the hole in!

Attached is an Adams LT&SR locomotive firebox door.  As you can see it has a square sliding door, but a round firing hole, with a drop down plate.

See next page (#1376) for a clearer image

post-312-0-03381000-1449441693.jpg

Edited by Adams442T

The picture on the Oxford Diecast Facebook page shows the Oxfordrail Adams Radial running on a layout so that is what I would expect the owners to do. Oxford's policy is to make a large number of models. They don't usually make limited runs so they are designed to be run and not to be kept in a glass case as an investment.

• RMweb Premium

. They don't usually make limited runs so they are designed to be run and not to be kept in a glass case as an investment.

Try telling that to my brother.......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The picture on the Oxford Diecast Facebook page shows the Oxfordrail Adams Radial running on a layout so that is what I would expect the owners to do. Oxford's policy is to make a large number of models. They don't usually make limited runs so they are designed to be run and not to be kept in a glass case as an investment.

I'm sure all mass market r-t-r locos are designed to be run but what actually happens to them could well be a different story.  A friend in the retail trade used to order a minimum of 24 of each new release Hornby loco because he knew that he would have buyers for them; on top of that number he also ordered in to match his pre-orders from other customers plus whatever he decided he might need for stock.  Of the 24 I doubt if more than a handful of them even came out of the box let alone turned a wheel once they were in the collector buyer's hands.  

That might not be typical of all retailers of course but i think there's little doubt that a lot of locos (in particular) go to collectors rather than folk who are going to run them.

It has been stated that 80%+ of Hornby sales are to collectors so probably not much different.

John

Why do "collectors" collect working models that are made inaccurate in major details, in order to make them work for slightly less than 20%* of buyers? Surely displaying items in glass cabinets, with steam roller wheels a scale 7 inches too close together, big lumps of plastic on the ends to take unrealistic couplings, and that will never run, is a bit weird. If I collected models to put on display, I wouldn't be bothered about a motor and gears, especially if it blocked out daylight where the prototype had it, but would want correctly gauged scale wheels and accurate details at both ends, so it looked as much like the real thing as possible.

* With a small percentage of P4 and EM modellers who have to go to great lengths to alter them!

Why do "collectors" collect working models that are made inaccurate in major details, in order to make them work for slightly less than 20%* of buyers?

One answer I am sure is that people are collecting them solely as "models", and they aren't interested in the accuracy. There's nothing that says people have to have 100% accuracy to like them as models/toys - think pre-war tinplate or old Tri-ang.

Edited by DavidH