Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Good chat here, however I'm going a little off course now. I have just read the BRM Review of the Model.  About to read the RM one after this post.

I'd just like to add to  B.J's. penultimate paragraph ref the locations for this Class, at least in the 50s and just before they were withdrawn.

There was a Seaton Branch working by one loco either on its way to or from (or both) Axminster mid 50s ('55?). I've also got a photo of one as Station Pilot at Exeter Central ('58?). On Saturdays as mentioned the loco's swapped at Axminster after a double header working ( '58/'9'/60/'61/). This was the time of the LE from/to 72A, however there were occasions when the Radial was stuck on the front of a local at Seaton Junction. I can't remember seeing this at Central in 60/1/2 but I didn't often go on a Saturday (yes I know I was stupid).

I also read in Trains Illustrated for 1960 or 61 that one ran LE to London for some exhibition or another and I'm fairly sure a couple were used on specials towards the end of their careers. Then there was the trip to Eastleigh of course!

So they could have turned up in interesting places if anyone needs an excuse. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Good chat here, however I'm going a little off course now. I have just read the BRM Review of the Model.  About to read the RM one after this post.

I'd just like to add to  B.J's. penultimate paragraph ref the locations for this Class, at least in the 50s and just before they were withdrawn.

There was a Seaton Branch working by one loco either on its way to or from (or both) Axminster mid 50s ('55?). I've also got a photo of one as Station Pilot at Exeter Central ('58?). On Saturdays as mentioned the loco's swapped at Axminster after a double header working ( '58/'9'/60/'61/). This was the time of the LE from/to 72A, however there were occasions when the Radial was stuck on the front of a local at Seaton Junction. I can't remember seeing this at Central in 60/1/2 but I didn't often go on a Saturday (yes I know I was stupid).

I also read in Trains Illustrated for 1960 or 61 that one ran LE to London for some exhibition or another and I'm fairly sure a couple were used on specials towards the end of their careers. Then there was the trip to Eastleigh of course!

So they could have turned up in interesting places if anyone needs an excuse. 

Phil

30582 stopped at Staines Central with an REC rail tour formed of the Lyme Regis branch coaches - in a mix of crimson and green. It was a south western suburban tour around 1961. (CJL)

There are reviews of the Oxfordrail Adams Radial in the Railway Modeller and the Hornby Magazine. I browsed through both. I thought the review in the Modeller was a bit superficial so I bought the Hornby Magazine. The review is fairly detailed but it does not give a comparison of model and prototype dimensions and it does not give much information about the prototype. The toolboxes were not mounted properly but the Hornby Magazine was impressed with the model. Their sample ran well and could pull seven Mk1s around second radius curves. There is also a review in British Railway Modelling but I was unable to browse through the magazine as it had a cellophane cover. I am hoping that Model Rail will give a more thorough review with more information about the prototype and a comparison of the model and prototype dimensions. Hornby Magazine also had a picture of the Hornby Adams Radial. This looked better than the Oxfordrail version but still had mould lines on the boiler. I wonder if the Hornby version can pull seven Mk1 coaches round second radius curves. I noticed that this topic began with a reference to the Oxfordrail Adams Radial in October last year.

post-17621-0-71442500-1449772399_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

30582 stopped at Staines Central with an REC rail tour formed of the Lyme Regis branch coaches - in a mix of crimson and green. It was a south western suburban tour around 1961. (CJL)

30583 is currently stopped on my test track awaiting the next spare slot on the weathering table!

• Like 2

There are reviews of the Oxfordrail Adams Radial in the Railway Modeller and the Hornby Magazine. I browsed through both. I thought the review in the Modeller was a bit superficial so I bought the Hornby Magazine. The review is fairly detailed but it does not give a comparison of model and prototype dimensions and it does not give much information about the prototype. The toolboxes were not mounted properly but the Hornby Magazine was impressed with the model. Their sample ran well and could pull seven Mk1s around second radius curves. There is also a review in British Railway Modelling but I was unable to browse through the magazine as it had a cellophane cover. I am hoping that Model Rail will give a more thorough review with more information about the prototype and a comparison of the model and prototype dimensions. Hornby Magazine also had a picture of the Hornby Adams Radial. This looked better than the Oxfordrail version but still had mould lines on the boiler. I wonder if the Hornby version can pull seven Mk1 coaches round second radius curves. I noticed that this topic began with a reference to the Oxfordrail Adams Radial in October last year.

There is a review - by me - in the next issue of Model Rail, due out next week. One of the problems with providing dimensions is that I was unable to track down anything much more than the the overall length and the wheel diameters. Nothing in my own reference library or in the Steam Railway mag reference library and nothing I could find on the internet re height and width. I'm inclined not to be too obsessed by correct dimensions if the proportions look right. Many models have the length, width and height correct but still don't look right. (CJL)

• Like 2

There are a lot of dimensions of the Adams Radial in the drawing on page 152 of A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives by J. H. Russell but since they started making model locomotives in China all the dimensions seem to be correct anyway. Perhaps there is no longer any need to have a table of dimensions in reviews. I have always enjoyed reading your reviews, Chris, in the Model Railway Constructor and later in Model Rail. Although I like the style of the Railway Modeller I have found their reviews a bit superficial so I have bought the Constructor or Model Rail just to read the reviews when a model I am interested in comes out.

I don't know why I need to read the reviews because I ordered my LSWR Adams Radial a long time before any reviews come out but I look forward to reading your review.

Nothing in my own reference library or in the Steam Railway mag reference library and nothing I could find on the internet re height and width. I'm inclined not to be too obsessed by correct dimensions if the proportions look right. Many models have the length, width and height correct but still don't look right. (CJL)

Roche drawing, S/L/104, quotes height: to boiler centreline 7'0", over cab roof peak 11'10", chimney top 13' 2.75"; width: over platform and cylinders 8'6", over tanks 7'8".

Wheelbase of 7'+6'5"+8'6"+7'6".

Usual caveats about the Roche drawings, but quoted dimensions are typically correct. The facing page has the Drummond M7, about fifteen years later in design date and noticeably more compact, as an interesting comparison of design progress.

I have limited myself to painting handrails and smokebox handles black and still managed to allow a dribble of paint to obscure the shed plate!  .. ah well...

Still a lovely model. I have today bought the Rails weathered version too which I judge to be very good value at £109 or £91 to me outside the EU.

I doubt the mailman will get that me before Xmas but still look forward to it!

Here is the 'pristine' version with my ham-fisted black paint touches.

post-7929-0-33527700-1450054505_thumb.jpg

And here with a photo-edit-tool blurring of the line in the boiler.

post-7929-0-29648500-1450054895_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-15961800-1450054941_thumb.jpg

Lovely model, my eyes don't really pick up the  boiler plate thing unless looking at photos.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

There is a review - by me - in the next issue of Model Rail, due out next week. One of the problems with providing dimensions is that I was unable to track down anything much more than the the overall length and the wheel diameters. Nothing in my own reference library or in the Steam Railway mag reference library and nothing I could find on the internet re height and width. I'm inclined not to be too obsessed by correct dimensions if the proportions look right. Many models have the length, width and height correct but still don't look right. (CJL)

You wrote, "the front bufferbeam lacks any rivet detail". 

What rivet detail? I'm looking at 2 pictures of the actual loco in the book Southern Branch lines and even under magnification apart from the rivets to hold the buffers on I can't see any.

The rivets are visible on this photograph, and other photos show faint traces. I wonder if they were flush?

That's 30584, if you look on the web 488/30583 only has 5 rivets/bolts which are missing 2 are for the coupling holder and 3 attach the lower pipe to the bufferbeam.

If 30584 arrives without them then there's a problem. 

There is some daylight towards the front of where the gap should be under the boiler. I am contemplating if the motor mount can be reduced in size, even if it doesnt give much more daylight but if more of the boiler profile can be achieved.

Alternatively would it be possible to do away with the universal joint and fit the motor direct to the gearbox?

Yes, that's what I did.

A wonderful job correcting the design problems with the boiler. Now about those pizza cutter wheel flanges. A person could get hurt on them. 

Edited by autocoach