News from Warley 2014

Andy Y

I am not calling for local model shops to be closed. I regret their passing very much. When I am on holiday, I always try to find and visit the ones in the vicinity. I am not calling for all selling to be via the Internet. Like everyone else, I still want to see before I buy. I just happen to think that fewer local model shops and more buying over the internet is where we're going, and that is based on actual experience.

Back on topic, the Heljan Met Bo-Bo was good enough for me to order one, even though I feel that it weakens the small independent Radley Models by forcing their older kit out of production. I don't believe the MetroVic had many variations, apart from the rebuild of No 17 from a BTH loco (hence the similarity, which had the lifting eyes relocated and additional side windows. These changes were carried through to the other 19 locos which had all new body shells. That's why it has been modelled by Heljan, plenty of livery variants with very minimal structural changes. They should have got it to market in January 2013 in time for the 150th celebrations.

The RT Models Hurst Nelson Brake Van was new to me, I think it was added to the range earlier this year. I was impressed with it, and bought one.

Taunton Controls had their ZTC611 on display. Apart from the external paint job and branding changes, it looked just like the 505/511 model it replaces as all the changes are "under the hood". Even though it was announced some time ago, I think that counts as news given the change of ownership this Autumn.

I was talking to David Embling of the Hornby Railway Collectors Association (HRCA) who told me that prices had softened during 2014 on the more common Hornby 0 and HD OO models. He put this down to an ageing membership, Hornby O gauge being withdrawn in the 1950s, and HD ending in 1964 with its acquisition by Lines Bros/Triang, making most Hornby O gauge enthusiasts at least 70, and HD ones in their very late 50s or early/mid 60s. As a result collections are having to be being sold when their proud owners have to move out of the family home due to old age, or ill health, (what David called the "Dad can come and live with us, but he's not bringing his toys with him" syndrome), or their death as no one's worked out a way to take our models with us when we finally peg out.

Was there anything or a trader that folks expected to see, but were disappointed? Sometimes the absence of something or someone can be more significant than their presence.

• RMweb Gold

There was some one out the front of mine using an iPad.

Oh that was me!!

However I only use it when there are few people about and tend to stand back from the barrier.

It's much easier to edit and post on here than from the phone or camera.

I think the smart way of doing it now is to use an Eye-Fi card in the camera, which creates its own local network and downloads each jpeg to the tablet in your exhibition-mandatory backpack as you press the shutter. You can then edit from the tablet and send as appropriate. More and more cameras now have Wi-Fi, too.

• RMweb Gold

Surely by making their own models Kernow as well as Hattons are crossing the great divide . Cake and eat it comes to mind and then there will a thread on the forums What has happenend to all the small model shops ?. Answer Gone because their is limited product to sell. Commissioning special liveries is one thing but staring multiple manufacturing schemes is another especially as a number with a company yet to produce anything.  

But with Hatton's and Kernow, everybody knows exactly where they stand.

The recent problem with 'Exeter' (or, more to the point, the way Hornby dealt with it) demonstrates that it doesn't work that way in Margate.

IMHO Hornby intend to eventually become a 'direct/concessions only' operation to keep all profits in house (at full rrp, naturally) but

(1) Need the retailers to keep them going until they are ready to do so.

(2) Consider that said retailers are so desperate to sell their products that they will put up with any amount of abuse in the meantime.

As for the survival or otherwise of 'proper' Model Shops, I don't think it a coincidence that the West Country seems to retain a far higher number of them per capita than most other regions. The demographic of the hobby corresponds with the high incidence of retirees moving to our neck of the woods.  

John

• RMweb Gold

If a person is a railway modeller and computer savvy, why wouldn't they have come across RMweb I wonder....

You will be surprised as to how many people decide not to look at forums despite having the latest tech.

I know of quite a few modellers in that position but they just don't want to.

You will be surprised as to how many people decide not to look at forums despite having the latest tech.

I can go along with that seeing as few of my regulars visit RMweb nor indeed any of the model railway forums. I had in mind the young kids with trainsets or whatever who will no doubt have come across this and other forums even if they did not wish to become involved in them. One only has to Google for (model) railway information to find a link to RMweb.

• RMweb Gold

I sometimes think that if I had never come across RMWeb I could have completed my layout with the time I could have saved :jester:

Was there anything or a trader that folks expected to see, but were disappointed? Sometimes the absence of something or someone can be more significant than their presence.

I'll be ordering a Met BoBo, definitely one of the few new 4mm releases I'll be ordering.

Once again the usual Warley negativity got the better of me, when the general direness overtook any will to see exhibits that would normally tempt me to go.

I can only assume that the organisers get by through enough people turning up aanyway, in my own case my interests are US railroads and trams, yet a quick look on the website shows once again a list heavy on On30 with the former and only one of the latter, good modelling is good modelling at the end of the day but the lack of a large modern American roundy roundy when there are over 90 layouts there is an oversight.

And regarding the website, I'd expect something more like Stafford where there are photos of EVERY layout (although a look through that shows there isn't any US/Can stuff at all....).

Oh be fair, Larry has built one layout, just several times...

Cheeky............. Diggle, Greenfield and Delph Junction were separate entities on new baseboards with new track. The main thing is, RMweb has not eaten into my modeling time AND I still manage to run a business. I waste more time on the keyboard!  :smoke:

You're too late. It's already a reality in some parts of the UK, such as the South East and London. In NW London where I grew up, Harrow used to have 2 very good model shops, Seymour Models and Harrow Model Shop. Seymour Models went first, when their site was redeveloped. Harrow Model Shop went broke about 5 years ago, despite moving out of Harrow Town Centre to cheaper premises close to North Harrow station. If I still lived there, the Internet would probably be my only option if what I wanted wasn't in Hobbycraft, which is hardly a model shop. The only model shop that I know of in Central London is the LT Museum shop in Covent Garden, and that has a somewhat restricted offering

You could add 0.5 to that figure if you counted the little shack up by the railway where all sorts of secondhand and clearance odds-and-ends turned up. I used to travel up there from Hatfield with my Dad in the mid-60's (humming hits of the day on the way) every 3-4 months. Those trips broke my Tri-ang-only habit. My first Hornby-Dublo loco, Golden Fleece, cost me £2 10s from Harrow Model Shop, from their secondhand cabinet in 1965, but still with the little factory 'tested' tag. Another thing that became engrained at that time, for better or worse, was "get it while you still can".

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

I think the smart way of doing it now is to use an Eye-Fi card in the camera, which creates its own local network and downloads each jpeg to the tablet in your exhibition-mandatory backpack as you press the shutter. You can then edit from the tablet and send as appropriate. More and more cameras now have Wi-Fi, too.

I have a few of those cards but found that they tend to auto upload to the cloud and use up all my data!!

Maybe I have it set wrong though!!

I didnt take many due to the odd light effects in NEC.

I'm sure someone has suggested this already but I'd be really grateful if Andy / the Mods could distill the announcements / EP photos bits of this thread into something that can be viewed easily without any comments etc. please, now that we've all had chance to cheer, rant, express indifference, disappointment, disbelief and pleasure...........yes I've had my tuppenceworth too................ :D

• RMweb Gold

The problem with silent majorities is that you can't tell whether they are:

1. Content with things as they are.

2. Fatalistic about the way things are going,

3. Don't care enough about what's happening to say anything.

4. Just don't know what's happening.

John

Or 5

They have an Android tablet ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'd have preferred it if you'd converted him to DRS blue ;)

That's next year's task - DRS blue on a NR yellow train. The best of both worlds.................

Cheers,

Mick

but the lack of a large modern American roundy roundy when there are over 90 layouts there is an oversight.

Maybe that's because there aren't enough good large roundy roundy US layouts on the UK circuit?

There are very few modern (post-2010) UK roundy roundy layouts, but that doesn't stop me going to shows.

The solution is to build one..........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

THAT was green with small yellow panel

Oh yes, sorry.

Actually, what I think would be better than a rerelease of the 2EPB would be a new release of a 4EPB. You are welcome to disagree, however.

Hi All  Allowed to post again but must mind my Ps & Qs.  Pity about the Dapol Terrier in post 260, they seem to have muddled up Stepney with Brighton, I hope the other Terriers are not all going to look like this   Daren't say more or I will be banished forever.   Regards all  adrianbs

Oh yes, sorry.

Actually, what I think would be better than a rerelease of the 2EPB would be a new release of a 4EPB. You are welcome to disagree, however.

This has just been written by Dogmatix in the Kernow Class 205 thread:

"I was at Warley (for the first time) and I asked a gentleman at the Bachmann stand about centre cars for the Thumper and for 4EPBs, and he told me that when - not if - Kernow do order 3H units from them, they will use the moulding for 4EPB. He seemed quite certain the this will come. But not next year..."

• RMweb Gold

I sometimes think that if I had never come across RMWeb I could have completed my layout with the time I could have saved :jester:

Having said that Brian, I wouldn't have met you! so it isn't all that bad. Or is it.. ?

Kind regards,

Nick

Maybe that's because there aren't enough good large roundy roundy US layouts on the UK circuit?

There are very few modern (post-2010) UK roundy roundy layouts, but that doesn't stop me going to shows.

The solution is to build one..........

Cheers,

Mick

Oh but there are. And looking through photos of the American content, we're talking of a situation equivalent to going to a show and not seeing anything post the green diesel era or featuring mainline- style layouts at all (although I gather Warley have something good booked for next year).

The situation seems relevant to my own cornundrum with my next layout, do I build a shunting-plank sized layout that'll be used at home, or a garaged sized behemoth that'll only be used in anger at shows...? Judging by the rate that my current layout is picking up invites and a perceived lack of interest in US modelling, that won't be very often...

I think the Warley Show is the most important one around, but sadly I haven't been since 2004 because of:

1. The crowds which make it feel like a fight to get to see the manufacturers stands and layouts

2. The parking charges for the NEC

3. The fact there are too many excuses for me to spend lots of money

4. Err that's it....

However, I've enjoyed reading about this year's show on RM Web from the comfort of my modellers armchair, but in reality I would love to have gone. It's a shame the show can't be extended by another day, say a Friday or a Monday, but I guess the cost of doing so, plus taking up another day for traders to attend makes it a non-starter.

It's interesting to see the direction some manufacturers and retailers are taking. And in the case of Kernow and Hattons, I can't blame them for commissioning models because if it was left to the likes of a major Kent based manufacturer, there would be far less competition and innovation in 10 years time. At least those retailers are allowing customers to pre-order with a stronger chance of receiving those models than those who've ordered from their local model shop (who are trying to do their best for their customers) only to be let down at the last minute by the manufacturer (red and yellow box). This is what is known in the trade as the "Exeter Factor".

Archived