Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

• RMweb Premium

Not sure Ive seen a point modelled like this before. A mixture of flat bottom and bullhead rail.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossxpres/27412001393/

Hi Mike

At first I thought it was the old problem of the angle of the photo, where the near rail is flatbottom and the far one appears to be bullhead but is in fact the check rail hiding the flat bottom rail behind it . This does not seem to be like this.

I know in Ipswich loco yard there is a point that is flat bottom at the switch end and bullhead at the crossing V end.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I've seen Canadian Pacific SD40-2s in the mountains in eastern BC with engine compartment doors wide open in an attempt to keep the engines cool and running. I've also seen what look like 'unofficial' extra grilles on the engine compartments to get more air inside. It would be hard to model open engine room doors - you would have to have a representation of the engine inside the hood. Perhaps you could do it in a dummy.

Taking this a step further, how about a Class 28 or 17 with the engine on fire on a mid to late 1960s layout ?!

I've just thought of this - a bridge or a tunnel with armed guards. I'm pretty sure that in WW1 (and possibly WW2) such military guards were placed on occasion, to prevent sabotage. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lots of modern day passengers, all glued to smart phones ignoring their surroundings with either an expensive coffee in their spare hand or towing a wheeled case, running over people's feet. Oh and the ladies should have massive handbags flung over their shoulder or elbow.

I've just thought of this - a bridge or a tunnel with armed guards. I'm pretty sure that in WW1 (and possibly WW2) such military guards were placed on occasion, to prevent sabotage. 

This risks going OT, but your post above prompted it.

Seeing your post and your RMweb name reminded me of a picture in a book I have. It was taken by TG Hepburn, of a V2 leaving the south end of Nottingham Victoria on 26 August 1939, eight days before war was declared. Standing by the tracks is a gentleman in white (or at least very light) trousers, suit jacket or sports jacket and flat cap – with a rifle and fixed bayonet on his shoulder!

The caption (not written by Gordon Hepburn) describes this person as “a member of the Local Defence Volunteers standing on guard”, but as far as I can see the LDV were not formed until May 1940. I presume he was actually Territorial Army, not yet issued with uniform.

Edited by pH

During various strikes, such as in 1911, troops were allocated to guard critical signal boxes and other locations.

attachicon.gifclapham 1911 strike.jpg

Photo from TUC History on Line website

I didn't realise that Afro hairstyles were popular in 1911, and am even more surprised that soldiers were allowed to have them, and not forced to have short back and sides :jester:.

http://www.menshairblog.com/sitiotres/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/afro-hairstyle-black-men-haircuts-kinky-curly-hair-mane.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It also shows the lack of irons back in those days, if those guardsmen were on duty today they'd be on a charge for the amount of creases in their crumpled jackets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It also shows the lack of irons back in those days, if those guardsmen were on duty today they'd be on a charge for the amount of creases in their crumpled jackets.

From memory they are not guardsman but members of the Royal Fusiliers, it is quite a well know photo. Very odd combination of 1907 service dress with bearskin. The 1907 service dress was what today we would call combat uniform. A version of it is still worn today as Number 2 uniform.

It just shows how important the railways were if troops were called out.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Pole mounted electricity transformers

Double glazing/garage door vans

A carriage on a road low-loader

A rugby ground/ council owned sports fields

The Fell...

Just read through that thread - I have also done a pole mounted transformer in the past. Not for private use but for the station and point heating supply railway companies used single phase transformers mounted direct on an overhead line pole. See here the example of St. Georg/San Giorgio, my old Austro-Italian layout. Picture taken in 2006. The transformer is installed on the pole of the switchgear  

29091085322_cec2e211c7_z.jpgc18

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Pole mounted electricity transformers

Double glazing/garage door vans

A carriage on a road low-loader

A rugby ground/ council owned sports fields

The Fell...

The glazing vans and the carriage on a road low loader have often been done by road vehicle modelers.

• RMweb Premium

During various strikes, such as in 1911, troops were allocated to guard critical signal boxes and other locations.

attachicon.gifclapham 1911 strike.jpg

Photo from TUC History on Line website

I wonder if they were given special instructions about not getting their bayonets too near to the LBSC High voltage AC overhead.   We were banned from using our extendable aluminium batons on Leeds station when that was electrified.

However modelling the incident if a bayonet did get too near would be good.

Jamie

A quote from my late grandfather's memoirs which may inspire...

Once a fortnight on Saturday nights we were sent to guard Honiton railway tunnel.  It is nearly one mile long and the line sloped downhill to Exeter.  We were bussed out to the steep embankment at the Honiton end of the tunnel, in the woods at the top of the embankment were two bell tents for sleeping.  The sergeant allocated times of duty – 2 hours on guard, 4 hours off.

Lucky me, always seemed to cop the 2am to 4am guard – neither one thing or the other.  Never the best guard which was 10pm to midnight, they had the rest of the night to sleep.  Poor old sarg was up and down the embankment all night changing the guard.  Two of us, - one either side of the entrance – and on the parapet on top of the tunnel a Browning machine gun with a crew of three.  Heavy goods trains would chug up from Exeter throughout the night belching black smoke, and hissing steam from side cylinders.  After the train had chugged through, the smoke in the tunnel drifted up to those on the parapet who coughed for about 20 minutes after it had gone! And came off duty looking like kippers.  If we heard or saw anything suspicious we were to thrust the rifle and bayonet forward in a menacing fashion and shout “halt who goes there? friend or foe? – oh yeah – and get a paratroopers bullet in the head while waiting for an answer.  I would have thought it best to shoot him and ask after.  He shouldn’t be on the line at 2 o’clock in the morning, besides I looked about as menacing as a court jester with a balloon on a stick!

Regrettably he didn't fully document the occasion where a noise coming from the tunnel when asked "friend or foe" answered "moooo" and they spent the rest of the evening trying to get an escaped cow back up the embankment and into a field.

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a chance here that this has not been mentioned as I've not checked through the whole thread but I don't recall ever seeing a loco on a running in turn in fully lined out gray primer like you see in the works photos of a new loco or first of a new class of loco

• Like 1

Taking a chance here that this has not been mentioned as I've not checked through the whole thread but I don't recall ever seeing a loco on a running in turn in fully lined out gray primer like you see in the works photos of a new loco or first of a new class of loco

http://www.class50.com/c50_liveries.php?s_liv=44&type=2

Not quite lined out or a new loco but im fairly sure it worked south on a service train, be an interesting one to see at an exhibition

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

http://www.class50.com/c50_liveries.php?s_liv=44&type=2

Not quite lined out or a new loco but im fairly sure it worked south on a service train, be an interesting one to see at an exhibition

Before EWS was finalised as a livery, there were a few plain white locos running around.

As for works grey, Bachmann have done Tornado and the C class in grey.

I've seen a layout with a test run of a Hymek in red oxide, but can't remember it's name.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. Optare and Wrights use integral chassis which they don't sell to other body builders. The last chassis I saw being moved as described were Javelin coach chassis back in the 2000s

Do Wright exclusively use their own chassis now?

Historically they certainly haven't, with most Wright buses in the UK being on a Volvo chassis so far as I know (Wright Eclipse family).

I see from Wikipedia that they do now manufacture their own chassis and have new models using it, but have they stopped manufacturing older models or moved all their models to their own chassis now?

(Edited because original version was a bit unclear)

Edited by Coryton