Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I've not seen that modeled before

That was the guy who bought his Penzance to Edinburgh tickets online.  He split the journey into connecting sections to get the cheapest journey.  He had 26 tickets and 13 seat reservations for the journey, stepped onto the platform at Penzance and the wind got him playing '39 card pickup'.

Isn't there one of H M Bateman's "the man who..." Cartoons on a similar theme?

Re cut-off railings, there were certainly a few specimens to be seen around the Bagdale/Baxtergate area in Whitby, last time I was there

• RMweb Gold

If you like painting figures.

You'd only have to paint the ones on the outside plus some heads.

And leftover from the figures in the middle, if you can think of what to do with a few dozen pairs of legs ... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if he's still doing it, but there is / was one modeller based in Belfast who portrayed the mean streets during The Troubles, patrolled by armoured Land Rovers, etc. I think he modelled a riot once.

I haven't yet seen a mosque or replica Hindu temple on a layout. Yet.

He's still doing it, he shows his models on Facebook from time to time. After all military modellers sometimes model some very drastic battle scenes. I have seen a mosque modelled but on a layout set in the Middle East.

• 1 month later...

BTP on platforms, complete with obligatory K-9s marshalling rowdy hooligans?

Or, in smaller space perhaps, platform LINED by BTP and said rowdy hooligans falling immediately silent as train arrives and trooping almost in step with each other without so much as a peep!

(Inspired by real events, on an evening departure a few years ago on a 91+ Mk4s working KGX-LDS, called at PBO and collected a multitude of Huddersfield Town supporters. Despite being a dry train many tins were brought onboard despite platform staff protests, alas no BTP there to assist. Anyway, a little while later leaving Doncaster, the group which had centred in catering coach, including two old boys trying to look 'ard got a bit rowdy, so the guard politely asked them to return to their seats, as they were on until Westgate (next stop, change for short trip to Wakey Kirkgate and trains to Hudds) one of said 'old lads' starts mouthing off to the guard, on about them being 'last true fans, death supporters, mad hard crew/ firm etc.' And how he isn't listening to some upstart guard on a train, usual p'd up Northern BS, so he then threatens to do the guard, at which point me, in Leeds United beanie hat (should've checked fixtures before travelling!) and two other Town fans waded in and extricated the guard from the coach before a lynching delayed us, the guard all calm in the vestibule end says 'cheers lads' calmly opens the comms box and rings 9 bells (now it may have been 3+3 bit hazy here as I was in self preservation mode due to headwear and I didn't hear any convo over the 'celebrations' in the catering coach)

Nonetheless, an extremely loud train pulls into Wakefield Westgate, where, in utterly amazing turnout, is the entire (hyperbole) BTP contingent lining the entire platform! So slowly coming into the station the ruckus dies down to silence with some whispers. The guard undoes the door next to us (me on the bench outside the lav and my new two bezzies from the Town mob wedged in beside me talking about next Yorkshire Derby) and two mountain men crammed into PC uniforms pop their blue shiny helmeted heads in. Convo=

-You ok, fella?

-Yep, I'm fine, you want me to point them out to you?

-Yes, please

On they come, guard leading them both past us (second glance at my now slowly smouldering hat!) into the coach proper. Guard says, top of his voice for dramatic effect ' those two gents there' Officers brush past him, con flab with the old boys, and lift them both in stunned silence.

Once on the platform they cuff them and frogmarch them off to the exit. The guard, now 7'9" tall unlocks the doors and off get a bunch of stunned, silent Hudds Town fans, without so much as a whisper.

And then, this short blonde PC pokes her head in to check they're all off and, seeing my hat now on fire, says "ooh, bad day to be wearing that don't you think! Count yourself lucky matey!" Doors shut and we glide off to Leeds, cheeks burning, hat in bag!!!

• Like 6

My wife said she saw Railway Police today with a speed gun checking that the trains were within the speed limit. Never seen that modelled.

Be interested to know if that actually ever happens or whether they were doing something else.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't yet seen a mosque or replica Hindu temple on a layout. Yet.

You might have done and not known it, this http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/former_broads_pub_poised_to_become_religious_temple_1_4146956 is just off the Norwich To Gt Yarmouth line.

Be interested to know if that actually ever happens or whether they were doing something else.

i do know the moms on the manchester area were occasionally sent out with a speed gun to check compliance especially over tsrs also have seen traction inspectors doing similar 

i do know the moms on the manchester area were occasionally sent out with a speed gun to check compliance especially over tsrs also have seen traction inspectors doing similar

The traction inspectors still do it.

Many years ago doing my front end turns before going to the training school I was on a 158 from Leeds to Hull with one of the Leeds drivers. In the distance we saw a bloke in an orange vest, the driver blew the horn, no acknowledgement, blew his horn again no acknowledgment. And again. As we got closer we could see the guy was holding a speed gun, the driver recognised him as a traction inspector from Hull.

Two days later the driver saw me in the messroom at Leeds and asked me if I would put in a report to say I had witnessed the driver blowing the horn. Turned. Out the traction inspector had reported him for not blowing the horn.

The upshot of it was the traction inspector was sent for a medical, during which he failed the hearing test.

A few months later I was out with my driver instructor and we were running express from Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly. At one of the intermediate stations there were two blokes in white shirts standing very close to the end of the platform with their backs to us. I blew the horn a couple of times. Nothing the didn't move. Stuck the brake in and as we got closer the pair of Muppets turned round and held up a speed gun. Me and my instructor both reported them for not having on Hi Vis, not acknowledging the horn and being too close to the edge of the platform think they were railtrack guys.

And I will leave you with a tale of a much hated guards inspector from Leeds. He went out one day in his own clothes to spy on guards at a certain station to see if they were doing their door duties correctly. This inspector was spotted hiding in the bushes by one of the guards, who phoned the police and reported a pervert hiding in the bushes perving on school girls. The guards inspector was arrested while pleading his innocence.

• Like 11

Here's an idea. Why has no one done a loch (or lake or llyn) with a monster lurking in it? That would be a funny cameo.

I guess N American outline could have a sasquatch lurking in the trees somewhere.

I once had a small wood with a Frankenstein monster lurking within. Just waiting for the right place to put my Jabberwock.

• Like 2

As darrel said, it does happen, although with OTMR and the fact that a lot of the modern units have 'cruise control', the practice has become quite rare.

I did talk to a Heathrow Express Driver who said that the Office of Rail Regulation, as it was then, did an inspection of drivers and asked the drivers where do the inspectors stand to carry out speed checks, HEx then got in trouble as all the drivers knew exactly the spots where the inspectors stood, therefore potentionally 'cheating' the system.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

My wife said she saw Railway Police today with a speed gun checking that the trains were within the speed limit. Never seen that modelled.

The railway police have never done speed checks it was the traction inspectors that did it. I'm not sure if many companies still do checks, but since it's now mandatory for traction units to have OTMR data recorders these are now downloaded to check for speeding

And I will leave you with a tale of a much hated guards inspector from Leeds. He went out one day in his own clothes to spy on guards at a certain station to see if they were doing their door duties correctly. This inspector was spotted hiding in the bushes by one of the guards, who phoned the police and reported a pervert hiding in the bushes perving on school girls. The guards inspector was arrested while pleading his innocence.

The same thing happened to one of our 'less popular' guards managers (now retired) some years ago :jester:

• Like 1

Here's an idea. Why has no one done a loch (or lake or llyn) with a monster lurking in it? That would be a funny cameo.

I guess N American outline could have a sasquatch lurking in the trees somewhere.

Big N gauge layout set in Scotland has this, can't remember it's name, been in the magazines

Does anyone run their Cl.66 with cab doors open? I understand the prototype has a tendency to get warm in the cab and often see Freightliner flavoured ones on the GEML with one or more doors ajar.

86's too when they were on pax, although I believe that was more to keep the traction equipment cool.

I've personally taken the return spring off the door of my Hornby 09 to allow rapid in/egress of the tiny train crew.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

86's too when they were on pax, although I believe that was more to keep the traction equipment cool.

I've seen Canadian Pacific SD40-2s in the mountains in eastern BC with engine compartment doors wide open in an attempt to keep the engines cool and running. I've also seen what look like 'unofficial' extra grilles on the engine compartments to get more air inside. It would be hard to model open engine room doors - you would have to have a representation of the engine inside the hood. Perhaps you could do it in a dummy.

• 3 weeks later...