• RMweb Gold

Mein Gott!! Herr Duckstein.

A fine image of Untersturmführer Fritz von Lakerknacker mit Sturmbannfurher Heinrich von Phister at the Berlin Ladies male voice choir competition 1944. Uproar ensued when the competition was won by a group of Polish partisans led by Lt Col. Rollie Fitzpatrick of the S.O.E who was exceptional in the solo category following a rousing rendition of Marlene Dietrich's memorable tearjerker "Ich bin von Kopf bis Fur Auf Liebe eingestellt"

Such was his performance that Hermann Goering was moved to tears and had to comforted by his Aide De Camp, Leutnant Trixie von Pimmelwurst.

Here we see Rollie toasting his success after the show.

post-14122-0-72053900-1454757769.jpg

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

I have had a go with the DAS clay. I knocked up a bit of a test piece before inflicting my efforts on the layout. Its not a technique I have used before hence the test.

I will post some pictures in a bit. I found keeping the DAS away from the rail sides and chairs very tricky and also need to look at the ballast used. Not rushing into this as it's vital I am happy with this before moving on.

All good stuff with lots of learning.I have a couple of ideas which I hope to try out later today subject to the Memsahib finding me things to do.

Working in a factory in a previous life taught me the art of evasion though I don't think carrying a broom around all day will cut it.

Rob (S.O.E retd.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few views of the test piece using some fine granite ballast. I wanted a lightweight look to the track work.

All takes time.

Rob.

post-14122-0-87620500-1454861654_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-70492200-1454861669_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-03771400-1454861690_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I think it looks really neat, but the stones are too big.

Compare how many stones you would fit under your own shoe to how many of the model ballast stones you can fit under a model person's shoe.

• RMweb Gold

I bet it looks better to the eye than through the cruel macro lens of a digital camera.

It's really neat work, Rob, and you should be pleased, although Stu and Neil are right, in that 'N' scale ballast is really what you want. I also employ a tip from Chris Nevard, and mix a bit of fine beach sand in as well.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all.

The N ballast I had in stock so to speak seemed to have silicone/silica (?) particles in which caught the light. This was a pack of jarvis granite which I have had for years.

The Captain is right, it does look better to the eye. However it was always a test piece and very useful it is proving to be. I will source some N gauge ballast next week.

For scale we see Albert Von Klipp having a flash back to his time in Bavaria in 1938.

Rob.

post-14122-0-36172800-1454868861.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

While we are on the subject of stones, I have just noticed that we have passed 500 posts.

Here's to the next 500.

Thank you for looking in and commenting.

Regards

Rob.

post-14122-0-43832600-1454870008.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Merci bien, Monsieur Canard.

Je suis tres grateful pour vous dropping in.

Mange tout,

Robspiere.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Alright if you happen to be near a fine beach - we've not got many round our way ;)

I have to say that I was given mine by a very kind friend, it came from the Solent area. It's amazing how far a small sandwich tub of the stuff will go, when you're ballasting a layout (especially when mixed in with 'N' gauge ballast at a ratio of about 3 parts 'N' gauge to 1 part sand.

Certainly true of the former L&NWR route to Swansea Victoria.

Following Mr. Nevard's advice, I tried using Swansea Bay sand in a siding on my last (aborted) layout. To me, it just looked like overscale beach sand! 

I have been thinking of getting some of this to try...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-MODEL-SAND-BASING-FLOCK-SCATTER-200-700g-RESEALABLE-BAGS-FREE-UK-P-P-/391121118562?var=660477736326&hash=item5b10a2a562:m:mbAf3iYTj4LeqVBD9Qj8r7Q

...on my next attempt, which I hope Rob won't mind, will be based on the same location as his Western Diversion, so will no doubt bear no little similarity to his! (I have the same Ikea shelf hanging around, the same Peco points & track, and no imagination...!!)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

From the same BBC feed, someone at NR thinks it's a "live line". Has GW electrification been extended when no one was watching?

"All trains in and out of Cornwall cancelled
Posted at 10:59
Network Rail says all trains in and out of Cornwall have been cancelled for the foreseeable future as engineers try to remove a tree which was hit by a train on the main line near Bodmin.
She says the train has been damaged and a team of engineers is on its way to the incident near Bodmin Parkway.
When asked about passengers on the damaged train, she said it was "impossible" to say how long passengers will be on the train for, adding "we can't have people wandering about on a live line".

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the same BBC feed, someone at NR thinks it's a "live line". Has GW electrification been extended when no one was watching?

"All trains in and out of Cornwall cancelled

Posted at 10:59

Network Rail says all trains in and out of Cornwall have been cancelled for the foreseeable future as engineers try to remove a tree which was hit by a train on the main line near Bodmin.

She says the train has been damaged and a team of engineers is on its way to the incident near Bodmin Parkway.

When asked about passengers on the damaged train, she said it was "impossible" to say how long passengers will be on the train for, adding "we can't have people wandering about on a live line".

Quite right. The Down line was technically open once the tree was cleared, hence the use of the term 'live line'. Totally normal use of language.

Haverfordwest.

• RMweb Premium

12:25

BBChttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-35507384

Firefighters in Cornwall are evacuating the Penzance to Glasgow Cross Country train which has been damaged by a fallen tree.

Passengers have been stuck on the train since Storm Imogen brought the tree down across both tracks about a mile from Bodmin Parkway station.

84737c1b-6b05-4006-bd1b-4eb8b1cc9bfa.jpg
BBC

Network Rail's engineers have removed the tree and are now moving passengers to a coach instead.

I wonder if the lavs are working? If not I do hope the coachstitution has a supply of buckets or 'special appliances' for gentlemen and ladies.

Q

P