• RMweb Gold

Thanks,Mark but I will avoid Chincilla dust. They are very expensive in Wales and I do not have the required grinder.

• RMweb Premium

N/2mm 'scale' ballast is fine matey. The only thing I have found to be better was some really fine anti (highway) skid surfacing material that I 'acquired' from a Higways Depot I worked in back in history (about 1998?). I don't think that grade is available these days but you could enquire as it is, of course, meant to be laid with adhesive!.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So it is CK's layout that is mentioned in BRM March 2016 then (bit of a S  & D JR theme mag this Volume)? I had not twigged that; it looks bl**dy superbio.

Ducky.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I had received previous intelligence that the layout had featured, but the March edition hasn't reached the far flung reaches of the Noble Realm of Swagonia yet. There's been some kerfuffle on the border with the Midlands because our Border Guards are on strike for a higher quality of sausage in their pay packets (the cheeky blighters even want a small pork pie ever second month!), and such publications are probably currently quarantined in a secure facility near Redditch.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for reminding me of this. I had received previous intelligence that the layout had featured, but the March edition hasn't reached the far flung reaches of the Noble Realm of Swagonia yet. There's been some kerfuffle on the border with the Midlands because our Border Guards are on strike for a higher quality of sausage in their pay packets (the cheeky blighters even want a small pork pie ever second month!), and such publications are probably currently quarantined in a secure facility near Redditch.

Ah, but the piccie is of 'Engine Wood' ;)

And of course the whole series on the S&DJtR starts with an article by DJLB (the Cap'n knows who I mean) on Barth Green Park.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

[David Attenborough hushed voice]

...and here, hidden amongst the detritus of years of accumulated parts of SR Comet coach sides and bogies, hunched up in a foetal ball, is the last surviving Hungry Caterpillar.. Curled up inside, almost completely obscured, is the last known example of the rare Honiton Junction shed. Both of these were abandoned many years ago, when the bright lights of a many initialled interloper became that week's favourite.

[hushed voice off]

• RMweb Premium

[David Attenborough hushed voice]

...and here, hidden amongst the detritus of years of accumulated parts of SR Comet coach sides and bogies, hunched up in a foetal ball, is the last surviving Hungry Caterpillar.. Curled up inside, almost completely obscured, is the last known example of the rare Honiton Junction shed. Both of these were abandoned many years ago, when the bright lights of a many initialled interloper became that week's favourite.

[hushed voice off]

Ooohh you are a card Stu. Siton Juncshop lives as does the pretty little caterpillar (wot was admired by SWMBO just yesterday and should feature centre stage in a couple of weeks time).

B. Grylls 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This layout is coming on nicely Rob.  :D

There's a lovely generic feel to it already which plenty of regional operating sessions to be had ;)

Some great operating potential and a chance to get some good scenics in too.

Look forwards to seeing the ballast going down.  Might be worth experimenting with some Chinchilla dust as well for a finer ballasted look in the sidings.  

Also the Chris Nevard DAS modelling clay between the sleepers may also be worth experimenting with in the sidings as well.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you again, Mark.

As I have mentioned before, I have been very much inspired by Juniper Hill and revisited the thread and also the article in BRM. I am looking to vary the rolling stock between S&D, L&SW and Western Region so need a fairly generic shunty thing wotsit.

I will plod along. I now have three days of 14hr shifts so not much going to happen but hope to progress over the coming weekend.

Ducky, I would recommend Evercreech Junc. Much nicer than Templecombe but the reversing etc would be fun.

Finally, my thanks to all who have added likes etc. The encouragement from such a simple prod of the finger should not be underestimated.

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm 14hrs shift turned into a 16hrs shift so trifle jaded at the mo.

On a positive I did manage to pick up some DAS modelling clay. I fancy a dabble with Chris Nevards technique as outlined by Mark above.

Will have to wait as back in work for 8am......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of time spent do a spot of research last night( this morning?!!) when I finished my shift. Great way to wind down after another 16hr shift.

Found this lovely image of S&DJR 3F at Evercreech. A nice project from a Bachmann 3F. I am not looking for a faithful copy, more of a 'it looks the part'. Therefore I am not getting hung up on tenders etc. Life's too short.

Rob

post-14122-0-04512000-1454656685.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You're very kind, chaps, thanks.

I actually had a very nice day out today, on the Withered Arm, most kindly invited on an inspection run by those kind chaps on the Dartmoor Railway.

Here's a relatively indifferent photo of the approach to North Tawton station from the cab of a 'Crompton', taken with the permission of the driver:

post-57-0-27833000-1454707976.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Bleakhouse Road earlier, I've found this image of 53804 making a rare visit, but can you spot the rubber duck that has somehow managed to get into the image?

attachicon.gifIMG_1973.JPG

I'm waiting for the chance for that to thunder through SOSJ with the Cleethorpes/Sidmouth/Exmouth (due to failure of SR loco at Templecombe and absolutely nothing else being available as it is a summer Saturday). It never happened....go on, prove it ye naysayers.  :beee:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I actually had a very nice day out today, on the Withered Arm, most kindly invited on an inspection run by those kind chaps on the Dartmoor Railway.

Here's a relatively indifferent photo of the approach to North Tawton station from the cab of a 'Crompton', taken with the permission of the driver:

attachicon.gifIMG_8049.JPG

Come on CK, spill the beans. It was a 'special feasibility run' to assess the 'alternative routing' of the WOE main line. I can see the reflection of the paperwork in the Crompton's windscreen (I didn't work at GCHQ for nowt thee knaws).

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_8049.JPG

Takes me back to a run I was lucky enough to have from Meldon Quarry to Riverside Yard back in May 1992. Somewhere near Okehampton there was a wagon that had been left near the Up side of the line after a derailment and it was too difficult/expensive to go back and recover it - is it still there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Come on CK, spill the beans. It was a 'special feasibility run' to assess the 'alternative routing' of the WOE main line. I can see the reflection of the paperwork in the Crompton's windscreen (I didn't work at GCHQ for nowt thee knaws).

Phil 

Oddly enough, we were just saying in the cab that all you need is for a couple of officious-looking gentlemen in full orange and clipboards to strut around the place, looking as if they were in charge, to get tongues wagging.

Exactly what I used to do when visiting the actual areas where my fictitious layouts are supposed to be set.

Takes me back to a run I was lucky enough to have from Meldon Quarry to Riverside Yard back in May 1992. Somewhere near Okehampton there was a wagon that had been left near the Up side of the line after a derailment and it was too difficult/expensive to go back and recover it - is it still there?

No old, derailed wagons spotted, just a very overgrown pair of concrete huts at Coleford Junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough, we were just saying in the cab that all you need is for a couple of officious-looking gentlemen in full orange and clipboards to strut around the place, looking as if they were in charge, to get tongues wagging.

Exactly what I used to do when visiting the actual areas where my fictitious layouts are supposed to be set.

Not like this I hope dear boy....

post-2326-0-33490400-1454752571.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha, used to do that as well. A hi-vis vest and a white hard hat on the parcel shelf of my car gave me unlimited free parking anywhere on BR property at any time.

Why was it called a parcel shelf by the way? I never heard of anyone putting a parcel there in my life (although Peco once put an oval of track there to publicise their new Streamline range).

• Like 2