RMweb

Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I originally wanted the preserved example as running in the 1980s because I saw it in steam. Then they cancelled that version and I lost interest.

Then I thought sod it, I may as well get one as if I did want one in future then I could be paying stupid prices for one. There aren't any decent kits available as far as I know, so it was either get one or miss out. FOMO as they now call it, Fear Of Missing Out.

So yes, I think it's now or never. Or at least quite a while before it's repeated.

Jason

I have a Millholme Models kit sitting on a shelf...…… and a D & S dynamometer car....

...The announcement by Locomotion that they are looking at possibly producing RTR stock suitable for the Single (and by default, their superb GN Atlantic) ...

...and the GNR and LNER pacifics, and all the other locos on the GN section and beyond, until near the end of steam if they make a good selection from the six wheelers. The vans in particular were seen in express trains up to the mid thirties, and the six wheelers were in general use on the LNER's secondary services, many of them finishing up as departmental vehicles by the time of nationalisation, then displaced as BR began the cull of the Gresley bogie coaches in the late fifties..

So, will there be further runs or is this likely to be it? Obviously collectors do not want there to be but how about others?

Is this the way RTR works now - order now or never?

Moving in that direction, but Locomotion have indicated that it is worth putting your name down for one. Suggests they have an excess of supply over orders, and are probably rightly expecting some orders against deposit will not be taken up.

I certainly hope there is a chance of another production run. If the deal with Rapido is as with previous forays with Bachmann, Rapido may have the option of producing a run on their own account at some future time too. (The previous NRM Locomotion production, the GNR atlantic model is now listed in Bach's catalogue, though yet to go on sale.)

• RMweb Premium

There was a re-run of the Lanky 2-4-2 Tank - albeit in a slightly different livery.  So a re-run would not be beyond the realms of possibility if the demand is there.  Locomotion would need to be convinced of that demand however - and the a re-run would probably be at a higher price.  Were alternative liveries applied to No. 1? 

There was a re-run of the Lanky 2-4-2 Tank - albeit in a slightly different livery.  So a re-run would not be beyond the realms of possibility if the demand is there.  Locomotion would need to be convinced of that demand however - and the a re-run would probably be at a higher price.  Were alternative liveries applied to No. 1? 

The problem is the L&YR 2-4-2T was a variant of a standard model.

This seems like a one off like the APT was. Maybe our transatlantic modelling friends will confirm, but I don't think that Rapido do reissues. When they are gone then that's probably it.

Jason

Moving in that direction, but Locomotion have indicated that it is worth putting your name down for one. Suggests they have an excess of supply over orders, and are probably rightly expecting some orders against deposit will not be taken up.

I certainly hope there is a chance of another production run. If the deal with Rapido is as with previous forays with Bachmann, Rapido may have the option of producing a run on their own account at some future time too. (The previous NRM Locomotion production, the GNR atlantic model is now listed in Bach's catalogue, though yet to go on sale.)

Presumably it will depend on the contract/agreement between the sponsor and the manufacturer, e.g. who actually owns the tooling and possible re-run options etc.

(The previous NRM Locomotion production, the GNR atlantic model is now listed in Bach's catalogue, though yet to go on sale.)

That is a most welcome piece of information! Having read Ossie Nock's book on the GNR Atlantics, it would be nice to see models of some of the rank and file of this class of  locos.

Richard.

So, will there be further runs or is this likely to be it? Obviously collectors do not want there to be but how about others?

Is this the way RTR works now - order now or never?

It IS Rapido's business model, they have always been upfront about this. It's how they can produce super-high-quality models. Other companies work differently.

Depending on the contract, a re-run might be possible, but they would need to be confident of selling the minimum run which could be well over 1000. How long until there are enough people who missed out the first time, haven't bought off eBay etc. to justify that? This isn't a bread-and-butter model for the mass market. And why shouldn't the collectors be kept happy? Ultimately, they are the ones buying enough units to make the model viable. 

I believe a few more were made than ordered though, so the chances are there will be some for sale. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After reading the posts above, I was just idly thinking (not quite mulling). Hornby has marketed the GN pacific a couple of times with the GN tender. Would it be much work to back date the loco body to bring 1470 Great Northern out in GNR livery?

• Like 2

After reading the posts above, I was just idly thinking (not quite mulling). Hornby has marketed the GN pacific a couple of times with the GN tender. Would it be much work to back date the loco body to bring 1470 Great Northern out in GNR livery?

I think they've already done it. 

My mistake, it was in early LNER livery.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/10699/Hornby_R2405_Class_A1_4_6_2_1470_Great_Northern_in_LNER_Green/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

On the livery, a lot of it would be the same, but there would be one *extra* colour on the tender (and of course slightly different colours) and lining under the running plate. With all the GN and pre-grouping interest, maybe it’s a thought.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

Guest spet0114

If re-runs are out of the question, it would make sense to sell the tooling for scrap rather than waste money storing it. Has this happened?

• RMweb Gold

If re-runs are out of the question, it would make sense to sell the tooling for scrap rather than waste money storing it. Has this happened?

Why sell it for scrap ? you'd be talking just a few $ and not worth the time taken to authorise.

What if in the future the NRM decided it wanted a 2nd run when all the non believers realised the GN is the one true faith.

• Like 2

123 years ago there was that famous race between railway companies from London to Aberdeen ... 60+mph averages, August 23 1895.. 

co-incidentally the number 123 is that of the Caledonian Single which would make a lovely companion to the Stirling Single, if made to that standard...

here by dint of editing is an idea of just such a model...

will remove if required    but it was fun to do.

post-7929-0-93035300-1532202657_thumb.jpg

Any manufacturers out there with capital to spare?  My Hornby version is just not quite 'there'...  :)

• Like 7

I believe the Caley 123 in re Glasgow Museum is in its post 1924 condition, when it was re-boilered by the LMS. The tender may also not be the original.when built. If so, reflecting that modern RTR models tend to be designed by scanning the prototype where possible, would a model based on the preserved 123 be acceptable to the connoisseurs?

I believe the Caley 123 in re Glasgow Museum is in its post 1924 condition, when it was re-boilered by the LMS. The tender may also not be the original.when built. If so, reflecting that modern RTR models tend to be designed by scanning the prototype where possible, would a model based on the preserved 123 be acceptable to the connoisseurs?

Take my money, and a bit extra if to next look at either the Jones Good, Glen or Gordon Highlander ;)

The latter two, I'll take both pre-grouping and BR liveries please.....

It would to me if it was done in LMS livery.