Best rolling road

Leaving aside cost configurations , what do you think is the best rolling road on the market

we ( the club) would like it to be self contained , capable of multiple gauges , solidify constructed and ridig

I personally have the dcc concepts one which has certain flaws

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Junctionmad

I have the Bacrus (sic) ones but only good for the 4mm gauges. They can be adjusted for WB and sit on any track or aluminium angle or strip.

I like the ones with 3 steel rods etc. but I think is will be hard to get 2,4 & 7mm in one unit. They're german but sold by Ten Commandments.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have the Bacrus version 4mm/7mm, very well made but I find the body of the saddles can sit on the inner chairs of the track and fail to get electrical contact, I made a pair of rails out of aluminium angle to sit on which works really well.

• RMweb Premium

The Bachrus business has now closed which presumably accounts for so many former suppliers now being out of stock.  Mybe a good investment now - they'll probably be twice the price on ebay next year!

DT

Edited by Torper

• RMweb Premium

I personally have the dcc concepts one which has certain flaws

Such as?

So far I've had three - A DIY one from Ngauge Brass, a set from Direct Train Spares and DCCconcepts.

A mate has another of a name I can't recall (aluminium angles and rollers that didn't roll)

The DCCconcepts one is the best so far.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

16.5mm only (i.e. not adjustable, other gauges were offered) but engineered to last forever and with free-running ball-race rollers, mine was made by a firm in the Netherlands called (I think) DeLocloods.

Got it from ZTC donkeys years ago and it cost a bomb even back then. If they are still around I'd expect the price to be north of £200 by now. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The problem I found with the DCCCondepts one is that if you need to keep changing the blue plastic center section for different scales the threads in the plastic bit does fail quite quickly, the second issue is the tiny screws they use, if you change sizes for different gauges you will eventually loose a screw to the carpet monster and no spare are supplied or available from DCCConcepts. I also found that sometimes electrical contact is not always what it should be, but I am in n-gauge and that might just be down to the locos being a bit on the light side.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry it’s rollingrails.co.uk

Feedback from the scalefour forum suggestions it doesn’t have rolling bearings and hence is very stiff

My mate has one of those. I won't go near it. The rollers don't turn freely and some now have flats worn on them from wheels spinning against them. Which probably hasn't done the stock wheels any good either.

• RMweb Gold

I have had the DCC Concepts version for many years and it is all still intact although of recent years its normally been set for TT scale as I now use the one in the photo below for N and OO / HO scale. However I did find it to twist a lot so made up a small board to mount it and is now much better. the screws can be undone should I require ot add more rollers. Both types do require the rollers ot be kept clean

post-1557-0-80382200-1542635994_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

They've never been advertised for Proto 87.

Dunno where the 15.5mm comes from - they work perfectly well with 00 and "normal" H0 wheelsets for me.

Love the comment "they were useless for any sort of accurate 00/HO applications."

Since when has 00 been accurate?

• RMweb Premium

Not cheap but you could always use the DCC Concepts versions in a permenent gauge.

IE, buy two sets, keep one OO gauge, change another to N gauge?

Buy the 12 pack - set 6 at 00 and 6 at N.