Coachmann's coach thread.........

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Those little squares in the middle of the toilet windows (the larger ones), are these some form of ventilator? You've made it look like a straightforward conversion that gives a good result.

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back coach, we've missed you :D

Do you know if these etches are suitable for Mainline or Hornby Mk1s?

I'm quite happy with the Bachmann offerings but have 6 Mainline and 3 Hornby Mk1s which are crying out for improvement if I'm going to use them.

• RMweb Gold

Do you know if these etches are suitable for Mainline or Hornby Mk1s?

I'm quite happy with the Bachmann offerings but have 6 Mainline and 3 Hornby Mk1s which are crying out for improvement if I'm going to use them.

According to the blurb on Comets site the most accurate on length and height to the cantrail is the Bachmann one.However they can also be based on Lima,Triang and the ex Mainline ones too and they suggest these conversions are the simplest and most successful to carry out.

According to the blurb on Comets site the most accurate on length and height to the cantrail is the Bachmann one.However they can also be based on Lima,Triang and the ex Mainline ones too

In many ways the Bachmann Mk.1 is very like an updated version of the Tri-ang. Also it surely wouldn't be too hard to create an etched sub-frame with the appropriate folding sections that could be soldered to any Comet Mk.1 to make it a clip fit into the Bachmann (or Triang/Hornby for that matter) coach.

• RMweb Premium

The toilet vent louvres seem a bit of a let down, bearing little resemblance to the prototype.

I see what you mean, it looks like the etched part is actually the reverse of what it should be, i.e. convex vents should be concave, but given the degree of magnification here I very much doubt if they'd be noticeable on the model on a layout, unless one has the visual acuity of an eagle.

I'm assuming the photo below shows the same feature on the real thing (usual caveat about preserved stock not necessarily showing in service state):-

Coach-1917a.jpg

From here:-

http://www.southdevonrailway.org/Coach-Photographs-BR.html

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they are the louvers for the toilet window. They are shown in the cruelty of close-up photography..!

Thanks for that. Looking at them before you had cut them from the coach sides had made me wonder.

Larry

You primed the coach in red oxide and yet the biggest colour on the B&C coaches is/are cream. Is there a reason for the choice...other than 'it was what I had at the time' sort of thing. Only reason I ask is that I've always used the grey primer, but the finish colour on your sides has so much more depth to them that I wondered if this was to do with the choice of primer.

kindest regards

Mike

Larry

You primed the coach in red oxide and yet the biggest colour on the B&C coaches is/are cream. Is there a reason for the choice...other than 'it was what I had at the time' sort of thing. Only reason I ask is that I've always used the grey primer, but the finish colour on your sides has so much more depth to them that I wondered if this was to do with the choice of primer.

kindest regards

Mike

In the days when red oxide primer was truly awful stuff (dead matt, colours soaked into it and it bled through white and cream), I used grey primer. Then around 30 years ago I "discovered" a firm that later became part of Simoniz had a very good red oxide primer. It keyed to everything from aluminium to brass and I stuck with it over the years.

In the end, it matters not whether one uses grey or red oxide primer as I always put two coats of colour on separated by around 5 minutes. Carmine red is one coat when applied over cream. Where it does matter is with MR/LMS crimson lake. This must go on top of red oxide.

Larry

Eastern Region BR Mk. I corridor composite coach

A BR Mk. I? Is coach losing his marbles? Not quite yet!

.... said sides can be levered outwards from the base and unclipped from the roof........

So in fact all we need to do is pick up a Bachmann Mk.1 without any sides, and then we can do this conversion for ourselves? Excellent.

Now, will Bachmann start doing open-sided Mk.1s for the purpose.... Could be a niche market, this. :P

On the other hand, some enterprising etcher could produce a nice fold-up chassis & ends, with bogies to match, that would accept Bachmann plastic sides and produce an easy build coach....

I'll get my coat....

Ona a more serious note, lovely conversion there on the Mk1.

LMS 50ft Bogie Passenger Parcels Van.

This is a Hornby model that was resprayed in BR carmine red livery a few years ago. The moulded glazing had not gone back properly and the coach was dumped and robbed of its bogies. The photo shows it on temporary Bachmann bogies.....

Its impossible to get the glazing in correctly as its actually been moulded with the raised plug section on a diagonal slope to the main backing on these full brake vehicles. No idea why but hopefully its an early one for Shawplan to do laser cut glazing for giving you better flush fitting anyway without resorting to your more extreme approach.

New brass footboards is certainly needed for this range of coaches though as that plastic does warp easily when that thin.

The mk1 looks excellent, especially once you fixed the toilet vents.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they are the louvers for the toilet window. They are shown in the cruelty of close-up photography..!

Hi Coachman,

Tell me something - even if it is that I've done it wrong!

(From you - That is acceptable:rolleyes: )

These Louvres for the toilet window.

I used them differently to you have.

I appear to have reversed them and then filled in the gap between the window and lovre frame.

This means that my slats showed as recessed and not projections.

If I can find the coach - I'll take a photo to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks

Continuing the story, the sides were primed in red oxide and left to harden for 4 hours then the BR cream and carmine red colours were sprayed on. Lining was done in black and 'gold' cellulose to speed the job up and insignia was courtesy HMRS 'Methfix' transfers. Pictured before the high gloss was toned down.

Also apparent in these pictures is the dishonesty of colour images. Both taken within seconds of each other, the lower in fading sunlight and the upper in overcast.

To be continued...

Always great to see your work on here.

Can I ask any advice on how you achieve the finish with your painting and lining Coachmann? I've always struggled lining coaches for some reason. What paints or techniques do you use? I've tried using PP Brass for the 'Gold' lining but it struggles to come out of my Haff pen and when trying to clean up the metallic particles just seen to spread into the base colour and its a nightmare. I seem to have to spend ten times as much time trying to fix the mistakes than applying the paint.

According to the blurb on Comets site the most accurate on length and height to the cantrail is the Bachmann one.However they can also be based on Lima,Triang and the ex Mainline ones too and they suggest these conversions are the simplest and most successful to carry out.

AFAIR, the Hornby (ex-Triang) and Lima Mk.1s had their bogie centre's spaced further apart...about 3mm. (A scale 47'-3", instead of 46'-6") to prevent uncoupling / buffer lock when using Hornby's incline system and tight radii.

The Mainline SK & BSK were too shallow between gutter and solebar, thus presenting an initial problem to the modeller. I hit the same snag when attempting to convert the under-length Bachmann Bulleids.

So, as has been recommended, Bachmann Mk.1s are your best bet, even with their over-heavy roof weld seams :unsure: .

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Coachman,

Tell me something - even if it is that I've done it wrong!

(From you - That is acceptable:rolleyes: )

These Louvres for the toilet window.

I used them differently to you have.

I appear to have reversed them and then filled in the gap between the window and lovre frame.

This means that my slats showed as recessed and not projections.

If I can find the coach - I'll take a photo to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks

The slats should be recessed not projections judging by the photo I linked to up thread.

On the other hand, some enterprising etcher could produce a nice fold-up chassis & ends, with bogies to match, that would accept Bachmann plastic sides and produce an easy build coach....

I'll get my coat....

On a more serious note, lovely conversion there on the Mk1.

Eh? :blink: I wasn't actually joking when I wrote my posting.

What Coachmann has demonstrated is how adaptable / "etched-sides-compatible" the Bachmann Mk.1 shell is because you can detach the plastic sides. All it then takes is swap them for something from Comet, and it is almost "job done". There is almost no cutting, so there are no unsightly remains of the original plastic sides to use as a backing. This is bloody brilliant as far as I'm concerned! B)

After months of trying, I did get hold of a cheap Mk.1 RU on eBay, so this could be a really good quick project.

My experience with the games workshop purity seal satin is that it can whiten if not shaken enough or if it dries before reaching the model. It's been discussed on a number of wargame forums.

I wouldn't say don't use it but I would say use with care :angry:

Its impossible to get the glazing in correctly as its actually been moulded with the raised plug section on a diagonal slope to the main backing on these full brake vehicles. No idea why but hopefully its an early one for Shawplan to do laser cut glazing for giving you better flush fitting anyway without resorting to your more extreme approach.

New brass footboards is certainly needed for this range of coaches though as that plastic does warp easily when that thin.

Craig, Shawplan would make a killing with such things - absolutely B)

As for footboards again - spot on.

These Staniers with a wee TLC can really look the business methinks

A couple of outdoor shots were captured during a brief moment of sun this morning. What I like about this model is it captures the 'slim' appearance of these 8' 6" wide vehicles.

I'm now tempted to do one of the LMS 'all-steel' vans built in the 1920s as well as one of the panelled vehicles from the same era. They would have to be all brass seeing as the Hornby van would not be a suitable donor.

Coach you do it again.

Now to find some cheap Hornby 50 footers :lol:

Mind some early LMS full brakes would certainly be a fascinating subject as well.

Archived