Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Liking the wagons. Do you have any more pics of the track and I do apologise if you have answered it before but what are the gauges you have?

I'm looking to do something similar for my demo plank.

Cheers

Simon

Morning Simon, the wagon is on EM, the track behind is 00 and the extra rail is set to 32mm with the far EM rail.

(Really it's just a jumble of track to confuse Damian, see above...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a bit of progress with the coal hoppers, almost finished painting, there's still a bit of black to touch up.

post-7104-0-56678100-1419973696_thumb.jpg

And a couple of 20 ton ones as well

post-7104-0-49749400-1419973686_thumb.jpg

A while back I started on a mainline J72 conversion with a Mainly Trains chassis, in EM and compensated. It will be one of the early short bunker ones and 2mm has been removed from the sides of the bunker.

The rolling chassis with High Level axleboxes.

post-7104-0-44189800-1419973676_thumb.jpg

The tidied up body with chimney of unknown origin sat on and brass Ramsbottom safety valve cover, these were a different shape to the later covers for the pop valves. The ends of the buffer beams have been cut away as these early locos had plate beams.

post-7104-0-18583200-1419973708_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

And here was me thinking C.L. meant  'Caley Livery'....

I'm sure someone has done it, keep a look out on Ebay, there's a rash of 'never wasas' at the moment.

All the best for the new year Paul, see you anon.

Dave Franks.

Hi Mark I am about a page through the High Level Chassis at the moment. THough I have choped and changed around a little... to suit using a Chassis2éd jig. I have a little note for you watch the cylinder cross head Number 10 and 35(?) as I think they may be around the wrong way....I will see if I can get any more done tonight and see if the numbers are right or wrong! I must admit that the Chassis2  jig does make it easy to get everything striaght and where is should be... ablely assisted by Chris Gibbons design... or should that be the other way round?? I too am interested in Paul's detailing to the body. I knew once that Perserverance did a lovely turned brass chimney for the J72 which I managed to only ever get one for a J21! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like the wagons; I have been doing a batch of P7s - see here http://highlandmiscellany.com/

I also have a J72 to do; can you talk through the adjustments and detailing you are doing to the body.  I am going Highlevel for my chassis.

P7's are excellent.

They certainly are, Mark, what have you used for lettering, I see you made up the North Eastern Railway from individual letters but where from, especially the specific NER lettering and numbers?

.......... what have you used for lettering, I see you made up the North Eastern Railway from individual letters but where from, especially the specific NER lettering and numbers?

The lettering comes from the Slater's transfers that come with the kit.  I bought a multipack of ten kits, so I have a fair few lettering sheets to use and they do include a full alphabet.  It does take several sheets to do each full "North Eastern Railway" - "A" is the problem letter!

It also takes a long time and is difficult to get them neatly lined up due to the number of letters in the legend.  I will go back and adjust one or two of them as I am not totally happy with some but I was starting to go potty looking at the lettering so put it to one side for the moment.

Hi Mark I am about a page through the High Level Chassis at the moment. THough I have choped and changed around a little... to suit using a Chassis2éd jig. I have a little note for you watch the cylinder cross head Number 10 and 35(?) as I think they may be around the wrong way....I will see if I can get any more done tonight and see if the numbers are right or wrong! I must admit that the Chassis2  jig does make it easy to get everything striaght and where is should be... ablely assisted by Chris Gibbons design... or should that be the other way round?? I too am interested in Paul's detailing to the body. I knew once that Perserverance did a lovely turned brass chimney for the J72 which I managed to only ever get one for a J21! 

That would be helpful to me at least, although it may not be fair to clutter Paul's thread with it as it is a tad off track - open a fresh one and just note where it is here?

• RMweb Gold

The lettering comes from the Slater's transfers that come with the kit.  I bought a multipack of ten kits, so I have a fair few lettering sheets to use and they do include a full alphabet.  It does take several sheets to do each full "North Eastern Railway" - "A" is the problem letter!

It also takes a long time and is difficult to get them neatly lined up due to the number of letters in the legend.  I will go back and adjust one or two of them as I am not totally happy with some but I was starting to go potty looking at the lettering so put it to one side for the moment.

That's interesting, the last couple I've built only have LNER and BR transfers, they do look different to the ones in the kits I built years ago.

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, the last couple I've built only have LNER and BR transfers, they do look different to the ones in the kits I built years ago.

Right, got home and had a look in a couple of kits still to build and they have NER, LNER and BR transfers, the kits I have just built seem to have had the NER ones cut off, they were second hand kits so the previous owner must have cut them off.

I've looked on both the Slaters and Coopercraft websites and neither seem to have them for sale separately, does anyone know if they are available? I want to avoid using the PowSides ones again for my sanity's sake... 

Yes they are.

• RMweb Gold

I also have a J72 to do; can you talk through the adjustments and detailing you are doing to the body.  I am going Highlevel for my chassis.

Jobs done on the body so far.

1. Shorten bunker by 2mm.
  2. Remove chimney and safety valves.
  3. Remove handrails and fill holes.
  4. Remove smokebox door dart, I may replace the door, I think I have a better W/M one.
  5. Cut back buffer beams and fill slot where vac pipes went through footplate.
  6. Remove all detail from roof.
  7. File off front step 'braces'.

To do, apart from replacing things removed above.

1. I may replace the coal rails as the loco I'm building at the time had three open rails.
  2. There is a part cab interior with the chassis kit to fit, I also have a cast backhead.
  3. Boiler bottom fillet (with kit) to fit.
  4. Lamp irons.
  5. Clack valves on boiler sides.
  6. EDIT. Seperate tanks from boiler. thanks Mike!

post-7104-0-34430200-1420568548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

Right, got home and had a look in a couple of kits still to build and they have NER, LNER and BR transfers, the kits I have just built seem to have had the NER ones cut off, they were second hand kits so the previous owner must have cut them off.

I've looked on both the Slaters and Coopercraft websites and neither seem to have them for sale separately, does anyone know if they are available? I want to avoid using the PowSides ones again for my sanity's sake... 

Found them , no idea if you can buy them though?

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=645

I see the Slaters Hopper in the picture is shown as a end brake version , never seen that as a kit only the side brake version.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Gold

Found them , no idea if you can buy them though?

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=645

I see the Slaters Hopper in the picture is shown as a end brake version , never seen that as a kit only the side brake version.

Thanks Mick, I looked round most of the site and missed that, I have now found a page of transfers by searching for 'lettering'http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lettering

The end brake hopper looks to me like a 7mm one.

• RMweb Gold

And on to tonight's progress.

Motor and pickups fitted, runs ok with a couple of little lumps that are disappearing with running.

post-7104-0-54525400-1420579321_thumb.jpg

And thanks to Mike Trice for pointing out the front of the tanks, there's always something you miss!

First side cut out, still needs a bit of cleaning up.

post-7104-0-18505400-1420579338_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Paul and Mike, that little list is useful.  I would add new footsteps to this list and poitentially thin down the specticle surrounds.

Where were you sourcing replacement chimneys/safety valve covers from.  It lools like the the London Road rather beautiful cast version for the latter which strangely I have used (cut down) on a Highland loco!

Cooper Craft/Slaters did do an etch that allowed the kit to be converted to an end brake version (so must have been used to make the model in the picture).  I could not get any though, which prompted me to make my own etchings.  I don't know whether they have any spare transfers.

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Like 1