Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

David,

I use a Watchmakers vice (from Eileens Emporium)  which isn't too big and can be removed from it's baseplate when not needed. Otherwise a cheap turnscrew mounted vice (e.g. one of the Rolson range) will do, as it doesn't need to be permanently fixed to the workbench.

Some kit suppliers provide ready rolled etched boilers, thus making life a bit easier.

Jol

Thanks for that Jol. I normally use a watchmakers vice, acquired from Eileens, because I find that my smallish (as they go) engineers vice is too big and inconvenient for 4mm stuff. Great for most DIY jobs around the house, but too big for modelling. I was just concerned that the conversation above seemed to be making it clear that the GW rolling mill needed to be secured in an engineer's vice. Concerned, because my current workbench, an adapted IKEA desk, is too small for the engineer's vice I have.

I do have a requirement for a rolling mill, because I have a partially completed kit in stock which needs to have a rolled boiler, although I suppose I could use a brass tube instead. Perhaps I'll think again.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Porcy, I really must object to that photo of your workbench, you've obviously tidied it up for the photo as there are no blue topped packets to be seen.....

Dave Franks.

As I said, loads of crap at that end of the bench...

post-7104-0-96819700-1433867724_thumb.jpg

you've obviously tidied it up for the photo

You don't know how near the truth you are with that statement...

you've obviously tidied it up for the photo as there are no blue topped packets to be seen.....

Happy?

post-508-0-12327900-1433868421.jpg

No connection to LMS apart from subliminal marketing advisor. :)

LMS models. Doing more for Scotland's Balance of Payments than the BOS could ever do. :imsohappy:

P

Crosspost with Mr. G's Pic.

When did LMS start doing sherbet?

Every workbench has to have some form of sustenance on it. (Note the box; not just a mere packet, of Maltesers on Mr G's bench!)

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Contains coach seating unfortunately. ..

Maybe now, but at some time in the past!  I also have a recollection of buying you some Jellie Babies in the past. (and in a pub come to that).

P

Edit: Never realised seating was an ingredient. What's it's e number?

Edited by Porcy Mane

You don't know how near the truth you are with that statement...

Happy?

attachicon.gifWorkbench-012-sm.jpg

No connection to LMS apart from subliminal marketing advisor. :)

LMS models. Doing more for Scotland's Balance of Payments than the BOS could ever do. :imsohappy:

P

Crosspost with Mr. G's Pic.

Now that's better. Some may regard it as overload though.... Do you want to be my distributor as well....

Dave, thoroughly gobsmacked of Glasgow.

Dave, thoroughly gobsmacked of Glasgow.

Well... I was looking for a model to show off your wares in a thoroughly misogynistic sort of way; sort of in this style:

https://moremoneymorechoices.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/alcohol-and-genital.jpg

(yes ... that sort of model) but I couldn't find one readily to hand.

Yesterday was spent drilling out some LMS LB01 buffers to spring them. What do you think?

post-508-0-99243100-1433879167.jpg

With apologies to Mr. G for hijacking his thread. (Again)

P, of Durham, thoroughly deserving of a gob smack.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Arthur's law states that as the build progresses the space available for working shrinks to the absolute minimum area is which it is still possible to work.

ArthurK

Arthur's law states that as the build progresses the space available for working shrinks to the absolute minimum area is which it is still possible to work.

ArthurK

I'm glad it's not just me! I always tidy up before the start of a new build but.........................

When did LMS start doing sherbet?

It's cheaper than weathering powder and if you make a mistake just lick it off......two for the price of one ! Bonus :)

• RMweb Gold

Right, Topic Reset.

Made good progress with the tender tonight, I've got all the etched parts on now apart from the brakes. The flared out pieces at the top of the sides went well, the instructions say to put the piece between a piece of 1/8" rod and a piece of firm rubber and squeeze it in a vice, I don't have a piece of firm rubber so I used two thicknesses of MRJ envelope card and then I got the really big vice (bigger than the one you've seen) out to squeeze it in, perfect curved brass.

post-7104-0-96163000-1434060803_thumb.jpg

Starting to look the part now!

post-7104-0-83120100-1434060813_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Right, Topic Reset.

Made good progress with the tender tonight, I've got all the etched parts on now apart from the brakes. The flared out pieces at the top of the sides went well, the instructions say to put the piece between a piece of 1/8" rod and a piece of firm rubber and squeeze it in a vice, I don't have a piece of firm rubber so I used two thicknesses of MRJ envelope card and then I got the really big vice (bigger than the one you've seen) out to squeeze it in, perfect curved brass.

attachicon.gifIMGP0655-001.JPG

Starting to look the part now!

attachicon.gifIMGP0656-001.JPG

Looking very nice Paul, be nice to see it in the flesh if your fetching it along to the Goathland show.

Very much looking forward to the show, The Mill is progressing nicely getting ready for it.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Getting the bottom of the boiler to the same radius as the rest of it is not always easy. Engage the edge of the boiler so that it just touches the bottom roller the screw the pressure of the top roller until, hopefully, you get it to deform. You may need a few goes at that. Another method is to use a piece of scrap brassunder the boiler bottom join  and roll the two together. That way the boiler edge doesn't drop between the two bottom rollers.  If that fails put the nearly rolled boiler into a brass tube with a diameter of little more than the boiler and finish the rolling inside that. Well it usually works for me!

Of course annealing the boiler first makes rolling a lot easier but be warned the boiler is then very soft and VERY easily dented.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK