Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Stripped down my 2nd loco that wasn't picking up from the front and rear trucks and adjusted the wipers. I am surprised there has not been anyone else on with this problem, or maybe they have not yet noticed.

post-775-0-77250100-1388269123.jpg

Pickup wipers are flat...

post-775-0-27564300-1388269143.jpg

...and would be nowhere near the axle

post-775-0-49785500-1388269155_thumb.jpg

After adjustment

post-775-0-03447000-1388269170.jpg

Also removed the 6 pin socket as it had these gubbins underneath and will hardwire in a decoder...

post-775-0-67363800-1388269819.jpg

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rather than party like it's 2014, today I decided to dismantle the body of one of mine. Here is the resulting explosion of parts.

post-6821-0-25556900-1388519624_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-86037100-1388519637_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-64769000-1388519651_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-59068300-1388519660_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-80507500-1388519671_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-63952500-1388519682_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-68353200-1388519691_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-57009200-1388519703_thumb.jpg

The dome is a separate part, the chimney is not. The reversing lever has broken (cleanly) as it's glued to both the boiler and footplate.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

"Stripped down my 2nd loco that wasn't picking up from the front and rear trucks and adjusted the wipers. I am surprised there has not been anyone else on with this problem, or maybe they have not yet noticed."

"Free at last", there are no pickups on the radial trucks. What you have bent up are simply springs to keep the wheels on the track.

I have stripped down a 2-4-2 to convert to P4 using the Bachmann chassis and Gibson wheels and so far it is looking a possibility although it is early days. It will be necessary to do some relieving of metal to clear the coupling rods as the Gibson wheels have a bigger crank throw but Colin at Gibson can supply 3mm axle wheels of the right diameter but not the right spoke pattern. Also if you go down this route get his pack of coupling rod bushes since only the Bachmann coupling rods will fit, exact scale ones won't - I already have a couple of other 2-4-2 chassis on the go so I thought I would use their coupling rods but they simply locked up. In the end I soldered some brass tubing into the Bachmann rods and used those. It runs very freely without the motor, not got as far as putting that back in yet until I am happy it will negotiate curves and pointwork without derailing. Bachmann's radial trucks are certainly ingenious and a much more realistic solution than those on the other 2 chassis I have bought for this loco over the years.

If anyone is interested in P4'ing it let me know and I will update it when I progress further.

Ralph

• Like 2

Ralph R, on 01 Jan 2014 - 15:17, said:

"Stripped down my 2nd loco that wasn't picking up from the front and rear trucks and adjusted the wipers. I am surprised there has not been anyone else on with this problem, or maybe they have not yet noticed."

"Free at last", there are no pickups on the radial trucks. What you have bent up are simply springs to keep the wheels on the track.

I

Ralph

Strange then that the axles are live to one wheel and the "springs" link up to the pickups on the keeper plate, and after this adjustment the engine now picks up from six wheels.

Edited by Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

282828]Ralph[/color]

For greater certainty my "disagree" only related to this quote. My bogies do pick up but it can be intermittent and I suspect "Free at Last" is correct....the wipers require adjusting

Strange then that the axles are live to one wheel and the "springs" link up to the pickups on the keeper plate, and after this adjustment the engine now picks up from six wheels.

Sorry Free At Last, you are right. I didn't look at the radial wheels as not needing them I simply discarded them out without looking. These 'live' wheels can be a bit of a problem for us P4'ers but they certainly do improve pickup.

Ralph

I have stripped down a 2-4-2 to convert to P4 using the Bachmann chassis and Gibson wheels and so far it is looking a possibility although it is early days. It will be necessary to do some relieving of metal to clear the coupling rods as the Gibson wheels have a bigger crank throw but Colin at Gibson can supply 3mm axle wheels of the right diameter but not the right spoke pattern. Also if you go down this route get his pack of coupling rod bushes since only the Bachmann coupling rods will fit, exact scale ones won't - I already have a couple of other 2-4-2 chassis on the go so I thought I would use their coupling rods but they simply locked up. In the end I soldered some brass tubing into the Bachmann rods and used those. It runs very freely without the motor, not got as far as putting that back in yet until I am happy it will negotiate curves and pointwork without derailing. Bachmann's radial trucks are certainly ingenious and a much more realistic solution than those on the other 2 chassis I have bought for this loco over the years.

If anyone is interested in P4'ing it let me know and I will update it when I progress further.

Ralph

Please do!

Regards

Having spent a lot of time trying to fit these Gibson wheels into the Bachmann chassis I have to say that making this body fit for P4 clearances is a big job. There is a LOT of metal to remove from inside the body to get clearances for these wheels but it IS possible. Having got the clearances sorted I now need to see if it will go around 3'6" curves without derailing and at the moment I have my doubts, these radial trucks are very bouncy and in 00 the flanges keep them on. I will check it out tomorrow on Slattocks and if it doesn't run smoothly then I will look at doing a chassis for it. The Gibson wheels I am using are the K3 wheels which Colin Seymour has done a 3mm axle for.

Ralph

A quick update on the P4 version of the 2-4-2T. It managed to get round 3ft6ins radius curves fine but the trailing radial kept bouncing off so for me this is going to mean a new chassis. For anyone wanting to do a P4 conversion I would advise you to make something to hold the footplate assembly in prior to removing metal. The last photo in Nile's posting above gives you an idea of the size of the block of metal that comprises the sidetank and some of this needs to be relieved to get a side to side clearance for 18.83. Also the footplate needs relieving to clear the coupling rods although if they were closer to scale that would be less of a job.

A quick update on the P4 version of the 2-4-2T. It managed to get round 3ft6ins radius curves fine but the trailing radial kept bouncing off so for me this is going to mean a new chassis. For anyone wanting to do a P4 conversion I would advise you to make something to hold the footplate assembly in prior to removing metal. The last photo in Nile's posting above gives you an idea of the size of the block of metal that comprises the sidetank and some of this needs to be relieved to get a side to side clearance for 18.83. Also the footplate needs relieving to clear the coupling rods although if they were closer to scale that would be less of a job.

That's a little discouraging, particularly the bit about having to remove metal from inside the tanks. Sounds as though a milling machine is required. Thanks for your posts so far and please continue!

Regards

There's a P4 underframe kit here. It was originally done for the Craftsman kit and I'm waiting to hear if it needs modifying to fit the Bachmann.

Craftsman never did the L&Y 2-4-2T. It was either the etched George Norton/London Road kit or the whitemetal Cotswold Sutherland Casting/Nu-cast one.

Tony

I recently gave into temptation and bought 50636. What a little beauty she is! Cracking model by Bachamnn and to to it all off Digitrains have done a sound chip for it and Tim Shackleton has weathered one for Hornby Magazine. Going to have to be a dirty one for Weeklyn Hill I feel :)