Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Hi Dr G-F

There were intermediate wheeled trolleys (tubs) that the contents of the coal wagons were emptied into. When a loco required coaling, it was these latter tubs that were then emptied into the tender via a counter-balanced ramp. So it was the coaling stage guys job to keep the tubs full so if there was a sudden convey of locos requiring coaling then they could be serviced quickly. Quite a common arrangement at many coal stages around the country.

I'll try and find a pic...

Here we are - a recreation at Diddlycot

http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/didcot_rly_centre_2010/mini-P1010399.JPG

The tubs at Grantham were 2 wheeled , bigger wheels as well ; but otherwise quite correct and well done on t'other side (mess room side) ; captures the scene well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe technically a "Sprag" is more usually a either a stick or bar which you jam between the spokes, to stop a wheel moving, or (originally on horse-drawn vehicles) a spike which was attached to the vehicle and was lowered to the ground to stop the vehicle rolling backwards downhill.

A triangular wedge that jams between the wheels and the rail (or wheels and ground) would normally be termed a chock or as manna says, a scotch.

But again these terms were subverted by local custom, so could be any or none of the above.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure whther the GN tubs were the same as the Midland ones but I've got 4 of them for Green Ayre built from potos.   If they would be of interest I'll try and get some decent photos of them this weekend.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie!

To be honest, I'm not sure. I suspect they were different but no harm in comparing notes so - yes - please do send us some pics if you are able.

This is a North Eastern version. North Blyth mid sixties.

post-6751-0-37415000-1447948142_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 3

IN Arthur K's photo in post 2694 , the tubs look the same as the Grantham ones , but NOT the chutes . At Grantham the tub wheels located in like a cradle the same radius /shape of the wheels , and the tub swivelled in a tipping motion emptying into the tender below . I'm sure I've seen pictures of it some where ; probably in John Clayson's "Return to Grantham" thread in RMWeb , or the "ebook" thingy he and others have embarked upon : see www.returntograntham.co.uk .

I'm sure you're aware of this site though Graham , and as the business side of the old coaling stage is not on the viewing side I did'nt think you would be modelling the tubs . Hence I did'nt really comment in detail too much .

Regards , Roy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'day Gents

In the Kings Cross area, they were called a 'Scotch' there a wedge with a handle on, you jam them under the wheels to stop wagons (and loco's) running away.

manna

That's a scotch, a sprag is something different and was a short wooden baulk tapered at each end.  To use a sprag it was shoved into a wheel in such a way that the sprag was tight against the axle guard and thus stopped the wheel turning.  They also made useful packing when re-railing as the taper could be rather so i understand.  They started to disappear from the late 1960s onwards as they weren't very good on three hole disc wheels and they were also nice and handy to split for firewood in brake van stoves.

• RMweb Premium

I had a question about books on Grantham that I hoped I may ask here. "Eastern Region Steam Twilight" by Colin Walker comes in 2 parts. One is subtitled South of Grantham and the other is North of Grantham. Does anyone happen to know if there is much of Grantham in either volume, and if so which one ? Tom

Edited by Dominion

• RMweb Premium

I had a question about books on Grantham that I hoped I may ask here. "Eastern Region Steam Twilight" by Colin Walker comes in 2 parts. One is subtitled South of Grantham and the other is North of Grantham. Does anyone happen to know if there is much of Grantham in either volume, and if so which one ? Tom

Some in Part 1 Tom, but a lot more in Part 2.

I was definitely thinking of something put through the spokes when I referred to a sprag.

In yet another strange twist of the English language, in these parts, in my childhood, the verb "to sprag" also meant "to expose wrong-doings" i.e. to inform (generally a teacher in those days) or to expose a miscreant.

Looks like it also described, as a noun, a prop in a colliery, if on-line info is correct.

In yet another strange twist of the English language, in these parts, in my childhood, the verb "to sprag" also meant "to expose wrong-doings" i.e. to inform (generally a teacher in those days) or to expose a miscreant.

Where I came from, the equivalent verb was "to snitch"  :this:

Definitely a bit :offtopic:  Need to find something new to post...

Of course!

(Shh! Keep your voice down - 'Sir' might be listening. I don't want to get lines again... :mail: )

He is listening!

Superlative recent work by the way - my heartiest congratulations. 

I'm glad the C2 is getting regular work - I hope she's behaving herself. How she was built will appear in BRM next year. 

Out of interest, John Redrup (LRM) is sending me the D2 kit for the saturated locos. I think this is more appropriate, and speaking with Ben Jones yesterday he'll feature a build article of it in BRM also next year. Any particular number?

I look forward to sitting, being seated, and to have sat near to you at Warley next weekend. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Out of interest, John Redrup (LRM) is sending me the D2 kit for the saturated locos. I think this is more appropriate, and speaking with Ben Jones yesterday he'll feature a build article of it in BRM also next year. Any particular number?

That sounds fantastic!

I guess any number except No.4329:

post-16151-0-58778500-1447977507_thumb.jpg

If I can be so bold(!) watch out for different:

Chimneys;

Domes (4329 has the wrong type!);

Safety Valves;

Cabs;

Tender brake gear;

etc...!

If ever there was a loco type that needs a good reference picture to work off then it was a GN 4-4-0. By the 1930's there were hardly two alike! I'll bring some pics to Warley and we can swap notes.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

G'day Gents

I suppose after you had been 'dobbed in' by some 'snitch' you could very well want to jam them under a wagons wheels ??

manna

Or through the spokes. You'd easily be mardy* enough to do either.

*Does anybody outside the Lincolnshire / South Yorkshire area know that term?

• Like 1