Brighton Belle in N !

krause

Hi all

Arnold (part of Hornby, focussing mainly on German models) have just announced the Brighton Belle in N!

http://www.hornbyinternational.com/galeria/13fotos/18.jpg

It shows a 3-car set in the mock-up, but might be a 5-car set after all or 2 add-on cars available, no more details I am aware of right now.

Having observed their delays in launching new models I would guess 2014 or even 2015....

Andreas

Damn, damn, damn . . . .  . http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65404-brighton-belle-from-lima-pullman-lits-coaches/

Or is it an early April fools joke? Something strange about the pics; a drawing not a photo, only one pick up beam/shoe fitted bogie, no scale (1:160 or 1:148) mentioned, . . . .

But possibly.

G.

• RMweb Gold

The photo is the same one used by Hornby for their OO version when that was announced.

Is there a source for this news? The Hornby International website has no mention of it at all!

Whilst not unwelcome (except maybe by Graham!) It seems a strange move for Hornby to announce this under the Arnold Brand, and it would be even stranger to produce this at 1:160 if thats what it turn out to be!

Tom.

Is there a source for this news? The Hornby International webiste has no mention of it at all!

It is from Hornby International, go onto their website, click on Arnold and a pop-up window appears, after some Rivarossi/Electrotrain announcements, there it is.

• RMweb Gold

It is from Hornby International, go onto their website, click on Arnold and a pop-up window appears, after some Rivarossi/Electrotrain announcements, there it is.

Thanks Krause, have just seen it (Firefox blocked the pop-up!) No mention of scale though. A very interesting development indeed!

Tom.

Whilst not unwelcome (except maybe by Graham!) It seems a strange move for Hornby to announce this under the Arnold Brand, and it would be even stranger to produce this at 1:160 if thats what it turn out to be!

Yep, welcome in that it would imply Hornby are starting to move in to British N gauge (assuming they get the 1:148 scale correct), but not so good for British modellers if it turns out to be 1:160. And why no mention in their British marketing especially as there's a nice British union flag flying on the image.

G. 

This is very interesting news - would there be a market in Europe for a Brighton Belle in 1:160? As Arnold are an established N Gauge brand I can see the logic of using it to enter the British N Gauge market. Also there are some very nice VSOE coaches on the web site too although I assume these would be 1:160. Is Simon Kohler in charge of the model plans for Hornby's international brands too?

Paddy

In the past Jouef/Playcraft, Lima, Fleischmann and Rivarossi have all wasted money on British outline H0 and failed to make any significant commercial market impact. Now a 'Night Ferry' train in 1:160 would make some sense as it was used both sides of the Channel (likewise the Kato Eurostar), but a Brighton Belle or VSOE Pullman are purely UK based trains so 1:160 would be plain daft.

Very interesting but also very strange. If Hornby are entering into British N you'd think there would be a bit of  a fanfare rather than hidden on their international website and then there is just a photo hidden away. I'd love one but would anyone buy it at 1:160? Why would an overseas modeller run it and it would look to small next to British outline stock? Lots of questions so lets hope some answers will soon appear.

The down side is I've a set of Lima pullmans that have been awaiting conversion for a while and I'd rather build than just buy RTR.

Gareth

I can't see this at all on the Hornby international website. I am rather sceptical given this is a huge announcement for Hornby and is evidently well hidden on the website.

If made by Arnold I would assume it is 1:160th scale, for the European market, but strange as uk modellers will lap this up.

Perhaps some clarification from Hornby uk is needed?

David

Is this the arrival of Hornby in N gauge, using an established name in N gauge?

Roger

Roger,

Like Hornby used Minitrix, from the 1980's  ;)

Although any modeller will always welcome more choice and players in any scale market I would have thought.

Mike.

What an intriguing development, and it raises more questions than it answers.

What scale is it to?

Who are the intended market?

Is this a one-off or the start of a push by Hornby into N gauge?

The impression I got was that Hornby had tested the waters with their Lyddle End range and decided it was not worth them pursuing british N gauge. I would be delighted to be proved wrong as they have plenty of good models that I would love to see shrunk to N gauge. However many of the best prototypes they model in 00 have been cherry-picked by Dapol in N gauge already (sensibly as they are both competing against Bachmann/Farish, albeit in different scales).

I await more information with interest.

May be Hornby have looked at Bachmann and Dapol and see how they are able to spread development costs across two (N & OO) and even three (O as well) scales? Could be pare of their approach to moderate future prices.

Paddy

Whilst very interesting and exciting - it is also hugely speculative. I'd be inclined to carry on as normal without any expectations until such time as a definitive announcement is made one way or the other :)

We cant do that .Its far to simple and sensible .Speculatus forum moanus.

Whilst very interesting and exciting - it is also hugely speculative. I'd be inclined to carry on as normal without any expectations until such time as a definitive announcement is made one way or the other :)

Not quite as speculative as a simple 'wish list'. It woud seem the intention is definitely there - it's only a question of scale.

OK - that's quite a biggie!

• RMweb Premium

All the Del Prado stuff was to 1:160 or 1:87 scales, including the British models.

If Minitrix managed to get the scale correct, why wouldn't Arnold?

It looks like a (not very well) hidden gallery of new items for 2013.All will become clear eventually,maybe at Nurenberg?

BernardTPM mentions a "Night Ferry" in 1/160. At least there is the LSModels F type sleeping car to start with following up on their H0 version of the same. Hopefully the Belle will be to 1 /148 scale. What scale was the Del Prado one?

Mike

Ha .. the night ferry stock has been "pending" for years in N scale.

If Minitrix managed to get the scale correct, why wouldn't Arnold?

In the days when Minitrix started British outline models, part of the Trix company was UK based (a subsiduary of Courtaulds) and worked in conjuction with Peco (they shared the Mk.1 coaches and the 45t tank wagons). Indeed before Peco there was no 1:148 scale; British modellers (and Lone Star commercially) used 2mm scale, 1:152.

Archived