Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

John

you are absolutely correct, and the straight does not have to be very long at all - if you are pushing coaches, it probably wants to be 75% of the bogie pivot distance, but for 4 wheelers, around  9', so say 60mm would certainly suffice

there is a nomogram from old PW notes, which I found on RMWeb, I think, some time ago, but can't find again, which relates the length of the straight to the radius of the curves (reverse or same hand) and propensity to buffer lock.

If I find it, I'll add a link.

best

Simon

A bit of flex track and a razor saw should fix that.

Kinda defeats the point of setrack though, doesn't it?

But an S-bend - from a point to a curve the other way for a passing loop or two sidings - shouldn't be a particularly uncommon configuration.

I suppose that, like in OO, many items won't go round radius 1 curves, with O gauge setrack you'll have to be careful how you lay it out and what you run round it.  Or you modify your stock appropriately.

I'm stuck at the moment waiting for the setrack points to finally appear but I will certainly be using them.

bottom line is that real railway curves tend not to be tight, and where they are in places such as docks, industries, etc, there are very short locos with small overhangs, and very big buffers, pushing one or maybe two trucks. 

or a "planked up" tractor.  working 7mm shunting horse, anyone?

best

Simon

bottom line is that real railway curves tend not to be tight, and where they are in places such as docks, industries, etc, there are very short locos with small overhangs, and very big buffers, pushing one or maybe two trucks. 

Precisely why I have a Judith Edge Ruston 165DS built and painted, waiting...

I believe that making a circuit of settrack will cost rather more than if done in flexi?

Ed

But there is no risk of dog-legs where the pieces join, which may be a price worth paying when laying such tight curves.

I believe that making a circuit of settrack will cost rather more than if done in flexi?

Of course, but you'd have to make your own "tracksetta" guides if you want even curves.

But settrack always costs more than flexi, whatever the gauge.  It's just the way things are even though there's no need for it to be that much more expensive.

Packaging costs for individual pieces of settrack, tooling costs, and economies of scale for flexi may go some way towards explaining the difference.

plus the convenience / consumer aspect - handmade is cheaper than flexi

best

Simon

plus the convenience / consumer aspect - handmade is cheaper than flexi

Not all of us are comfortable, or want to, build track which is why it's available ready made.  Let's not go down the "I'm a better/more serious modeller because I make my own track" argument here.  Had enough of that on the Guild forum which is why I left.

• Like 1

Nobody even mentioned anything approaching "better modeller".

I merely pointed out the demonstrable fact that home brew track costs less than commercially available flexi track.

Like all aspects of our hobby, what we do and what we spend our pocket money and time on is a personal choice.

Simon

I merely pointed out the demonstrable fact that home brew track costs less than commercially available flexi track.

Component-wise, perhaps ... but if you were to add the minimum wage for your time spent assembling it then it doesn't come out as such a bargain.

Ed

True. But what you lose in money terms you gain in convenience, which is the whole "point" of Set Track. Just think of it as a grown-up and rather posh train set, which you can assemble, disassemble and reconfigure as many times as you wish. This is nothing like what most of us would regard as "serious" model railways, and it was not meant to be. But it could also be ideal for use in a more permanent context, where space is very limited, where the layout might have to be moved to a new location and re-formed for a new space, or just for the convenience of setting up a quick round the room test track.

Personally, I can see lots of applications for it. But first, we need some turnouts!

John

I am looking forward to getting the turnouts. When the rest of the family are out, I have a nice large tiled floor in the living room which conveniently as 12" square tiles. It'll give me a good opportunity to try some layout planning.

Also, I have a 295cm wide garage, so the 102cm radius works nicely for me. This means that I can have scenery between the tracks and the wall. The other options for set-track was the Altas Code 148 which doesn't fit my layout theme.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

talking to the peco guy at york today, he says the setrack point should be available june/july this year

Good news!

Have we any idea as to how long the setrack points are to be yet? I'm 'chomping at the bit' with my layout planning! ;)

Here is the info on the new Peco turnouts from the Tower Models site -

post-27939-0-35785100-1460362445.jpg

It gives the O/A length as 168mm. Rather strange timbering to sleeper arrangement at the crossing end, though.

P.S. I've just realised that length can't be correct, surely? It's only just over 6 1/2 inches . . .

John

Edited by John R Smith
  • Like 1

Pecosetrackpt.jpg

It gives the O/A length as 168mm. Rather strange timbering to sleeper arrangement at the crossing end, though.

P.S. I've just realised that length can't be correct, surely? It's only just over 6 1/2 inches . . .

John

Thanks very much John!

Although, as you say, surely that quoted length isn't right....?

attachicon.gifPecosetrackpt.jpg

John

The length is roughly 10 times the gauge, so more like 320mm.