Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I believe the Hornby magazine video goes live this coming Friday showcasing our Maanor DCC sound and running. Perhaps we reserve judgement till then, but we’re very confident in our performance, both in running and haulage capacity.

Cheers!

Fran

Excellent looking forward to it Fran. Thanks again

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Kaput said:

Worth noting that Dapol's own catalogue makes zero mention of number of flywheels or motor type for the Manor. Just a generic "high torque motor" line.

Lets try not to cruxify a manufacturer based on one retailers ramblings.

Indeed, it was pointed out earlier in one the two threads about how inaccurate this comparison chart is (Turned brass safety valves anyone?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just ordered sound fitted Erlestoke Manor from Accurascale. Previously I had it on pre-order from Hattons (from whom I get a lot of stuff). The reasons for the change are twofold. Firstly, I thought I would see what getting stuff direct from Accurascale is like and secondly, as I live in the EU it works out about ten quid cheaper, part of which is free delivery in the EU. I wonder if Jacob Really-Smug will quote this as a Brexshit bonus! 🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, JST said:

Just ordered sound fitted Erlestoke Manor from Accurascale. Previously I had it on pre-order from Hattons (from whom I get a lot of stuff). The reasons for the change are twofold. Firstly, I thought I would see what getting stuff direct from Accurascale is like and secondly, as I live in the EU it works out about ten quid cheaper, part of which is free delivery in the EU. I wonder if Jacob Really-Smug will quote this as a Brexshit bonus! 🤣🤣

LOL.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JST said:

f Jacob Really-Smug will quote this as a Brexshit bonus! 🤣🤣

I suspect so.......

Well done you!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just to point out (I missed out on the query re iron core v skew wound) over the weekend that our motor is skew wound. It is of very high quality and is used in precision dentistry equipment, among other applications. We are confident it will be up to our needs.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to point out (I missed out on the query re iron core v skew wound) over the weekend that our motor is skew wound. It is of very high quality and is used in precision dentistry equipment, among other applications. We are confident it will be up to our needs.

Cheers!

Fran 

Making my dentist redundant exceeded even my expectations! Presumably the accessory packs will now contain dental drills, descalers etc.  In which part of the loco. will these plug?

Colin

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JST said:

I also ordered my Manor direct from Accurascale - for the same reasons, please of course to avoid Spanish customs by ordering in the EU.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran

Does that mean it's coreless as well?

It doesn't matter to me as long as it's a good runner, as I expect it will be - more compact, more room for ballast!👍🏻

IIRC Coreless motors have made big inroads into medical equipment and similar uses.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Hi Fran

Does that mean it's coreless as well?

It doesn't matter to me as long as it's a good runner, as I expect it will be - more compact, more room for ballast!👍🏻

IIRC Coreless motors have made big inroads into medical equipment and similar uses.

Hi Keith,

It is not a coreless motor.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2022 at 18:16, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @gwrrob,

Twin flywheels? 

I believe the Hornby magazine video goes live this coming Friday showcasing our Maanor DCC sound and running. Perhaps we reserve judgement till then, but we’re very confident in our performance, both in running and haulage capacity.

Cheers!

Fran

@Accurascale Fran - do you happen to know if the video goes live for ‘the masses’ or is it, like the first  Deltic video, for Hornby subscribers only?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

@Accurascale Fran - do you happen to know if the video goes live for ‘the masses’ or is it, like the first  Deltic video, for Hornby subscribers only?

Hi Mike,

My understanding it's for all the great unwashed like myself!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why?

Because it leave my options open for which Manor to purchase, knowing I won't get one that runs like a bag of nails.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 57xx said:

Because it leave my options open for which Manor to purchase, knowing I won't get one that runs like a bag of nails.

Seems to depend on your method of control (DC or DCC) and if DC the age and quality of your controller. I have a Hornby trainset DC controller that I use purely to establish if a model runs before DCC fitting. Up until the latest Bachmann J72 (coreless apparently) this was fine. The J72 ran like a bag of nails as you describe but is silky smooth as described by @thetrains once DCC fitted. It may be its your control equipment that prevents you getting the best out of the latest models.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Seems to depend on your method of control (DC or DCC) and if DC the age and quality of your controller. I have a Hornby trainset DC controller that I use purely to establish if a model runs before DCC fitting. Up until the latest Bachmann J72 (coreless apparently) this was fine. The J72 ran like a bag of nails as you describe but is silky smooth as described by @thetrains once DCC fitted. It may be its your control equipment that prevents you getting the best out of the latest models.

And that once again is an essential truth that seems to evade quite a number of forum members. It seems we are ( or at least some of us are ) prepared to splash the cash on expensive models which they will run on frankly obsolete control equipment.  Then along comes the age of the coreless motor….or does it ? Accurascale,very definitely the leader of the pack atm are opting for a conventional can motor to install in their locos.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 57xx said:

But you don't know.

• RMweb Premium

These days you should not be using any form of controller (DC or DCC) that uses a low frequency BEMF system

Even iron cored motors can have their commutators damaged by poorly controlled low frequency BEMF.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, thetrains said:

Should have said I am on DC, GM model 100 M, and panel mount model U with simulation, 3yrs and 1years old respectively.

I should perhaps have made it clear that this is a general point and certainly not specific to you.It’s an historic issue 

Really looks excellent. That's really tempted me to preorder 7820 now even as a southern modeller!

Nly comments I would have is I spotted the lining doesn't have the white/cream thin line. Is this because it's a first deco sample? Also the firebox prism looks quite noticeable in the photo though happy to wait till tomorrow's video to see what it looks like in a layout environment. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

One notable absentee from our decorated sample line up was 7820 'Dinmore Manor'. Unfortunately this was sent after the first lot of decorated samples and got somewhat lost along the way, but it has finally shown up. 

Once again, please note that this is a pre-production decorated sample, so usual caveats apply! 

156461118_dinmoe6.thumb.jpg.613ee1993dfb1d7aecdd2465dd8cb31a.jpg

Constructive feedback welcome as always, and look out for the running video with Hornby magazine tomorrow along with a further Manor update next week!

Cheers!

Fran 

One thing Fran - it still has that considerably oversize reverser handle.  Compare with the Sdn drawing below. (although it might well have been corrected by now as it was noted as oversize when teh EPs were first posted).

2093315837_manorcabinteriorendelevation.thumb.jpg.b10c46f513a02a3ab57c650122a06188.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1