Graham Farish Spring 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

KATO 800s are UK scale are they not?  No ones mentioned them being 1/160

Yes Kato have made some models unique for the U.K. market.

But if your looking at producing models for the Japanese market (to bring down overall production costs) I know some of my Farish models fouled the station platforms of my Kato layout, so they would need to be 1:160 to sell in Japan where the largest market resides.

22 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

..... I know some of my Farish models fouled the station platforms of my Kato layout, so they would need to be 1:160 to sell in Japan where the largest market resides.

Then they probably wouldn't sell in the UK. And Farish make model trains for the British market (UK outline to 1:148 scale rather than Japanese types to 1:160) so probably they wouldn't be that attractive in Japan.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grahame said:

Then they probably wouldn't sell in the UK. And Farish make model trains for the British market (UK outline to 1:148 scale rather than Japanese types to 1:160) so probably they wouldn't be that attractive in Japan.

No they wouldn’t, that was

my point.  The discussion turned into economy of scale (manufacturing, not our kind of scale) which is probably why Katie don’t produce much here at the prices they cost in Japan.

5 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

For example, it is fairly well documented that sales of BR Blue models have grown significantly in the last 5 years against the formerly dominant transition era.  It is quite possible that the yellow Railease wagons and air braked Bauxite wagons - associated with the late 70s on - will become more popular as the demographic changes.

Well I am glad to hear that.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

But if your looking at producing models for the Japanese market (to bring down overall production costs) I know some of my Farish models fouled the station platforms of my Kato layout, so they would need to be 1:160 to sell in Japan where the largest market resides.

I don't think the 800s have been made uniquely for the UK market.  I understand that the vast bulk of production of the 800s is for the Japanese market.  They are available for purchase at a number of domestic Japanese retailers, and because the Japanese market is much larger than ours, the low cost of the 800 has been achieved because they have been able to make, and sell, so many.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Brian-1c said:

Actually, the Japanese N is 1:150, so is very close to UK N.

It can be either in actual fact.

From Plaza Japan…

“N scale trains tend to vary by manufacturer but are generally close enough in design to be mix-and-matched for your very own, custom train. To qualify as an N scale, a model train must range between 1:148 and 1:160 in scale, and the gauge between the rails must always measure 9 mm”

Edited by boxbrownie

57 minutes ago, Brian-1c said:

Actually, the Japanese N is 1:150, so is very close to UK N.

Although Japanese Shinkansen high-speed models are made to 1:160 scale as they have a large loading gauge and run on standard 4ft 8.5ins track whereas most of the rest of Japanese lines are of various narrower gauges so 1:150 scale is more appropriate.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Although Japanese Shinkansen high-speed models are made to 1:160 scale as they have a large loading gauge and run on standard 4ft 8.5ins track whereas most of the rest of Japanese lines are of various narrower gauges so 1:150 scale is more appropriate.

Exactly so, some of the earlier Steam Engines are an even bigger scale! Tomix I believe had quite a few.

• RMweb Premium

Is there some ‘creative accounting’ going on at Bachmann in claiming this has arrived but yet no one has it available….

Item No. 371-335

Product Class 150/2 2-Car DMU 150220 Northern
Arrived

Price £219.95

…. or do we think this is just a typo on their website?…. would be great if it was here - looking forward to this (& the ATW version).

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, JR_P said:

Is there some ‘creative accounting’ going on at Bachmann in claiming this has arrived but yet no one has it available….

Item No. 371-335

Arrived

Price £219.95

…. or do we think this is just a typo on their website?…. would be great if it was here - looking forward to this (& the ATW version).

Apparently it is due very soon, so possibly it has arrived at Barwell and is on its way to the retailers at the moment.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kris said:

Apparently it is due very soon, so possibly it has arrived at Barwell and is on its way to the retailers at the moment.

With a bit more manual perseverance (not Google), I was able to find somewhere with it showing as in stock - the original Provincial too (which also showed as arrived at Barwell)…. so maybe these two genuinely are in the UK now :yes: !

I will await arrival with my retailer of choice and then spend some money - feels like it’s been ages since I bought any Farish….

On 06/02/2022 at 21:24, grahame said:

FYI, whether they are counted separately or not, is that basically the class 450 is the class 350 without the pantograph and pick up shoe beams stuck on the bogies, and (presuming you mean class 769 rather than 709) that is basically the 319 body shell with a diesel engine installed underneath. And the model versions of all three (450, 319 and 769) haven't yet arrived, but is something to look forward to.

HTH.

Being, as you were aware, firmly rooted in the sixties in that band of civilisation that separates Scotland from Yorkshire I went with the classes as described by Bachmann, ie if Bachmann called it a separate class that is what I used.

Please don't shoot the messenger.....

Les

On 02/02/2022 at 10:03, woodenhead said:

Something in it for me!!

Time to trade in the old shunters - I was toying with chipping them, but no need now.

Of course you have to remember to actually order the item you want, already removed from pre-order at Rails but still able to pre-order from TMC.

Class 08 with sound ordered.

23 hours ago, JR_P said:

Item No. 371-335

Arrived

Price £219.95

Yeah, I was just going to say that lot of items that were due in Jan/Feb such as the MK2s and MK1 BGs are now listed as being 'arrived', but they don't seem to be in the shops quite yet.

On 07/02/2022 at 10:53, Revolution Ben said:

4)  What is the market likely to want in the next 5 or so years?  For example, it is fairly well documented that sales of BR Blue models have grown significantly in the last 5 years against the formerly dominant transition era.  It is quite possible that the yellow Railease wagons and air braked Bauxite wagons - associated with the late 70s on - will become more popular as the demographic changes.

Ben,

If you and Mike start producing BR Blue stock (wagons, 304s, 310s, MK2Cs, RBs - I'm unashamedly WCML), then I mlght as well have my salary paid into your account.

es grüßt

pc 

• Funny 2

On 07/02/2022 at 18:54, JR_P said:

Item No. 371-335

Arrived

Price £219.95

Interesting it's also listed as 150220 (and the photography shows this too), but it was announced as 150275 originally.

On 07/02/2022 at 11:45, boxbrownie said:

Actually aren't Japanese models 1:152?  Because skinkansen aside they're 3'6" gauge, so the difference is much less

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Actually aren't Japanese models 1:152?  Because skinkansen aside they're 3'6" gauge, so the difference is much less

If you see my post above quoting it is anywhere between 1:150>1:160 and some steam locos even larger scale, the Japanese N gauge scene isn't known for being totally accurate probably due to the quite numerous different gauges.

• RMweb Premium

I have just looked at a brand new (well it was 15 years ago) boxed specs for a Kato 210-100 Loco I have on a shelf here, and the model spec'd length is 123mm the proto dims are 18.2 meters so that makes the model in actual fact 1:148......as near as knat's are bothered.

But I know it varies from model to model and source to source.

• RMweb Premium

True, Grahame, but the Peco chassis for the kits are just not up to scratch for 2022 ; won't the plastic wheels have to be replaced  and isn't painting, gloss varnishing, applying transfers and matt varnishing  required too? I've also found that the Peco chassis is wider than the Farish ones, so somebody's dimensions are at variance with the prototype. In my view there's no contest and Farish win hands down.