SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

Couldn't agree more, where is that U Class?, there were 50 of the things after all.

Hello Glenn

Not wishing to go 'off topic' but just for info...

The U Class was consistently in the Top 50 of what was The Annual 00 Wishlist Poll and became consistently the most-wanted SR loco from 2015.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

.... where is that U Class?, there were 50 of the things after all. 

Not quite that simple, unfortunately - there were lots of different variants even as built/rebuilt ( not to mention new frames etc. later ) so  fifty variants, perhaps : how would you choose to represent a 'typical' U-Boat ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

This looks far more imposing than the D Class!

According to SEMG, 1749 was rebuilt 1921 by Beyer Peacock, and 1741 was rebuilt in 1927 at Ashford.

Decisions, decisions. SWMBO would kill me for either one of them, so is it a case of in for a penny, in for a pound?

Edited by truffy
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

£199.95 DCC Ready
£324.95 DCC Sound Fitted

All versions are available to pre-order now with just a £30 deposit.

Just one, not-so-minor point, Oliver. I think that the pricing on RoS is misleading.

image.png.6fde5dbec4f262a8bd0fee8e46522de3.png

I take this to mean £166 of which a £30 deposit is required, not £166 PLUS an ADDITIONAL £30 deposit.

Perhaps it's just me, but it could be more transparent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I, too, will be back-dating a 'Sunshine' one.

POSSIBLY back-dating to 'SOUTHERN' on the tender but retaining the B.R. number 31487 which this loco gained in June 1948 ......... unfortunately this was not one of the four D1s that carried the full 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' title as offered by Rails. ( Nos. s1735, 31246, 31470 & 31473 - according to Southern Style.) 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

POSSIBLY back-dating to 'SOUTHERN' on the tender but retaining the B.R. number 31487 which this loco gained in June 1948 ......... unfortunately this was not one of the four D1s that carried the full 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' title as offered by Rails. ( Nos. s1735, 31246, 31470 & 31473 - according to Southern Style.) 

It's a shame no one at Dapol or RoS have looked at Southern Style, as if they did it might encourage them to get the SR lettering correct in both style and height. 
It's not worth just changing the tender sunshine lettering and leaving the number in place as neither are correct so therefore best to replace both and choose whichever number you want. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I realise that this is the "Rails" thread, but does anyone know if Locomotion will be producing a special edition ?

Where have they been hiding a D1 in the National Collection? :) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

Rails/Dapol made a an obvious error on their BR lined black D where the early emblem on the right faced backwards.  They don't seem to have learnt as on the livery samples they have repeated the error on 31741!  The early 'lion over wheel' ALWAYS FACED FORWARD!  Hopefully this time there is time to correct the fault.

Also from Spring 1952 the cab lining on BR lined black locos was changed.  Previously it was 'continuous' as on 31741 but from 1952 it was 'cut' where the footplating intruded into the cab side.  So 'continuous' lining is incorrect for the late crest engine, 31246.

Chris KT 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Merchant Navy said:

I too automatically thought that the loco would be part of the National Collection when I was awaiting the announcement video! Rails has set a bit of a trend in recent times in this respect.

There's a compact and bijou cluette in the announcement:

20 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Withdrawn in November 1961, no preserved examples exist.

;)

13 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

It is showing £199.95 for me.

£166.63 is £199.95 less the VAT.

Ummm, nope:

image.png.c39d9632e5352d2273363e2fc89dca37.png

And, although I'm in Switzerland, so tax would be deducted at RoS's end, I'm not logged into my account. Spooky!

Edited by truffy
Clarification

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Rails/Dapol made a an obvious error on their BR lined black D where the early emblem on the right faced backwards.  They don't seem to have learnt as on the livery samples they have repeated the error on 31741!  The early 'lion over wheel' ALWAYS FACED FORWARD!  Hopefully this time there is time to correct the fault.

Also from Spring 1952 the cab lining on BR lined black locos was changed.  Previously it was 'continuous' as on 31741 but from 1952 it was 'cut' where the footplating intruded into the cab side.  So 'continuous' lining is incorrect for the late crest engine, 31246.

Chris KT 

It would appear that the original livery specification / artwork has been blindly copied across from the D Class and all the errors highlighted / ignored at the various stages in the D class development and are now duplicated on the D1 class. There are frustratingly errors affecting every livery option! 

Edited by Graham_Muz
typo corrected
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

There are frustratingly errors affecting every livery option! 

Baffling. Getting the shape and proportions right is a task I would see as difficult. Getting livery details right is simply about basic research, which I see as far more straightforward.

• Agree 5