Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

17 minutes ago, rka said:

An Alexander models 10800 for £58, very pleased with that even with no power bogies, especially considering some one has a q kits version listed for £125, and the last alexander models version I followed sold for over £150

Watch out for plenty more, now that Heljan have announced an RTR model.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Watch out for plenty more, now that Heljan have announced an RTR model.

CJI.

Well I have mine now, it has had the bottom louvres removed from the sides, but I'm not bothered about that. 

It even comes with a set of transfers. ;)

• Like 2

I have just bought a built but up painted Springside 14xx for £87 plus £5.90 postage. New these kits retail for £366 (I assume + postage)

Its missing a few parts, hand rails, smoke box darts, water tank breathers, wheel balance weights and whistle. I have hand rail knobs and wire plus I think smoke box darts, I doubt is the other items will cost me more than £30

The chassis runs well but the wheels are very dirty, as it all needs taking apart for painting its not an issue

The build quality is not the best you have seen, most can be sorted with a bit of filler (photos always make it worst) but what can you expect for £87

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping I've got a bargain on the way. I don't normally take much notice of RTR but I put a cheeky offer in on a Hornby "Legends" Mallard. Number 769 limited edition of 1000 (so not that limited). One loose buffer apparently. £80.

The only other one I can find on ebay sold was £126 (something familiar about that number and Mallard) but that was number 375.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2022 at 18:06, Bucoops said:

I'm hoping I've got a bargain on the way. I don't normally take much notice of RTR but I put a cheeky offer in on a Hornby "Legends" Mallard. Number 769 limited edition of 1000 (so not that limited). One loose buffer apparently. £80.

The only other one I can find on ebay sold was £126 (something familiar about that number and Mallard) but that was number 375.

Think I'm happy with it. For some reason I can't find my power supply so can't test its running yet but apart from the loose buffer and a tender handrail that had come loose it looks fine. The handrail glued back on easily, I'm waiting to hear back from Peters Spares about the buffer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been so lucky in being able to buy an unbuilt Westward Double GWR Railcar (35 & 36). I have been trying to buy one for years but others have had much deeper pockets than mine (or I am just a skinflint)  Well a couple of weeks ago I got one off eBay for £56 + postage. I was expecting to pay so much more, I put in a cheeky bid seconds before a more substantial one and won it with my first bid. The bid finished near midnight and the listing whilst not bad, it could have been better, I decided to take a bit of a flyer on this one, having said this all the main parts were visible. 

I got to know John Redrup and Chris Parish in the early 70's (if not the late 60's) but the cost of these Westward kits and the Lima chassis was out of my reach. I have even thought of how I could replicate one of these double units by kit bashing, but never picked up the courage. More importantly it keeps my memory of Chris alive

I have decided not to use the Lima chassis, firstly as I will build this to EM gauge, secondly I have two Branchline motor bogies, which will be easy to re-gauge to EM gauge

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Again, not off eBay but I picked this up from a charity shop yesterday for £1.50, appears to be quite a rare book, I suppose a lot would have been cut up back when they came out, this one however is untouched and has the extra instruction sheet included 

1970 pan books, Railway children papersculpture book With 2 cut out yourself models to make up, not even perforated, as well as pics from the film etc

IMG_4602.HEIC

IMG_4603.HEIC

IMG_4604.HEIC

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, big jim said:

Again, not off eBay but I picked this up from a charity shop yesterday for £1.50, appears to be quite a rare book, I suppose a lot would have been cut up back when they came out, this one however is untouched and has the extra instruction sheet included 

1970 pan books, Railway children papersculpture book With 2 cut out yourself models to make up, not even perforated, as well as pics from the film etc

IMG_4602.HEIC

IMG_4603.HEIC

IMG_4604.HEIC

What gauge is it?!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

IMG_4602.HEIC

IMG_4603.HEIC

IMG_4604.HEIC

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What gauge is it?!!

Mike.

Now if it had been the old gentlemans coach and to 00 scale I would want one myself. Mind you if its possible to scan it you could make it any scale you like and still keep the original intact.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not from eBay, but a local auction house.

1x Gaugemaster Model D controller

1x Gaugemaster Model Q controller

3x Gaugemaster electric track cleaners

2x Gaugemaster CDU's

7x unknown automated control units of some kind. 

All of this for the princely sum of £18.50 after fees.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What gauge is it?!!

Mike.

its quite close to O gauge! 

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Mind you if its possible to scan it you could make it any scale you like and still keep the original intact.

i was thinking the same thing

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

for the past 12 months I have been waiting for one of the budget supermarkets to reintroduce their 20v cordless strimmer to go with my cordless hedge trimmer, as I now have an allotment and we are required to cut our grass paths

With nothing forthcoming I decided to solve the issue another way. I have a Black and Decker 18 volt drill and the battery stopped charging, it was cheaper to buy a second drill with 2 battery packs and a charger than buy a battery and charger separately. As it happens it was the charger that failed ,but as I was doing a lot of DIT it was useful to have 2 cordless drills and a spare battery. I looked on line and Black & Decker sell a 18 volt cordless strimmer, it sells for £50 without batteries and £80 with battery & charger. Some chap had been selling these stating they were new, I assumed they were returns. I won one for £32 + postage which said it came with a battery but no charger.

It arrived with most of the parts still sealed up, and a charger as well as a battery, I now have a back up charger as well as an extra battery.

I now have nice and tidy paths on my allotment and its so much easier to use at home not having a lead (and extension lead) trailing about ones feet

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Arrived this morning, Dapol Turbot Ballast Wagon for just £20. Only problem is that I require three more.

what livery?

There was a Dutch one in the classifieds 

EDIT: it’s sold now 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

what livery?

There was a Dutch one in the classifieds 

EDIT: it’s sold now 

EWS but I want it to convert to a London Underground one. I need another three to make up a rake.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

EWS but I want it to convert to a London Underground one. I need another three to make up a rake.

you have to be quicker than me then with the classifieds on here then, ive had 2 EWS ones off off kev johnson in the last couple of months!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a huge load of architect’s model road vehicles on the off chance from ebay. 20 pounds with postage. 

Clockwise from top left.

1/450 T gauge - incredibly you can make out a Bedford CA and a couple of land rovers!

1/160 N gauge - includes a Bedford TK, Duple coach and Ford D series. 
1/100 TT gauge. Fiestas Cavaliers etc.

1/220 Z gauge. 

There are dozens and dozens of vehicles. I’ll probably flip them in scale specific job lots and hopefully make a few pounds. I bought them out of curiosity and wondered if the 1/100 cars would actually be 1/75 as there was no way to judge scales in the pictures on the listings only relative sizes. 

All are painted white metal with locating pins in them.

A40A84F7-B661-429F-9E46-2626AC30CDED.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a  Hornby R2705 Grand Central power car and dummy for 125 pounds.  I am not sure how much of a bargain that is seeing its not going to go well with my 1980’s period layout.  Rule number 1 I guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this counts - London Road Models N1 which (sells for £123). Alan Gibson trailing wheel and all insulated Markits driving wheels. The seller stated the chassis had been started in EM but incorrectly, and a new chassis etch was included.

£75 delivered, plus 3% cashback Plus 75 nectar points.

The frames were indeed not quite right - all bar one of the spacers was EM with the other one P4. The axles bearings had also been filed down to try and narrow the width I assume. The soldering was very neat, so it took only a couple of minutes to dismantle. It's all in good condition so I can't see me needing the spare etch, and it also came with new bearings, I'll be building it OO so will need new axles.

I have no requirement for an N1 but it looks nice so rule 1...!

Edited by Bucoops
75 nectar points, not £75!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a look at this one ,as you said it went for a decent price. As my GER layout is quite small I have enough larger locos (there was a GNR goods yard close). Glad I never joined the bidding party

What make and gauge axles are they, as I could do a swap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I had a look at this one ,as you said it went for a decent price. As my GER layout is quite small I have enough larger locos (there was a GNR goods yard close). Glad I never joined the bidding party

What make and gauge axles are they, as I could do a swap.

I think it was a buy it now listing :) 

They are Romford/Markits - not measured yet but presumably EM. I've already ordered axles but if you can use them I can pop them in the post? 

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1