Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Great news about the Bachmann mk2f's. Can see my visa getting a workout in the near future. What to do with the Hornby and Dapol coaches, have wanted some scotrail coaches so might repaint the intercity red stripes blue. On that subject, has anyone attempted that in the past?

Stephen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm hoping they (Bachmann's 2f) are loads better.

Build quality never hit me as great.

Ian

Latest batch (as per pic) is much improved over early versions. Consensus is that the windows are a tad too high up the bodyside. Looking forward to the Bachmann ones though. Two BR rakes planned at least.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wouldn't write off the blue and grey RFB as a poor seller.

True that it is non-authentic for the British Railways era as the converted vehicles only appeared after the introduction of the "raspberry ripple" and "swallow" liveries.  However it would be an appropriate livery for a heritage train on a contemporary layout.  The full size 1215 is currently in blue and grey livery at Whitrope where it acts as the static buffet on Waverley Route Heritage Association open days.  As a WRHA volunteer, I had a customer visited last year who told me that he was employed by West Cost Railways who owned identical vehicles.   1215 is not owned by WRHA, as far as I know it is owned by Northumbria Rail who also appear to own rolling stock at several other sites, so could well be on the move again in the future.

So far the RFB is the only one of the new Bachmann coaches which I have pre-ordered.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1

No mention of how the DCC is being implemented. Interestingly, though I think we know it's for the lighting, that's not what the web page says:

The OO scale BR MK2F coaches feature:

• Highly detailed underframe
  • DCC versions available
  • Close coupling mechanisM

So it's not entirely impossible (though somewhat unlikely) that the DCC may be for more than just lighting?

DCC flushing toilets?

im not sure if the dcc version coaches will have a decoder fitted (it would have to be very small as I doubt Bachmann would let it intrude into any of the visible coach interior including the toilets - it could possibly sit in the roof area at a push) or whether they will be continuously powered through the usual insulated wheelsets with pick ups.  it would be a shame if there was no facility to turn off the lights but I dont think Bachmann are so narrow minded to omit such an important function (as with the Blue Pullman) because interior lights are only really visible in the dark (or for the pedants - the brief moments in tunnels or under bridges and such like - sorry you have to try and cover all the bases on here to avoid pointless jibes).

Maybe like on the Desiro 350s they will have a removeable roof panel with a sliding on-off switch underneath which at least keeps thing nice and simple.

I suppose they could have a simple on-off decoder with maybe the possibility that the light brightness can be dimmed or intensified (just as you can with most of the diesel headlights) but I doubt it for my latter idea........I also think that if anything you wouldnt want to turn lights up in these coaches to full brightness.

I am sure I read somewhere that the coaches will receive fully detailed interiors too?  Seems a good move if you have lights inside.

The Rapido Trains Easy Peasy Lighting system is good because you just pass the supplied wand over the coaches and it turns all the lights on or off but maybe not one for the purists :)

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 6 months later...

i hope they get the livery right on the blue/grey ones.

the mk2b's are still wrong as the blue is too close to the lower edges of the windows. hopefully the shade of blue will be correct too.

i'm not a skilled modeller and while i respect certain people's ability to completely strip, glaze and repaint a brand new carriage which cost nearly 30 quid, i'd rather the manufacturer got it right in the first place. 

ready to run should mean exactly that!

i hope they get the livery right on the blue/grey ones.

the mk2b's are still wrong as the blue is too close to the lower edges of the windows. hopefully the shade of blue will be correct too.

i'm not a skilled modeller and while i respect certain people's ability to completely strip, glaze and repaint a brand new carriage which cost nearly 30 quid, i'd rather the manufacturer got it right in the first place. 

ready to run should mean exactly that!

You really mean the Mk2a's?

im not sure if the dcc version coaches will have a decoder fitted (it would have to be very small as I doubt Bachmann would let it intrude into any of the visible coach interior including the toilets - it could possibly sit in the roof area at a push) or whether they will be continuously powered through the usual insulated wheelsets with pick ups.  it would be a shame if there was no facility to turn off the lights but I dont think Bachmann are so narrow minded to omit such an important function (as with the Blue Pullman) because interior lights are only really visible in the dark (or for the pedants - the brief moments in tunnels or under bridges and such like - sorry you have to try and cover all the bases on here to avoid pointless jibes).

Maybe like on the Desiro 350s they will have a removeable roof panel with a sliding on-off switch underneath which at least keeps thing nice and simple.

I suppose they could have a simple on-off decoder with maybe the possibility that the light brightness can be dimmed or intensified (just as you can with most of the diesel headlights) but I doubt it for my latter idea........I also think that if anything you wouldnt want to turn lights up in these coaches to full brightness.

I am sure I read somewhere that the coaches will receive fully detailed interiors too?  Seems a good move if you have lights inside.

The Rapido Trains Easy Peasy Lighting system is good because you just pass the supplied wand over the coaches and it turns all the lights on or off but maybe not one for the purists :)

It would strike me as odd calling these coaches with DCC lights if they cannot be operated by digital control. In fact designing these so that it works (switches on) only if the thing senses its on a DCC track rather than a analogue one would be a pointless costly exercise IMHO that won't please anyone.

My assumption would be a coach that lights up on both DCC and classic analogue control with the possibilty to switch lights on/off via DCC signal when controled by the former.

Naturally, having a rake of 10 coaches, to be controled under DCC individually might be a pain - unless you can give them all the same address, and the signal would then switch the whole lot on or off. I agree it would be nice to know what Bachmann intend operator wise....

Hornby's Mk2Es would doubtless work on both too only you have no computer control, so they would rest permamently on unless electricity was cut from the track.

I look forwards to both sets, as I'm sure they will look splendid behind my all blue sound fitted class 40.... (being overtaken by the APT-E) :no:

Normally the function, thus the signal to switch lights on or off is the same (as far as locos are concerned), so if the same applies here and they all have the same address then, you could half the coaches on the track, send the commend to twigger the lights (lights come on), then put the other half on the track. Send the signal again, the lights come on in the second group but go off in the first.

Now intermix the groups 1 by 1, so that you have one lit coach, one not lit, one lit etc etc

Attach a loco. Resend the signal several times and watch as all coaches switch back and forth between lit and non lit units.

Ok not very prototypical, but it could be fun!!

Normally the function, thus the signal to switch lights on or off is the same (as far as locos are concerned), so if the same applies here and they all have the same address then, you could half the coaches on the track, send the commend to twigger the lights (lights come on), then put the other half on the track. Send the signal again, the lights come on in the second group but go off in the first.

Now intermix the groups 1 by 1, so that you have one lit coach, one not lit, one lit etc etc

Attach a loco. Resend the signal several times and watch as all coaches switch back and forth between lit and non lit units.

Ok not very prototypical, but it could be fun!!

babble city....
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

model rail magazine this month had an intriguing bit of news. the farish mk2f's are currently at the research stage. the Bachmann mk2f's however are now at the CAD drawing stage.

id have thought if the 00 gauge ones had gone through the research phase the n gauge version would now also be at the CAD stage.

the only differences that are apparent to me would be the smaller scale, but wouldnt this all be part of the CAD stage not the research stage?

anyone explain this???

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 2 weeks later...

Hattons playing safe...and why not!

I thought they maybe commanding a higher sum..so I wonder does that come with accessory decoder too?

Ian

according to the new catalogue the dcc coaches are shown as "DCC on Board" so it seems no extra expense needed buying decoders.

Its probably too soon to expect to see any samples at Warley.

only dcc on board DBSOs are shown on the Bachmann website but it makes sense to produce non dcc. Bachmann might be thinking that as its a driving van and could lead as well as be pulled it should have directional lighting like most of its locos.

perhaps it will operable on DC via a micro switch....i dont think it will cost £100 but i dont expect much change from £60 to be honest maybe £70 using their latest inspection saloon as a guide which costs about £50.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

I hope the DBSO's will be available as plain coaches as originally planned. I don't do DCC (hate it) and don't want to pay €100 for a coach. Was planning to get 2 in ScotRail (one for what I think would be a quick conversion to an Anglian DBSO)

I didn't buy any Irish 071 or 201's as I was paying for speakers that I would never use.. 

Hornby 31's "DDC sound" etc.. but this is for another thread!

What speaker was fitted to the 071s and 201s? I do not have any Irish models but know plenty of people that do. Apart perhaps from provision been made for the fitting of a speaker no speakers were fitted.

Correction - the 071/111 did have an inbuilt speaker. Just proves I do not have one. I doubt it would add much to the cost being factory fitted.

Edited by BR Blue