Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.


gwrrob
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

 

Don’t get me started on that contrived stitch up for Lewis.

I am not aware of any shenanigans at a doctor's surgery on the isle of Lewis recently? I do not think that they are still trying to get the railways planned 100 years or so ago?

 

Lloyd

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Last night's project. An old metal frame which had failed old-school lights removed. A 8.4m long string of 100 LEDs. 12m of cable wrap.

Tra-lar....

rps20211214_074246.jpg.cad8fb1bece01766dfc5442a8e1378c3.jpg

I've based it on a GWR 45xx obviously.

 

Blimey ! 

 

Halloween has come around quickly again ! 

 

Please don't give him any Sweets oooops ! Sorry Rob ! 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Rapido have announced that the order book is now open for their Loriot Y and features a diecast chassis and available in three liveries with a rrp of 40 sheets.

 

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/titfield-thunderbolt-update

 

 

 

 

Looks a nice addition, and with a diecast chassis it should run well (which is always difficult in this sort of design).  Better still it is a different diagram Loriot to that which is already available from Cambrian (although I do rather feel that brass rather than plastic would better suit the prototype.)  Will be getting in touch with Rainbow to get one ordered later on I think.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

and features a diecast chassis

 

As an aside, may I ask those more knowledgable than myself what metal is used these days in die cast models, specifically railway ones ?

I only ask due to the inherent problems faced with MAZAK destroying our prized locos in the past.

 

G

Edited by bgman
word
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

At last I can, after two years, talk about it.   And yes, among lots of other goodies. the undergubbins is a really top rate job thanks in some measure to a certain Mr Isles who has really gone to town on it and kept on asking awkward extreme detail questions about various parts of the brake gear on drawings & photos and how it worked (or in one case didn't work).  It was going to be something superb even before Paul got involved because there was already an awful lot of in depth research going on, right down to individual vehicle running numbers for particular trains, and it has turned out really looking to be the ultimate Siphon model and deserving to make a dent in almost everybody's wallet.

  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

At last I can, after two years, talk about it.   And yes, among lots of other goodies. the undergubbins is a really top rate job thanks in some measure to a certain Mr Isles who has really gone to town on it and kept on asking awkward extreme detail questions about various parts of the brake gear on drawings & photos and how it worked (or in one case didn't work).  It was going to be something superb even before Paul got involved because there was already an awful lot of in depth research going on, right down to individual vehicle running numbers for particular trains, and it has turned out really looking to be the ultimate Siphon model and deserving to make a dent in almost everybody's wallet.

 

Interesting that it's been announced now.... does that mean that Accurascale got wind that someone else might be launching a new Siphon soon?

 

Certainly looks good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

 

Interesting that it's been announced now.... does that mean that Accurascale got wind that someone else might be launching a new Siphon soon?

 

Certainly looks good.

 

No, our launch policy now is when we have tooled samples in hand, and the delivery is no more than 12 months away. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This really is fantastic news! 
 

Now need to find my Siphon book to see if the 2 GWR O33s in the first release were in the same condition in 1947, or whether they were converted during the war.

 

I guess another option for us postwar GWR modellers might be the ‘transitional’ GWR-BR O59 with the ‘W’ removed - just need to check when that one came out the workshops…

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, BenL said:

I guess another option for us postwar GWR modellers might be the ‘transitional’ GWR-BR O59 with the ‘W’ removed - just need to check when that one came out the workshops…

That is one of the ones I have ordered, Accurascale showed on their Deltic that it is really easy to remove their printed numbers so it should be an easy job to get rid of the W.  I have had a look in the HMRS book and cant see a date it returned to service post war 

 

I have also ordered the blue 2768  M34 from which I plan to respray as either 2758 or 2930, the latter appeals more as it was branded to work to Plymouth (per the photo in the HMRS book) but I think it has different brake gear.  

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Should we be excited about today’s Accurascale announcement.....

 

What have I missed. :D What a magnificent announcement and thanks to @The Stationmaster for his involvement in this project. He was right after all to keep saving the pennies.

 

I hope GWR modellers buy these in numbers, not cheap but the level of detail is mouth watering and something I've been advocating on a Western model for years. No wonder @Islesy had a smile on his face at GETS.

 

An early Xmas present for us all.

  • Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

 

What have I missed. :D What a magnificent announcement and thanks to @The Stationmaster for his involvement in this project. He was right after all to keep saving the pennies.

 

I hope GWR modellers buy these in numbers, not cheap but the level of detail is mouth watering and something I've been advocating on a Western model for years. No wonder @Islesy had a smile on his face at GETS.

 

An early Xmas present for us all.

 

Clearly I am not going to upgrade the bogies on my Lima projects.... what shall I use them for instead? 

 

I feel an avalanche of ex-Lima models going onto eBay or Hattons very soon!

  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...