Revolution Ben

What might be sensible is for us to get a price for blister packed pantographs (probably in a pair) and open that up to pre-orders, and if adequately supported it can go ahead.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben....

I have a largish fleet of Dapol 86s with over scale pans and would definitely be interested in a bulk order. Add in some 3D printed projects to result in at least a Class 318 and Class 380... to go with my 320s on order....

I have a feeling that a great N Scale 2 x Brecknell-Willis High Speed pans and a separate pack of 2 x Stone Faiveley pans would be a shoe in for many.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We have now received CADs for all four vehicles that form the 321 unit. These are the DTCO, PMSO, TSO and DTSO. The Class 320 three-car Scottish units are comprised of a pair of DTSOs with a PMSO in between.

DTCO (one large, one small window behind cab)

post-420-0-95878700-1497559501_thumb.jpg

PMSO

post-420-0-51961400-1497559541_thumb.jpg

TSO (with toilet)

post-420-0-71352500-1497559691_thumb.jpg

DTSO (two small windows behind cab)

post-420-0-33057700-1497559521_thumb.jpg

The interiors have been added now along with some other details, though there remain some refinements to add and the couplers have not been added.

post-420-0-79503400-1497559796_thumb.jpg

The next version of the CADs should include all the remaining modifications and once they are approved we will be ready to consider tooling.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

Hi Ben, although I don't model in n scale, the cad drawings look fantastic. Please please consider doing them in oo scale especially 320 in spt carmine and cream, spt intermediate (orange and black), Strathclyde transport and scotrail liveries. You would have an order for a few from me. I look forward to my rake of 24 tea models on order as these also look exceptional.

Hi Mike,

Thank you Ben for posting the latest CAD cams, they look superb.

I ordered a few more 321's a couple of weeks ago but the website said there was an error when paying for them. I PM'd you Mike when this happened on the 31st May to check whether my order had come through or not but to date have not heard back.

I noticed you have been active on rmweb but failed to respond to my PM.

Bearing in mind I have spent the best part of £2,000 with revolution trains I'd have expected some kind of response from you.

Hope to hear from.

Yours most annoyed

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy,

I will answer this as I believe Mike is away this weekend. I am sorry you're feeling neglected and we will sort out any issues with your order as soon as possible.

Everything has come at once on numerous projects - Class B tankers, Class 92 sample, Class 321 CADs, HOA CADs etc.

Plus we agreed to help send out the Project Railway Honour models as their proposer has been deployed abroad. So far we have sent out around 100 models, with more still to go.

The 321 order book is not closing yet, nor have we put the prices up, and sorting out any issues for this model will be dealt with as soon as we can.

We really value everyone's support and I am sorry you feel unhappy,

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben & Mike,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to both of you.

Taking British modern image n gauge to the next level as a sideline (or dare I say a hobby) alongside what I know are very busy day jobs is pretty amazing.

If these turn out to be anywhere near as good as the TEAs and as promising as the Pendo and 92 then I for one will be very very happy.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Thank you Ben for posting the latest CAD cams, they look superb.

I ordered a few more 321's a couple of weeks ago but the website said there was an error when paying for them. I PM'd you Mike when this happened on the 31st May to check whether my order had come through or not but to date have not heard back.

I noticed you have been active on rmweb but failed to respond to my PM.

Bearing in mind I have spent the best part of £2,000 with revolution trains I'd have expected some kind of response from you.

Hi Jeremy

Apologies - I'll be quite honest and say that I had completely missed your PM (it always better to email me plus we both then have a permanent record).

I'll look at it now and reply offline.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a quick note to say that Revolution Trains is on stand 16 at The International N Gauge Show (TINGS) in Warwickshire this weekend.

We will have the latest news on the 320/321 project (headline: We really need those expressions of interest to turn into firm orders so we can go to tooling) and the latest CADs.

post-420-0-09212900-1504813446_thumb.png

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame,

The Model Rail report is accurate. It is taken from a press release sent out immediately to all publications (including the N Gauge Journal) on Sept 12th. What specifically is confusing you? I am happy to respond to any questions if the following does not answer them...

As Mike and I have said to our supporters at exhibitions, on our own website in updates on June 15th and Sept 9th, here (post 387 above), and on the N Gauge Forum, we are strongly urging anyone interested in this model to consider ordering now as expressions of interest - which were very strong - have not yet translated into orders. This means we don't have the funds to go from CAD to tooling.

Why is this? My guess is that it's a combination of various factors including people waiting to see the CADs (and orders have picked up since they were published), people assuming that because our other projects (bar the 21/29) have proceeded without incident that they can hold off ordering a 321and "it will be fine", our having to drop the particular livery they want, and perhaps because people, understandably, are waiting for their Pendolinos before committing more funds.

To address this last point we have amended our position in that we won't take a final view on the 321 until those customers who ordered Pendos have received their models.

I do understand that for some people personal circumstances may have changed since they expressed an interest (and thanks to those who've contacted me privately explaining their reasons) but I don't think that can explain the significant shortfall we are seeing.

Mike and I are very uncomfortable holding money pledged in good faith indefinitely so if orders don't pick up after that we will have to cancel this model (or, dare I say, put it in "abeyance") and return any money paid out.

It's obviously not the news we want to give but we have to be realistic. If this project stalls then so be it; what we won't do is keep kidding people that things are happening if they are not.

Having said that, this does remind me a little of the early stages of trying to generate interest in the Pendolino, where things really picked up once word got out. So I would urge anyone who wants one of these models to make sure any modelling friends or fellow club members who might be interested are at least aware of it, and of the need to step forward soon.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Obviously disappointing news, however I applaud your openness & honesty Ben. 

Can you give us a rough idea of how far off the required total we are, more than 50%?

I have to wonder if the Farish 319 has eaten into potential customers for the 321, but hopefully people will come forward if the prospect of it not going ahead is there. I'll have to see if I can free up funds for a second model.

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure - Mike has the figures. I think we are over half way but not at the point where we can be confident enough to start spending money on tooling.

Despite the lengthy whinge above, I am still optimistic that we can get this one over the line. I mean, these units are just so useful, and they have a certain fugly appeal too!

And of course once we have a Mk3 chassis, floor unit and bogies then other possibilities - hopefully to complement the 321 and Farish 319 - open up.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I have three on order (although you are only likely to do two of these). I would potentially order more but the problem with the 321s is that there are too many options/permutations, so what I would be willing to stump up another £200 for is unlikely to appeal to others. You have mentioned the option of using Electra sides on the white version; while I have no problem in being willing to muck up a second hand Farish coach putting the sides on (and mullered quite a few) it's a bit different with a brand new model. Is there a option of working with Electra (or similar) and a company which will can finish the model off to a professional standard for £60 a set?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bomag,

That is an interesting thought. I suppose it depends very much on whether there is anyone prepared to piurchase the decals and do the work at the price point you suggest.

I believe some retailers offer respray/relivery options on models - perhaps they can help?

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Obviously disappointing news, however I applaud your openness & honesty Ben. 

Can you give us a rough idea of how far off the required total we are, more than 50%?

I have to wonder if the Farish 319 has eaten into potential customers for the 321, but hopefully people will come forward if the prospect of it not going ahead is there. I'll have to see if I can free up funds for a second model.

Tom. 

I agree with Tom that GF may have muddied the waters a bit by announcing their 319. But we will probably waiting a while for that based on their current record.

Perhaps Ben & Mike could look at other options to finance the project. I think Ben is right that it will be successful but many folk who would buy one won't go for a pre-purchase. Still a lot of sceptics out there as well as people who will simply not know about it until they see one in the flesh.

Hi Bomag,

That is an interesting thought. I suppose it depends very much on whether there is anyone prepared to piurchase the decals and do the work at the price point you suggest.

I believe some retailers offer respray/relivery options on models - perhaps they can help?

Cheers

Ben A.

This is an interesting concept - create a slightly lower cost undecorated model and have someone like Electra or Mercig do magic on them for an additional charge - the problem would be what happens if there isn't the market.  I suppose plan B - buy any livery and ask someone to repaint.

You won't get a high quality respray on a four car set for £60! You'd be looking at double at least.

Graphic overlays have their place but not on an expensive new model. The finish isn't anywhere near the quality of factory finished or a proper respray.

Personally, it looks like my choices of WYPTE or Northern won't make the cut. Understandable given the limited area of operation. Hopefully it'll still go ahead, and I'll switch to a ScotRail 320

I certainly agree with Ash regarding full side vinyl overlays, which have been the commercial option to date. But the rationale behind those was to be able to cover existing colouring.

If it's a plain white body, suddenly we have the option of full side decals (printed on clear decal paper). Cut carefully into sections around raised detail like doors and windows, and use plenty of decal solution, and you're away - especially if done by a pro.

It would certainly work for liveries like First Great Eastern.

No disrespect to Adam and ERG, but decals have always been a better quality product. The original TPM kit to make a 442 Wessex Electric from Mk3s had custom Fox decals - the result was much better than vinyl versions.

Justin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

At the moment there aren't enough takers for the Strathclyde, but it is close enough to still be in the mix. It is such an iconic livery it'd be a real shame to have to drop it.

As to undecorated models, these would be the same price as decorated. It seems illogical, but to the factory it is just a different version of the same model. This is why our suggested option is plain white. Then the grey roofs, underframe details interiors, silver window frames and yellow ends are already painted so all that is needed is to apply main body colours and numbers with paint, decals or, if preferred, vinyls.

The only way for customers who don't want to step forward now to get these models later is from retailers such as C&M and Collett's who've ordered our models to sell on at a fair profit. Our projects are ringfenced and each has to fund itself.

Cheers

Ben A.