Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

I'm interested in purchasing one of the two forthcoming releases of the Class 101.  According to Bachmann's website both are scheduled to be in the shops in either November or December. The Network SouthEast version is what captures my attention. Problem is with the publicity photo. The NSE version (shown on the right) is missing a railcar set number and logo on the cab front. Also the  front window surrounds I recall as being painted in black. So this model appears strange in my eyes

Is this an image of the actual model, or with the livery photoshopped onto it ? 

post-1-0-68959900-1456909126_thumb.jpg

I would say that's a fully painted pre-production model (possibly to test the liveries) as there's some fuzziness where blue meets white, and this will be how the model is produced (see also here: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-290DS.jpg&cat_no=32-290DS&info=0&width=1500&height=419).

This would be correct for this 101, coach numbers 54068 and 51444:

16157993673_f8175d2cae_c.jpg101 51444 54068 Cambridge by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

8500641291_74ef2b8759_c.jpg54068+51444, 54379 by 81,CIG-BIG-CIG, on Flickr

They did receive black window surrounds later on:https://flic.kr/p/bC7wwa

October 2016 Railway Modeller has a news item on p914 titled 'Catch-up time for Bachmann'. Apart from some errors in the availability dates, due no doubt to the time lag between submission of the article and publication, the article covers issues such as:

New product announcements will only be made when they are ready for distribution to shops, on or about the time the new catalogue is published (January-February);

On-going improvements to manufacturing processes and products with an enlarged engineering team in Hong Kong fully integrated with enhanced EP sampling and QC measures;

After-sales service will be improved by: more detailed data sheets including dismantling and fitting instructions for DCC decoders; commitment to best possible after-sales service, with in warranty products returned to the selling dealer for repair or replacement FOC and others out of warranty repaired at cost of parts and labour;

Dynamis Railcontroller due for release, to link WindowsTM computers to layouts to control locomotives etc. either by touch screen (if available) or mouse pointer and which will have DCC profiles for existing and future Branchline and Graham Farish products (will that be an inadvertent giveaway to future products?);

Confirms availability of Turkish-made Proses modelling products (the cutting table is reviewed on p911);

Commentary on previous announcements dating back to the Cl 158 in the 2012 catalogue with tables listing new products (10) with release dates (some already shifted backwards, e.g Thompson carriages) and those still on the drawing board (21). The delay with the Cl 158 is explained as the need for an unobtrusive drive train. Several EPs are illustrated.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Kernows site, the new 80135 is out, in BR lined green. Interestingly it has modern yellow warning flashes on it, as post 2004 onwards, rather than the red/ white warning flashes it carried in the 1980's -c2003 (which is how the previous release was modelled).

This forwards dates the current rendition as to how it operated around 2004, and presumably how it will be when it returns to service.

The real loco is mid-overhaul but has some issues.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/news/80135-progress-statement

October 2016 Railway Modeller has a news item on p914 titled 'Catch-up time for Bachmann'. Apart from some errors in the availability dates, due no doubt to the time lag between submission of the article and publication, the article covers issues such as:

New product announcements will only be made when they are ready for distribution to shops, on or about the time the new catalogue is published (January-February);

On-going improvements to manufacturing processes and products with an enlarged engineering team in Hong Kong fully integrated with enhanced EP sampling and QC measures;

After-sales service will be improved by: more detailed data sheets including dismantling and fitting instructions for DCC decoders; commitment to best possible after-sales service, with in warranty products returned to the selling dealer for repair or replacement FOC and others out of warranty repaired at cost of parts and labour;

Dynamis Railcontroller due for release, to link WindowsTM computers to layouts to control locomotives etc. either by touch screen (if available) or mouse pointer and which will have DCC profiles for existing and future Branchline and Graham Farish products (will that be an inadvertent giveaway to future products?);

Confirms availability of Turkish-made Proses modelling products (the cutting table is reviewed on p911);

Commentary on previous announcements dating back to the Cl 158 in the 2012 catalogue with tables listing new products (10) with release dates (some already shifted backwards, e.g Thompson carriages) and those still on the drawing board (21). The delay with the Cl 158 is explained as the need for an unobtrusive drive train. Several EPs are illustrated.

So no new announcements for a couple of years.... I can't see that happening!

So no new announcements for a couple of years.... I can't see that happening!

That is NOT what the article reports that the Bachmann management said. The Bachmann statement is that new product announcements will only be made when items are ready for distribution to the shops; that in no way prevents Bachmann working on something hitherto unknown right now, having it in production and announcing it early in the New Year.

That is NOT what the article reports that the Bachmann management said. The Bachmann statement is that new product announcements will only be made when items are ready for distribution to the shops; that in no way prevents Bachmann working on something hitherto unknown right now, having it in production and announcing it early in the New Year.

Having been constantly bashed for late delivery to market this statement allows them to avoid any criticism whilst they get on with it.

The catologues could be a bit lack lustre for the next couple of years...

Having been constantly bashed for late delivery to market this statement allows them to avoid any criticism whilst they get on with it.

I think that's better than filling them with fantasy models.

(I'm still trying to retain my enthusiasm for a brand-new Class 158, featured in the catalogue 4 years ago and, for a reason they have now stated, still nowhere near production. The prototype was designed and built in less time...).

Paul

• RMweb Gold

(I'm still trying to retain my enthusiasm for a brand-new Class 158, featured in the catalogue 4 years ago and, for a reason they have now stated, still nowhere near production. The prototype was designed and built in less time...).

Paul

And then proved to be an embarrassment in terms of reliability for a while.Maybe B R  should have adopted Bachmann's more cautious approach  ? :onthequiet:

Full of adverts for Mortgage applications and Bank Loans  :O  :jester:  :mosking:

And then proved to be an embarrassment in terms of reliability for a while.Maybe B R should have adopted Bachmann's more cautious approach ?

Yet still it was delightful to walk into the station and see a 158 waiting at the platform, rather than the rattling 15x that they were to replace.

And in fairness to BR, a full-sized Class 158 is everso slightly more complicated than a Bachmann model.

Paul

And in fairness to BR, a full-sized Class 158 is everso slightly more complicated than a Bachmann model.

Paul

If BR were still in business, you might expect a picture showing all the separate components that went into a 158 in the manner of a Bachmann picture. Pity the poor travellers on platforms wondering what had happened to their 158. :)

• RMweb Gold

Paul

The prototype had a difficult birth, I think. ISTR a furore about Sunday newspaper quotes, allegedly from a frustrated Project Manager. I think welding of aluminium was the issue, and BREL were not experienced at it, or something like that.

Nope. I was at the press day when this information was provided and they did say that if they are able to reduce the backlog and progress projects they are currently working on they were hoping to launch new catalogues early in the new year that would included new announcements.

Also if you take the time to read the article you will notice that they have initiated changes to speed up development of new products so hopefully the 'lack lustre' claim is wide of the mark.

G.

• RMweb Gold

The prototype had a difficult birth, I think. ISTR a furore about Sunday newspaper quotes, allegedly from a frustrated Project Manager. I think welding of aluminium was the issue, and BREL were not experienced at it, or something like that.

And not the only one - there was a story doing the rounds about the way in which the engines were (or sometimes weren't) fixed to the underframe.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine was a project engineer at Cummins and worked on their Class 158 engine project. He always tells me that the main weakness with the engines was that they weren't really the most appropriate engines for the duty cycle. He has quite an equal opportunities approach in sharing the blame equally between BREL and Cummins for that. I'm not sure how right he is (I think we all know how reliable anecdotal stories are, even when those with the anecdotes believe they are accurate) but he told me the commercial model used for the 158 engines was very different to earlier projects and that this drove some poor decisions.

I'm interested in purchasing one of the two forthcoming releases of the Class 101.  According to Bachmann's website both are scheduled to be in the shops in either November or December. The Network SouthEast version is what captures my attention. Problem is with the publicity photo. The NSE version (shown on the right) is missing a railcar set number and logo on the cab front. Also the  front window surrounds I recall as being painted in black. So this model appears strange in my eyes

Shame they never corrected the position of all the side windows, they are far too high,  Shame really, just a little bit of care would have spotted this. See the NSE version. Charlie

I picked up the wagons from the Military moves set, very nice they are too. Standard Bachmann wagons I am sure with a lick of green paint. Need to get the 03 to go with now. 

I agree about the wagons – very useful. However, mine will be pulled by the LMR blue USA tank when it appears, turn and turn about with the LMR Austerity, which I’m not allowed to call a J94. :)

I'm interested in purchasing one of the two forthcoming releases of the Class 101. According to Bachmann's website both are scheduled to be in the shops in either November or December. The Network SouthEast version is what captures my attention. Problem is with the publicity photo. The NSE version (shown on the right) is missing a railcar set number and logo on the cab front. Also the front window surrounds I recall as being painted in black. So this model appears strange in my eyes

Does anyone know what the destination display is at the other end of the refurbished white / blue 'CREWE' example?

No doubt all the new 00 scale multiple units will have an eye watering RRP. As for fitting passengers to coaches that will probably cost about 15 pounds extra and is not really required.. The new scalescenes' church has a list price of ninety odd quid. What is needed is a RTR Midland 1P no sign of that. Can't Bachmann just put on the big detail and leave the smaller details on the sprue to be fitted by the customer?

A friend of mine was a project engineer at Cummins and worked on their Class 158 engine project. He always tells me that the main weakness with the engines was that they weren't really the most appropriate engines for the duty cycle. He has quite an equal opportunities approach in sharing the blame equally between BREL and Cummins for that. I'm not sure how right he is (I think we all know how reliable anecdotal stories are, even when those with the anecdotes believe they are accurate) but he told me the commercial model used for the 158 engines was very different to earlier projects and that this drove some poor decisions.

He is very probably right about their suitability.  Rail traction is by far the worst duty for diesel engines - lots of idling followed by bursts of high output gives rise to lots of thermal fatigue. In contrast, marine main propulsion and auxiliary engines have a very cushy life with many hours at relatively constant output.  Quite a few of the engines in the early BR modernisation suffered from thermal fatigue.  For more details on the problem see R.M.Tufnell, The Diesel Impact on British Rail. Mechanical Engineering Publications 1979.  This is an excellent read and source of information.

peterfgf

• RMweb Gold

Shame they never corrected the position of all the side windows, they are far too high, Shame really, just a little bit of care would have spotted this. See the NSE version. Charlie

The first class yellow looks a bit thick but the windows don't look that wrong to me using the photos posted on the previous page.

post-6968-0-42665300-1475132697.jpeg

Archived