• 3 weeks later...

I was taking photos north of Carlisle station at Caldew Junction on 20 August 1992 when a down express approached headed by Class 87 87012. As it drew near there was this almighty bang and I noticed two 'waterfalls' of liquid starting to pour out of the loco. It started to slow down and went about a quarter of a mile before stopping near Etterby Bridge at Kingmoor.

Anyone and idea what caused this?

The truncated track at the bottom all that is left of the freight avoiding line.

post-19218-0-58603100-1509724550_thumb.jpg

post-19218-0-48984100-1509724561_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was taking photos north of Carlisle station at Caldew Junction on 20 August 1992 when a down express approached headed by Class 87 87012. As it drew near there was this almighty bang and I noticed two 'waterfalls' of liquid starting to pour out of the loco. It started to slow down and went about a quarter of a mile before stopping near Etterby Bridge at Kingmoor.

The truncated track at the bottom all that is left of the freight avoiding line.

attachicon.gifCA059_14_20171103_0017_1200.jpg

attachicon.gifCA059_14_20171103_0017_1200_crop.jpg

Driver got took short and isn’t going to use the loo when standing in the station ?

attachicon.gifCA059_14_20171103_0017_1200.jpg

attachicon.gifCA059_14_20171103_0017_1200_crop.jpg

My guess is a catastrophic transformer winding failure, rupturing the casing and causing a leakage of oil coolant....but I do like the explanation given above :)

Edited by letterspider

Another one taken some time in 1986 at Carlisle: 

post-24907-0-35065400-1509739348_thumb.jpg

47526 Northumbria ​departs south from Carlisle passing 86428 Aldaniti in the centre road. If I remember correctly the 47 had taken over from the 86 which had brought the train in from the north and this was a loco changeover. It was only when sorting out this scan that I realised the 47 has a missing light on the headcode replacement panel!

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 16

Another one taken some time in 1986 at Carlisle: 

attachicon.gif(0701aS) (must be 86428 Aldaniti) + 47526 Northumbria at Carlisle 1986 (T Ermel).jpg

47526 Northumbria ​departs south from Carlisle passing 86428 Aldaniti in the centre road. If I remember correctly the 47 had taken over from the 86 which had brought the train in from the north and this was a loco changeover. It was only when sorting out this scan that I realised the 47 has a missing light on the headcode replacement panel!

Trevor

Is the marker light on the original, scanners can occasionally scan what they think is there rather than what is actually there.

Is the marker light on the original, scanners can occasionally scan what they think is there rather than what is actually there.

Good point. I'll have to dig out the original colour slide (Filing system? What filing system?!) and report back. Could be a long wait...

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

There was a GE line unit that aquired a former Bury Line driving trailer back in the 1970s presumably after a prang, but for the life of me and without trying to retrieve my Ian Allan ABCs from the era I can't remember what class it was.  That's clearly the ex class 504 trailer though.

[edit] it was actually a Tilbury line unit and 244 was in fact a Class 302, there are photos over on Flickr of the other end!

Edited by wombatofludham

According to the Flickrati 244 was involved in a level crossing collision in Tilbury which is how it came to acquire the former Bury line trailer.  It survived long enough to recieve blue and grey livery.

The old Ian Allan ABCs were great for identifying oddball formations.  There were a number of LMR AM10 units that had non-standard formations, one acquired a demoted driving trailer composite to replace an accident damaged DTS (you could tell them apart by the number of side doors to the saloon) and another gained a rebuilt trailer second for a DTS, again identifiable by the different bodyside door configuration, whilst one of the Clacton 309s was identified as having a former Swindon Class 123 buffet in place of the griddle if I recall correctly.

Funny how these things stick in your mind more than 40 years on...

Lovely picture but surely a 305 or 308

Er, no. 305s and 308s had ends like this:

4447830869_496b2cd159_z.jpg?zz=1305_404_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

According to the Flickrati 244 was involved in a level crossing collision in Tilbury which is how it came to acquire the former Bury line trailer.  It survived long enough to recieve blue and grey livery.

The old Ian Allan ABCs were great for identifying oddball formations.  There were a number of LMR AM10 units that had non-standard formations, one acquired a demoted driving trailer composite to replace an accident damaged DTS (you could tell them apart by the number of side doors to the saloon) and another gained a rebuilt trailer second for a DTS, again identifiable by the different bodyside door configuration, whilst one of the Clacton 309s was identified as having a former Swindon Class 123 buffet in place of the griddle if I recall correctly.

Funny how these things stick in your mind more than 40 years on...

This is the one with the rebuilt trailer second: 

29823269924_b14808ca66_c.jpg310094_undated by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks for posting the picture Robert.  It seems odd that when going to all the trouble of grafting a cab onto the end of a TS they didn't alter the first seating bay to the more normal non-door style, but at least it gave us a bit of variety.

Being of integral construction there were some sections where it was not possible to alter the bodywork while maintaining shear strength of the body.

• 2 weeks later...