Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

There were four EPs of the J72 in the display cabinets, all showing a selection of detail differences for the potential variants ranging from NER through to LNER and BR built locos. There are various smokebox door darts/wheel combinations, buffer types, non and vac fitted early and late sand box configuration along with working 3 link couplings ready fitted.

Pre fitted speaker in the bunker, flickering LED firebox, positionable headlamps (four included with the loco though I think non-working) and full cab detail were all pointed out so it's definitely a step up from the groundbreaking Mainline tooling!

Given the details and features, it's going to be North of £100 but in the current market I think that's pretty reasonable, and I'll definitely be in for a couple of them, depending on livery and number combination (which are yet to be announced)

Only managed to get on photo worth sharing of those not on the spinning plinths as I only had my phone with me, but hopefully it'll be of use and interest!

post-7895-0-13259400-1511677468_thumb.jpg

They've certainly got the face of the loco right in my opinion, now for some other items from the same Railway family please!

Cheers

J

• Like 7

My guess is just shy of £200 for RRP .......

Assuming  it  is  powered,  assuming  it  is  digitally  controlled,  then  I reckon  that  by  the  time  it  is released on  the  market  closer  to  £275.00,  If  it  is  available  with  sound  then  this may be  higher!

I could  of  course  be  incorrect  but looking  at  some  other SRSPs  around  for  other  new  items  currently   the  Hobby  is  going to become  more  expensive.

• Like 1

The steam crane price will depend on the "bells and whistles."  IF it has DCC controlled lifting and slewing then it will be £250-ish.  I see no reason for this and think it will be "dumb" with any "action features" being handled by sockets where you need a "key" to pull the ropes.  For that I reckon £160-ish.

The problem I see for Bachmann is how many liveries ?  BR Black and Red are obvious, but how many regional variations ?   I would buy a BR Black in Southern Region markings, but not any other region for the prices i've guessed at.

Still it's a beautiful  model.  Good luck to them.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Anyone want a pot-shot at the eventual RRP for the steam crane? I'll have a go - £175.

But only with the initial 15% discount.  I reckon they'll target bringing it in at  just under £200 - and it will sell like hot cakes with most version 'sold out' at the factory before they're even put on the boat in China.  If there is any sort of power arrangement within it then it could well be more and if it has some really clever dcc controlled functions then Steve Lewis' estimate will probably be nearer than anybody else's (including mine) - but some versions will still go off the shelves like hotcakes.

Incidentally judging by the pics posted here they are also making a good job of the GWR runner wagon.  Incidentally looking at Phil's comments and the posted photos the intention appears to be to produce reasonably accurate representations of the different owners' versions so the next question is about livery variations based on that starting point.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If Hattons are releasing the dynamometer car at £125, i would think the Crane must be more. It certainly looks to have a multitude of small parts to assemble.

Nik

Er...Rails.My personal picks of the new release line up were the two Halls which rang the authentic bell,the H2....divine... and the teak Thompsons. All in all,although nothing immediately exciting was on hand,there was a touch of class about it..in short,quality.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I’m finding this discussion about the crane’s eventual price a little disturbing. I wasn’t expecting the original £60, but over £200? That would make me re-think my existing order, and as disposable incomes go I think I’m probably in the luckier half. No disputing the quality, but I’m not sure Bachmann can afford to set the price that high.

I've had a look through the thread, but I can't see any mention of the planned retool for the GWR Mogul. Has this been made official yet?

I am 95% certain that Bachmann have not, at any stage, announced a retool for their GWR Mogul, much as we disciples of Swindon would welcome one with open arms!

In terms of the steam crane, I mentally broke down the constituent parts as follows- in the theoretical eventuality whereby they were available for purchase separately: 

The two larger match trucks - @ £35 each. Hattons warflats were £33 and these have more detail and will no doubt emerge two year later, with the inflationary effect that that brings!

The small match truck @ £20. Going rate for a new-tool small four wheel truck these days

The crane itself @ £85. More difficult to find a direct comparator out there in the market, but arguably this has more separately added detail than some locos, and the jib and cab will both be expected to be movable. The only reason I haven't pegged this to the price of a new tool tank engine at £100 - £130 is that there obviously won't be a motor and drive train fitted. 

Think that's reasonable to assume. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

I must admit I’m finding this discussion about the crane’s eventual price a little disturbing. I wasn’t expecting the original £60, but over £200? That would make me re-think my existing order, and as disposable incomes go I think I’m probably in the luckier half. No disputing the quality, but I’m not sure Bachmann can afford to set the price that high.

This is why I don't pre-order until there is a RRP avilable from the manufacturer, which for the crane there still isn't one, and completely ignore the Hattons made up price.

Edited by Paul.Uni